Our house was broken into last night... (February 9th)

thfc2001

So there's me idlelly reading this forum over the last year or so, lamenting the seeming increase in break-ins/burglaries/thefts in the area when I come home yesterday to find our house had been broken into (we back onto Camberwell Old Cemetery, just off Forest Hill Road). They forced open the windows downstairs and went through a couple of the upstairs rooms but only seem to have taken a camera and some jewellery... Some kind witness saw a person jump from the upstairs bedroom windown and flee into the night, reporting it to the police...

Feels horrid that someone was in our house, going through our stuff, and now they know where everything is (computers, tv, etc) theres the fear they will come back...

Just want to let you all know to keep on your guard...

Sorry to hear that THFC..

They won?t come and it will get better. I was the same last year, I'd jump and the littlest noise.

The window bolts that Will dex mentioned above are good. Also contact victim support to get window vibration alarms; they are very effective and FREE!!

I also got an alarm system fitted when I was burgled and it?s a piece of mind whilst I'm out.

Good luck...

So sorry to hear this. I logged on today to report something similiar. We live near Ivydale Road and were burgled early Tuesday morning while we slept. They took tv, cameras, games, purses and car keys, which they used to drive off in our car in! I am heavily pregnant and my four year old was asleep upstairs. Horrible, just horrible. My neighbour said that she had an attempted robbery a few days before. I have been keeping all my stuff upstairs and carrying keys around. Its really effected us all. Keep safe folks - I am so grateful for all the support from my neighbours since the incident.

ses - just some jewellery and a camera... more worried that they know where everything is now and that they may come back.. We've had new bolts put on the windows now...

Sorry to hear you got done as well, ad2000, some nasty people around..

Jimmyay - we have single sash windows, old style... and ultrauk - it was early evening we think, about six-ish, just after it got dark...

They almost always come back as they feel more confident,

So get the place barred and locked and you will feel more secure especially when you're there alone.

It will cost a grand before you have finished, unless you or your spouse is a DIY freak.

Never leave handbags or keys downstairs overnight. Don't leave things on the stairs where they can be seen. I am not embellishing the facts but burglars have been known to use long bamboo poles to hook bags etc off the stairs through the letter box and to then drag them to the front door where they can pull them up and find keys in the bag. hey presto and they're in your house and got your car.

Don't leave lap tops leaning up against the wall where they can be seen through the windows either. If burglars can see things which they can quickly grab then all the better.

So Stalkey what should I do about the keys? My partner locked the front door last night but I was worried about getting out during a fire. We left the keys in the lock so our kids could get out even if we couldn't. However, if thieves can hook the keys from the lock where should you keep them?

Any advice?

Leaving the key in the lock is almost as good as leaving it unlocked. Keep a spare key on a hook inside a cupboard that would be easy to access during an emergency.

PS Check your insurance policy - leaving a door not double locked may mean they don't pay out. They may also have a view on locked, but not securing the key.

Good idea Jeremy but my partner is now paranoid and wants the 5 lever lock on.

I thought you only had to lock the door if you went out not when youre asleep, for insurance purposes.?? I will check this - thanks.

I could put it on a nail but I do worry about trying to find the keys and putting them in the lock in a house full of smoke / in the dark. Our neighbour's house burnt down a few years back and we had to escape in the dark becuase the electrics failed. This all won't help anyway if they break in the window - which they did to my friends in West Wickham by smashing the glass using some kind of noise silencer.

I think we'll just have to teach the kids how to find the key and open the door in the dark lol.

My parents used to lock our front door mortice lock and hang the key on a hook at the hinge side of the door (which was flush with the door). This was helped by the fact that the letterbox was on a window at the opposite side of the door (1970s houses for you). we were all rigourously trained to be able to find the key in the evnt of fire etc.

Have you thought of getting a chain fitted? I was burgled 18 months ago (by spiderman who jumped a 60ft drop to get in to my 5th floor flat!) and Victim Support came and fitted a chain for me and offered to fit a cage around the letter box too.

Just checked with the insurance co. and yes they said I'm not insured if the door is not locked when I'm asleep or if the key is left in the door. I'm also not insured if any of my windows are opened in a way that a human body can fit through, even in the room I sleep! Good job we only have one hot day per year.

I shall be heading for the lock shop tomm.

You should attach your spare door keys to a torch and keep them by your bed. In the event of a fire, you could become disorientated in the smoke and dark. Finding your way down stairs could be difficult, let alone trying to find keys!

A key left in the door or within access of the letterbox is not a clever idea and could invalidate insurance.

Hope this helps.