White Stuff.. change of mind?

White Stuff had a link on their page with Dulwich being advertised as a new store opening in March, however, Dulwich has now been removed from their list of new stores opening in the future. Anyone else know more about this?

Shame if so. I know I'm in a minority but I like them - cheap and cheery skirts and frocks, and the option of getting a plain old t-shirt without having to schlep to town was appealing. I like the stuff in ED but some of it just isn't 'everyday', nor is it cheap for students like me.

Because the cheapest t-shirt I saw in Ed today was just under ?40 and wasn't even that nice...I'm not saying it's rock bottom, just normal. I've looked at men's t-shirts in there and they're ?50! The prices in Moo Too are just shocking as well and their stuff is even weirder.

Bottom line, anything is better than 3 empty shops (all of the old W.Glazing), boarded up on LL. So we will prob have to wait another 6 months, and remember Parkhill propoerties own it, so don't expect a tee t-shop owned locally....

tjs..... you are so right, parkhill own half of LL. Difficult for us little landlords to buy anything and deal with local business. They own the proposed new gymn aswell. Whatever they own you can be sure will be a chain (Like caffe nero) as they own that too. But then again you never know, the new kitchen shop isnt a chain, nor is green and blue.....but that is a tiny selection in their porfolio...........

I heard that white stuff were having some problems agreeing the terms of the lease.

They had been planning to open by end of March - though that must look pretty unlikely now.

It would be nicer to have an independent boutique selling a selection of different brands - but I guess it's difficult to please everyone even with this approach. Ed's on North Cross Road for example has a small selection of menswear, but nothing that quite appeals to me. Does anyone buy stuff from there? I don't even know what I would want from a local boutique really, so much men's clothing is disappointing/expensive or both. But it would be nice to have more choice than we've currently got...

bald marauder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I heard that white stuff were having some problems

> agreeing the terms of the lease.

> They had been planning to open by end of March -

> though that must look pretty unlikely now.

> It would be nicer to have an independent boutique

> selling a selection of different brands - but I

> guess it's difficult to please everyone even with

> this approach. Ed's on North Cross Road for

> example has a small selection of menswear, but

> nothing that quite appeals to me. Does anyone buy

> stuff from there? I don't even know what I would

> want from a local boutique really, so much men's

> clothing is disappointing/expensive or both. But

> it would be nice to have more choice than we've

> currently got...

I'd like to see an H&M opening here, except that is highly unlikely as they tend to open stores in large premises. Their clothes are trendy yet extremely reasonable and cover a wide range, to suit children, men, women and pregnant women. Brilliant I'd say.

Jeremy Wrote:

> H&M clothes fall to bits - but if you want

> something which is essentially disposable, then I

> guess it's fine.

They're not the best quality, but when you consider what you pay for them, are they that bad?

I bought a pair of jeans and a few t-shirts in October and they are all still going strong, almost 6 months on! If you're layering for example, a few ?5 t-shirts do the trick - who really cares what they look like underneath during winter. Better than paying ?30 a pop at a more upmarket place in my opinion.

Hmm need to ask how someone produces clothes so cheaply (and high volume driving price down is not entirely the right answer)

?30 for one T over longer term = better quality, less wastage

?5 x 4 for four Ts over short term....

Different horses, different courses ;-)

QZ Wrote:

> Hmm need to ask how someone produces clothes so

> cheaply (and high volume driving price down is not

> entirely the right answer)

>

> ?30 for one T over longer term = better quality,

> less wastage

> ?5 x 4 for four Ts over short term....

>

> Different horses, different courses ;-)

As I think I mentioned before, there is a 0% chance of them ever coming out to Dulwich anyway, but I suppose what I was trying to get across is that everyone on this board makes such a big deal of the newcomers with "money" and the old inhabitants with "none", that I thought H&M would be a good compromise: very reasonable prices, yet quite trendy, to suit all the "Claphamites", but also affordable for the existing natives of East Dulwich. (td) (tu)

Just like to point out that amongst the ED newbies 'with money', there must be plenty like myself who are relatively new (18 months) but don't have any more money than 'locals'. We regularly go down to Primark in Peckham - and while I know they've probably got even more ethical issue than H&M - ?5.99 for a men's v-neck jumper is hard to beat...)

I used to work for an H&M supplier years ago.

At that time small children are used as workers in its supply chain. Maybe not in factories, but picking cotton in the fields etc.

Don't get me started on Primark. Shame the entire chain didn't burn down - and it was just the warehouse..