East Dulwich Garden Centre - possibly replaced with flats

TJS

Looks like they have submitted another planning application:

Proposal: Demolition of existing buildings and erection of part 3 and part 4 storey building comprising of 24 residential units (6 x 1 and 18 x 2 bedroom flats) with associated parking and facilities, landscaping, waste and recycling storage, renewable energy panels, amenity space (shared and private) and ClassD1 community facility (shown as library).

I have to say I find these planning applications a little odd from time to time, there was an application to turn 2 Lordship Lane into a dental surgery but according to the Land Registry the applicants were not the owners of the site. I could not understand how someone who didn't own the property was permitted to make a planning application to change its use. If the owner of Dulwich Garden Centre is not interested in selling who has made the application and by what right?

I am a regular of the garden centre. You want affordable housing in ED? No housing in ED is affordable!!! why are'they' taking away the facilities that make ED special. All this place will become is an area with trendy flats and bars and over priced god damn boutiques.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have to say I find these planning applications a

> little odd from time to time, there was an

> application to turn 2 Lordship Lane into a dental

> surgery but according to the Land Registry the

> applicants were not the owners of the site. I

> could not understand how someone who didn't own

> the property was permitted to make a planning

> application to change its use. If the owner of

> Dulwich Garden Centre is not interested in selling

> who has made the application and by what right?

My understanding is that anyone can make an application on any property or site at any time. You don't need to be the owner. Quite why anyone would want to submit an application under such circumstances is a matter for speculation and gossip. The reality must be that when an application has been made it is for a good reason (from the applicants point of view at least).

"I could not understand how someone who didn't own the property was permitted to make a planning application to change its use."

It could be that the dentist is exploring whether of change of use would be agreed before they purchase a lease. It would be a bit of a disaster if they bought the lease first and then found they couldn't get it and therefore couldn't set up their business.

I was meaning "affordable housing" in the government scheme of things i.e it's made available to council/HA tenants and key workers but I still stand by the fact that I made a mistake and should have said key worker housing originally.

The flats on Grove vale opposite texaco aren't flats really, but rooms for Kings and Maudsley staff to rent, with shared kitchens in the main. They're like uni halls (i had the pleasure of living there for 10 months!) Good for what they are there for but not open to all.

The garden centre owners own that land and business outright. They will one day retire and sell up but I've heard they have no plans to do it yet. One day it will happen though and I'm sure that the planning permissions we're seeing is a sign of the vultures circling and waiting for the day when the owners cash in their chips.

"The flats on Grove vale opposite texaco aren't flats really, but rooms for Kings and Maudsley staff to rent, with shared kitchens in the main. They're like uni halls (i had the pleasure of living there for 10 months!) Good for what they are there for but not open to all."

Yes, that's what I thought. Almost what they uses to previously refer to as 'Nurses Homes'. The things that were nearly all disposed of in the 1980s and 90s. Isn't there a planning condition there too that none of the residents should have cars?

• 2 weeks later...

How dare anyone try to build yet more housing in an area which is becoming stretched as it is. The buses (which I refuse to use) are now filled to bursting point, the roads are congested, the post office and bank (mine anyway) are always packed and it takes me hours to queue. We cannot sustain yet more housing affordable (whatever that is) or not! Plus I buy my spring bulbs from the Dulwich Garden Centre, I dont wish to be forced to travel to Homebase in Penge every March thankyou very much.

Louisa.

pearcesa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely not another residential development for young professionals in East Dulwich - YAWN!

How do you know that it's for young professionals and not key worker housing? Do you know something we don't? And are you're against the new library too?