The Barry Barry Road Race 2011: Date Announcement - Saturday 23rd of July

Greetings Sports Fans

The time has come to announce the date for the event that has become a firm favourite fixture in the South London Social Scene; The 4th Annual Barry Barry Road Race.

This years date is to be Saturday 23rd of July and we hope to see as many, if not more of you as last year. Last year saw nearly 50 runners with more than that turning up for spectating, supporting and general merriment which was just fantastic.

I have been reliably informed by the good people of the Clockhouse that they will have a highly skilled team of bar ninjas in ready support to provide the essential replacement fluids required after such an arduous event. Also on site there is the high chance of an outdoor bottle bar and BBQ. Additionally a late licence may be in operation, all of which will help top off what is hopefully shaping up to be another fun filled, family friendly, full tilt boogie extravaganza.

In preparation myself, Help Ma Boab, Evel Knievel and a select squad of ED athletes are taking ourselves off to Portugal for a 10 day training camp. It should also be noted that after last year's "Bus Incident" Help Ma Boab has employed the services of ex military types to whip him into shape. Any serious competitors seeking an advantage over one of their fellow runners can chart HMB's progress every Wednesday evening in Peckham Rye Park. He can be easily identified by his Blue bib, long arms and more than likely he'll be doing 'ladies' press ups. Please leave your bus passes at home people!

If anyone is in contact with last years winners can you please ask them to return the Barry Barry Bears to the Clockhouse.

So get training folks, the game is afoot, the Bears are returning home and glory is within easy reach. Please see attached for further details. Starters gun will go off at 3PM from the Plough, with warm up drinks for those serious competitors starting from whenever the Plough opens...Or the Friday night in Eastbourne for the North of Scotland Tennis campaigners.

See ya on the start line folks...

Surfbobby

So the date is now out there. I have indeed been in mild preparation for this years event so will not have to rely on the number 12 (I did swipe on) to assist me down the road......

The Barry Barry Road Race has a pedigree and the sun always shines on race day. Its a barry day for sure. All welcome either as a Barry Runner or supporter and it seems this year we will have even more junior competitors so for the under 12's a half pint at either end is permissable. Birth certifcates will be checked on the day!

For those not sure, a video montage was taken last year:

Now where are those bears....and can someone let SMG know!

I shall be participating again this year. A 100% attendance record. I also hope to maintain my high standard from last year of managing to finish at the same time as the winner of the ladies race.

Rumours that I only pace-set for her due to a picturesque posterior are utterly unfounded.

Sterling work chaps.

BARRY!

Wow. This is inspirational stuff.

The last time I was this excited about sport it was recreating a curling event on a tiled floor using dumbbell weights and a mop.

Is there a records table from previous events?

Has Mr Coe been invited to learn how to put on a proper show?

There is a somewhat chaotic system in place to ensure that all runners have a pint and a short waitng for them, clearly marked with their name at the Clockhouse. Think transition in the tri-athlon. Similar but different!

Bar presence is not an issue, speed of gulp however.....

More details for first time Barry runners nearer the race day as to how it all works. Pretty rustic really! It would be Barry if station manager Barry was on hand for the third year in a row but these are austere times - he threatened to actually run it this year.

Warm weather training in Portugal awaits.

Confident we will have the mens trophy back with the Barry Bear returned to the Clockhouse soon. Still on the trail of the ladies bear, Barriet. Anybody know of her whereabouts?

Hi, would love to be part of the day and will be bringing my management team along as well

As you are aware I have donated prizes of some kind in the past, First Class Tickets, etc, this year I have something a little bit special

I can arrange a tour of The Shard @ London Bridge (will be tallest building in Europe) and be one of the first members of the public to have a look at the site and the fantastic views across London. I am planning a tour with my team to go up so will extend this to the lucky winner and guest. The Shard is not due for completion until May 2012 so as you can appreciate a worthwhile prize. I have attached a picture taken from the 45th floor

Or a return trip to Croydon on a Southern Service......not fussed either way:)

Kind regards

Barry

Barry

Thats a Barry prize and many thanks for your continued support of this fine "sporting" event which you helped to lift out of the amateur era.

This news will help me focus for this years run even more keenly. Ive never been to Croydon! As the nights get longer and the weekends get warmer my endurance is getting better. Will be working on my speed on return from the warm weather training camp.

• 2 weeks later...