Parking in Hayes Grove

Maccers

I recently received a parking ticket (which I am appealing) for parking in Hayes Grove:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|hayes%20grove#t=l&map=51.46278,-0.07785|17|4&loc=GB:51.46278:-0.07785:17|hayes grove|Hayes Grove, London, England, SE2

The issue is, I was parked on the road (not in the private spaces which are clearly marked) and I could see no sign indicating parking restrictions whatsoever. The letter I have received from Parking Control Ltd suggests that they think I was parked on private property. Surely it is still a public highway?

Has this happened to anyone else, or can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Yes, it is just a pick of my car by a kerb. It could've been taken anywhere! There wasn't another car in sight - so it is not even as if I was depriving a local resident of a space.

I realise it's unenforceable - it's just really annoying!

Its not a fine, its an "invoice" - they are claiming you accepted a contrat regarding park in their manor and breached the terms - its a civil offence at worst, not a criminal one.

the key here is that as the registered owner of the car, you are not liable for the actions of wheoever war driving the car at the time - the car itself cannot be taken to court, as it isnt able to make a considered decision as whether to acvcvepted the contract terms or not

Unless they have a pic of you in the car , then under human rights legislation, you are under no obligation to name a driver or indeed give any information that may incriminate yourself

They have to prove that YOU entered the contract. The registered owner isnt liable for the actions of the driver at the time.

admit nothing, state you were not the driver and tell them to get f*cked- they cannot take the registerd owner to civil court - they have to prove you were alos the driver.

also, they may threateen higher fines etc if you dont pay within etc etc - punitive awards are not allowed , they can only take you to court for "loss" - this is remarkably hard to prove

make sure you reply by registyered mail deying you were the driver and requsting that they desist form hassling you again. if they do, get the filth in for harrassment

they will likely send escalating demands out - none of which are enforceable

• 6 months later...
The odds are you parked there to be nearer the station....otherwise friends you were visting would have given you a guest permit? Just walk or get the bus to the station! It's a quiet sreet and doesn't need turning into an NCP car park for those who can't bear the thought of walking for ten minutes.(Yes i live there) I don't agree with the methods of parking companies, but its a necessary evil for the residents of Hayes Grove.

Rhodesy - you do have a point... but you are making assumptions, and from what I have heard so far, I am on the side of the original poster. If you're not supposed to park there, it should be clearly marked - END OF!

Yes, generally we should walk more and drive less, but I think that's really a separate topic.

the methods used by these scum are underhand, irrespective of the situation with the residents

They started sending me County court papers, all filled in, but not registered with the court to provoke fear.

Bottom line, they have to prove you were the driver and implicitly accepted the word of the contract, ie the "fine".

If you cant remember who was in the car that day, then they are powerless.

tell them to f*cuk off and refuse tp provide any information about the driver.

Thanks for all the replies guys - Ratpack, it was a private parking company called UKPC. I received a letter in the post today from them and even they have referred to it as an alleged incident.

Rhodesy thanks for your comment there - VERY helpful indeed....!

If you're not meant to park there, put some lines on the road, or clearly mark that this street is for private residents only.

Yes from what i've seen, the general consensus is that they have to prove who the driver was. ok will draft them a letter today - thanks for the help

As I understand it, sending threats of legal action through the Royal Mail without any legal justification for doing so is a criminal offence. Companies sending out incomplete County Court papers should be firmly reminded of this, with a copy of your letter and the incomplete papers being sent to the presiding judge (ie. the senior judge) at the relevant court. It might also be worth copying the Director-General of the Office of Fair Trading, as I think it is the OFT that regulates these companies.

• 2 months later...

a parking person came around hayes grove today, to check cars and the such. I saw him give two tickets, he didn't look very official so I'm a bit dubious as to the validity of them. anyway he took the old ticker off the car, threw it on the floor and put a new one on the car. I piped up and asked him very nicely to pick up the litter he made, he ignored me at first but after a couple of excuse me's he looked up, gave me and evil, picked his litter up and gave me another evil to which i gave him a smile and the thumbs up. I know as a tenant that I don't know anything about this parking dude. i mean he was putting a ticket on a car in a resident parking space.

I do know that our flat's parking space is being occupied by someone else at the moment with no "please can we use your spot?" maybe the previous tenants let them, still we want it back...my question is why didn't he ticket them as they weren't in the correct spot.

it's all a bit confusing really.