Dulwich Hamlet reach Play-off Final

EDF readers may be interested to know about the remarkable climax to the season that the local non-league football team, Dulwich Hamlet are enjoying.

Hamlet play in Division 1 South of the Ryman League, and after another fairly indifferent season looked to have missed out on the chance of promotion to the Premier Division from which they were relegated 10 years ago. However an exceptional run of form at the end of the season culminated in them triumphing 2-0 in a ?winner takes all? match last Saturday away at Walton & Hersham and clinching fifth place in the league and a place in the promotion play-offs. The final table was:

1. Met. Police 96 points

2. Bognor Regis 96 points

3. Whitehawk 88 points

4. Leatherhead 88 points

5. Dulwich Hamlet 65 points

6. Walton & Hersham 62 points

Play-offs at this level are one-legged ties away at the higher placed team. This meant Hamlet travelled to Bognor Regis who had missed out on top place (and automatic promotion) on the final day of the season by a single goal and had finished 31 points ahead. A fine performance on Tuesday night saw Hamlet win 3-1 in front of large crowd of dis-believing home fans. Such are the vagaries of the play-offs.

So on Saturday, Dulwich Hamlet travel to Leatherhead who finished in fourth place (and a mere 23 points ahead) for the play-off final, knowing that one more good performance would see them assume at their rightful place on Jeff Stelling?s Saturday afternoon vide-printer.

Incidentally there are no updates on club website (www.dulwichhamletfc.co.uk), because the club?s webmaster booked a holiday thinking the season would have finished by now!

Laddy Muck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah we lost. But Dulwich played superbly. Even

> a longstanding Leatherhead supporter congratulated

> us for Dulwich being the better side today (and

> gave me his programme - bless him). Fantastic

> game.

I spent an awful, awful, awful night in Cardiff with scousers doing exactly the same thing in 2006. Getting medicated on drinks bought by scousers was terrible... I still hurt now, I'm not joking.

Im gutted Dulwich lost..but they have played so well this season.

I have been watching them for the past 3 seasons..and this is their best one by far!

Dont worry next season they will get promoted!!

gotta say that i have been impressed by the 3 times i've made it along to the club this season. went with my son (age 12) and total entry cost for both of us was ?8. even with bovril (it was very cold) still change from a tenner. football was fairly good and great to be so close to the teams so you could hear all that was going on on the pitch.

thoroughly recommend if you like a bit of football and you live round here