Looking to move to SE22...suitable for a shift worker?

Hi everyone,

I've spotted a flat I like in East Dulwich. It's on Lordship Lane, just across from Dulwich Park. I currently live in Hammersmith and love the close proximity to my work (near Westminster), however the price of renting here is far too overpriced and as I have only lived in London for a year I'd like to explore a bit more!

What I would like to ask is what the area is like generally. I work shifts so at times I would be heading for the train station at half past five in the morning, and sometimes I would be arriving home around half past six in the morning (though I'm not so worried about that). It is important to me that I feel 'safe' which I know is more of a subjective thing. Do any other young women feel relatively safe out and about at these times? Can I also ask what the buses are like early in the morning/late at night safety-wise? I have noticed the buses go through a couple of not-so-nice areas, however I would never be travelling there, just passing through to Charing Cross.

Sorry for the huge post, thank you if you have read through! My first impression of East Dulwich is that it is a lovely place, I noticed lots of eateries and a few pubs.

Thank you for your advice, it really is appreciated :)

The area is as safe as anywhere in London. i.e. safe-ish, but you need to be alert.

I would be heading for the train station at half past five in the morning

Note that the trains don't start until something like 6:15am.

I wouldn't say the buses aren't safe during the night. Although they can get crowded (travelling south), and you have to expect the occasional drunk lout, or antisocial kids. Just the usual stuff, really.

Charing Cross is about the easiest place to get to in central London from East Dulwich on public transport.

Take one of the very frequent trains from Peckham Rye to London Bridge (journey time 12 minutes) then change platforms (don't need to go through any ticket barriers) to Charing Cross (5 minutes).

Once your journey starts you can be in Charing Cross in 20 minutes, all being well.

Hackblade Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Charing Cross is about the easiest place to get to

> in central London from East Dulwich on public

> transport.

>

> Take one of the very frequent trains from Peckham

> Rye to London Bridge (journey time 12 minutes)

> then change platforms (don't need to go through

> any ticket barriers) to Charing Cross (5 minutes).

>

>

> Once your journey starts you can be in Charing

> Cross in 20 minutes, all being well.

xxxxxx

If she's on Lordship Lane, surely she'd be quicker taking the train to London Bridge from East Dulwich rather than Peckham Rye?

Charing Cross is ideal for me of course. Saying that I'm happy to get to London Bridge and either change to Charing Cross or jump on the Jubilee line. All in all I'm quite happy to sit for 20 - 25 minutes though I'll mostly be travelling off peak which should cut that down a little. Great, thanks :)

Get a scooter.

Herne Hill, Brixton, Clapham, Chelsea Bridge, cut left, bang - Hammersmith. 30 minutes? Less at 5:30am.

Or go Clapham, Wandsworth, Putney Bridge....

This is the nicest part of London I've lived in during my 17 years in the capital...

If you're catchin ga bus to ED station then worth staying on and travelling to Denmark Hill and taking train to Victoria which is as good as Charing Cross for Westminster.

Cycling would take 30 minutes and safe you buckets of money over the year and you'd get to know London better while getting fitter. Southwark Council will provide free cycle lessons and your trainer would be hapy to rehearse your cycle commute.

don't bother to change onto the jubilee line. The overground trains from london bridge to charing cross go every few minutes and it's much quicker to go up the stairs and get onto platform (5?) than to change onto the tube.

Thank you everyone for your invaluable advice. I am going to go for some CBT training and a scooter, I think it could become my best friend! And I'll definitely go from London Bridge - Charing Cross seeing as it does seem to be a little easier! Good to know I have options mind you. I've put my interest in for the flat, sadly there's a few others going for it too...got my fingers crossed now, I have my heart set on moving here! Still, if all falls through there's plenty more flats in the sea...

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don't bother to change onto the jubilee line. The

> overground trains from london bridge to charing

> cross go every few minutes and it's much quicker

> to go up the stairs and get onto platform (5?)

> than to change onto the tube.

xxxxxx

I think it's Platform 3

Its fab here...you can get everything you need without leaving East Dulwich if you so desire...

If you are going to live near dulwich park on lordship lane then the bus 12 is perfect for you (as mentioned previously). It is a very frequent bus service, for outbound journey you need to walk to Barry road but inbound the bus will literally drop you outside your flat. The journey is not particulaly scenic and I often get frustrated at the lack of speed during Walworth road section. There are a number of buses which take you to Denmark hill or East dulwich station and onwards into central London. Furthermore you can also get the excellent East London Line/overground from forest hill (zone 3)for weekend spitalfields/islington etc visits- loads of great markets, shops, restaurants in those areas

The only downside is that the station is not within walking distance and getting to places like Herne hill (gorgeus brockwell park) and Brixton (nearest M&S) is a bit of a mission unless you drive or have a bike/scooter..

If you are single and prefer the social scene you may want to consider living closer to the shops etc i.e. nearer to goose green/the lower end of lorship lane.

Good luck