Car Horns on Lordship Lane Junction with Court Lane

Is anyone else being driven slowly insane by the incessant beeping of horns by vehicles waiting at the the temporary lights at the roadworks on Lordship Lane? Why are they hammering the horns? Do they think it will have some effect on the lights? The lights are very frustrating I know, try turning out of one of the side roads (I live on Mount Adon Park), but this is a residential area, not blooming Brands Hatch

Short of standing on the corner and screaming like a fishwife, what can I do?

I was stuck in this yesterday - complete chaos. The lights were stuck on red in both directions, buses were jumping the long queues of traffic to get through the lights with the farcical result that they were meeting each other in the single lane bit of the works and then it just developed into a free for all.

And the gas men? They just stood and watched.

There have, I think, been at least five sets of roadworks on this stretch in 12 months or so, 3 gas and 2 water. Most of them have gone on for several weeks, most have involved temporary lights, closure of one or t'other bus stop... The bus stops end up closed for longer than the works run, as they always seem to forget to take away the 'bus stop closed' signs once works have 'finished'.

This is in addition to all the roadworks generated by the water leaks on the eastern side of the Lane, from Val's southwards, which also returned time and again as water spewed out of the original source, or a new one.

The worst has been when on occasion we've had jackhammers starting at 10.30pm. No joke.

I seem to recall the entire road was resurfaced just before all this happened.

I'm thinking of moving to a building site: it may work out quieter.

aspidistra - 10pm jackhammers might become more common. There was an article tonight about the Mayor's new powers (in effect next year) to charge companies for digging up TFL roads. Regular maintenance would be ?1K a day, emergency ?1.5K a day - to encourage maintenance over fixing. But it would be cheaper to do things overnight or during holidays since the priority is keeping traffic flowing over residents' sleep.

The roadworks here and around Denmark Hill both seem to be never-ending.

Toys, pram, thrown.

Word is, Southern Gas fell out with the council and were sent off, or flounced off, the site for six months. They filled in the hole then popped back six months later to dig it all out again.

I do hope we're not paying for all that bickering...

Oh...