Violent mugging ( close by in Peckham) on 9th May

Just found out that a friend's colleague was badly mugged last night in central East Dulwich by a guy in a hoody - he only took the ?20 she had on her, but punched her in the face. She has a black eye, severely swollen face and has lost a tooth. Absolutely horrific. Waiting on confirmation of the time and exact location - shes a bit too shaken up still so don't want to probe further.

I know we all say it, but day or night, you just need to be so aware when walking around alone.

Just spoken to my friend and apparently, although it does not make it any better for the poor lady, the attack was actually more Peckham than East Dulwich - on Nigel Road. Basically not too far from the Victoria Inn & the Rye pub .... she was buying a pizza from the shop at 10:30pm and it happened just outside the shop. By the sounds of it, it could have turned out far worse - he was punching her in the face while she was on lying the ground and luckily gave up when someone approached.

Sorry for the spook and lets hope the police get him...

I know Nigel Rd, it's all pretty much residential and so pretty quiet at night. Thank god someone came by. So sorry to hear about this.

Have you told The Lane Safer Neighbourhood Team? There might be a pattern. You can email them on [email protected]

They'll bring it up at neighbourhood meetings etc

There are no shops on Nigel road, only God Bless Hair salon! The shop I think you are talking about is next to the bus stop on rye lane (nigel road is more around the corner). Anyway, not to argue about location, but to say it sounds very violent, sorry to hear about it, hope the lady gets better soon.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> oooh err- nom de plume-aren't you posting under

> the wrong thread- something like faux pas...

Nope - someone said (and I quote) "the attack was actually more Peckham than East Dulwich - on Nigel Road." which I thought, in context, was pretty self absorbed and showed an inappropriate sense of relief about it being over there in SE15, not over here in SE22.

Horsebox, Manda et al - thank you all very much for your posts and PMS. We will certainly be trying to support her as much as we possibly can.

Nom de plume - I am frankly surprised you don't have better things to do with your time than pick apart posts trying to help ensure safety of our local community - be they in Dulwich or Peckham.

Ok just to be clear - a mugging is a horrible thing to happen to someone and I hope your colleague is not badly hurt, has a swift and complete recovery, and is able to put it behind them.

That said, your apology to the EDF for spooking them by saying it was in Central East Dulwich when it really was in Peckham annoyed me for precisely the reason that it is a nasty event wherever it takes place, whereas you suggested it was somehow less bad if it wasn't "Central East Dulwich". To poke at that is fair comment.

cdaywilson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> posts trying to help ensure safety of our

> local community - be they in Dulwich or Peckham.

how does posting vague/inaccurate third hand details on here help ensure the safety of the local community?

I merely posted (and then corrected) to make local people aware that there was a very unpleasant event which might have taken place near where they, and likely their families and friends live, so to be vigilant. No underlying tone, no intended inaccuracies, no postcode-snobbery, just purely in line with how other East Dulwich residents post such things in the "General Issues" section of this site. Everyone is clearly entitled to their own opinion however I am now signing out of this dialogue.

cdaywilson I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, I hope they recover & that the culprit is caught.

I have to say that I assumed that you had amended your post as this is the East Dulwich forum & not the Peckham forum, so were merely wishing to get the facts right.

Horrible things happen everywhere in London, regardless of postcodes & thank you for making us all aware of this incident.