Advice on gyms in the area

Dulwich college gym is cheap. Equipment is not that great but ok, and has plenty of free weights. There is a pay as you gym company (google it) which covers off other gyms in ED, which could make sense if you just want to go x 1 or 2 times a week

It really depends what you are after. ESPH in LL is probably the coolest in terms os set-up and class offerings. This is reflected in the price as it is also the most expensive.

Fusion gym in East Dulwich rd is a good all-rounder. When the gym part finally opens up in a few weeks it looks like it will be very good. You can get a membership that covers all Fusion gyms in the borough (including Brockwell) which is worth it if yoy think you will use the others. In order to use them all you have to join at Brockwell which is slightly more expensive, but still under ?50 pcm which isn't too bad.

There is a smaller gym at Dulwich Hamlets football club next to Sainsbury's which is ok, a bit cheaper but not as big.

Suffice to say that there is enough to choose from in ED, you just need to decide what you are after and how much you want to pay. My preference has always been Fusion ED as they open until ten week days and 8-5/6 weekends.

I've been a member of both ESPH and JAGs ? have to say ESPH is really nice and worth the extra cost in my opinion. It's always pretty quiet so it feels like your own private gym.

Thanks Underhill_rick for this post i have been thinking the same. I recently moved to ED. I have always used Fitness First and am still a member. I work in central London and use the Kingley st one after work. I do want a local gym but need one that opens late in the evening preferably with parking. The one in Forest Hill next to sainsbury looks ok but only opens till 2100hrs. I will take a look at the Fusion gym when it opens next week.

There's an LA fitness in Syndenham only 5-10 mins by bus. I used to live on Underhill Road and just got on the 176. Bus stop is right outside the gym. Its a nice gym got the normal equipment oyu need and free weights area for the men! I think it has a pool - I can't remember.

Just looked up all of the above gyms on the net, new fusion doesnt have parking which will be a must for me(knee reconstruction so wont be able to walk far)I was also on the phone for 20 minutes being transfered to lots of automated systems which pissed me off a bit. It looks like Hamlets for me, im not looking for trendy(do people use that word anymore?) or to pay extra for complementary shower gell. What i dont want is to be hanging round while a couple of queens & rent boys arrange a date, whilst lounging on the equipment i want to use, which is what i have at the gym i currently go to. Is anyone a member of Hamlets? Is it good, fair to crap, what do you think?

Dee - I have looked at most gyms around the area and now go to Hamlets. It's a bit shabby around the edges but it's cheap and it's probably the best of a bad bunch for free weights.

I would be interested to know how heavy the free weights in the new Fusion gym go up to or whether they have made the classic mistake of spending huge sums on a new gym only to ruin it by not having any dumbbells beyond 20kg or 30kg. You really don't need lots of fancy equipment for a gym but you do need some decent weights.

I used to be a member of Dulwich Hamlets. I thoroughly recommend it - not expensive, often deals are available if you ask. Friendly atmosphere, good music, and the bar downstairs...

Used to belong to the council gym on Goose Green. It was OK, although swimming pool pretty minging. I'd be interested to see what happens when the refurb is finished.

The LAFitness at Sydenham does have a pool and was refurbed last year so is a lot nicer than it used to be.

LA Fitness also have a membership that lets you use the majority of their other clubs (except South Kensington) which can be useful if you work in Central London since you can go there too.

Many thanks for the postings, keep them coming please. I sure have my research to do and check them out.

I will pay close attention to the gyms that have a good selection of free weights.

Re dogfenneldill comment

I cycle to and from work. In both directions it takes 1hr 20mins so I think that counts towards a fair trip to the gym. But need some help by the gym with free weights. :)

Underhill_rick- happy with the comments, keep them coming.

Hmmm, if it's primarily free weights that you want, there is another one in Forest Hill on David's Road. There's a sign for it if you're wandering down that way. I think it's primarily boxing and weights where you can join monthly or just pay per session.

Both - fair enough! Hope knee surgery goes well. And I have slightly shorter cycle than you, so I'll keep quiet.

I only hear bad things about Fusion and the one time I wandered into Hamlets they had loads of free weights. Worth a look and assume you'd be fine to be park in Sainsbury's?

• 2 weeks later...

i went to new fusion today and really lost all my hope to find decent gym locally.So,does anyone know any GOOD gym some where in london? What i need is:

- Olympic bench for bench press

- A power cage for squat

- deadlift area

- enought weights (dumbbells +50kg)

- basically gym for bodybuilding/powerlifting

Was having the same despair supe a few months ago! Have a look at Dulwch College. It's got everything you want and is cheap. Downside is that it's only open in the evening and weekends as the school uses it in the day. Not really a prob for me as it's 7 at earliest before I'm back from work. I could do with a training partner if you like it!

It's quite small, but tends to be quiet enough when I go. Think heaviest dumbbell is 40, might be 50, but plenty of (admittedly random) plates and about 5 olympic bars. Bench, squat rack, powercage and smith (though you sound like the kind of chap who would know not to use a smith machine) It's certainly not posh, and there's mats down if you need to drop the weights. Or, as seems to be the way with quite a few, you think dropping at the end of every set is somehow a sign of strength?!! You also get to use to pool, tennis, football pitches etc and there's a proper running track (google map it)

Hi guys,

If you're new to the area (or been here a while) you might want to check out Community Circuits fitness studio in Herne Hill. They offer all sorts of classes and personal training at reasonable prices- you can even buy a 'ten session card' which gives you 10 classes at a reduced rate. The great thing is there's no joining fee like most gyms and you can just turn up to classes as and when it suits you. Their website is Community Circuits. I'm actually one of the instructors there- I teach Cardio Kick and Aerobatone on Sunday mornings :) Hopefully I'll see some of you in my classes at some point!

Have a good weekend all :)

Hi, I moved to the area and used Dulwich gym for a while, but timing is not great for City workers, so I was advised many in East Dulwich and on viewing, decided I needed more of a 'virgin/fitness first' style gym and purely by accident fell across Beckenham Spa. I do drive, so it only takes 10 min and there are four others in the chain, but I have to say, for the price, the pool, the weights, the classes etc.. its perfect. Do have to pay for parking which is a pain, but no complaints on the gym front. For those who need motivation with classes (like me) there are so many to choose from, I find myself going morning and night to do a combination. Happy gym seeking..