Who cycles to work from East Dulwich?

willma

I thought it would be interesting to hear from people who cycle to work every day from the East Dulwich area. Where in London do you cycle to? How many miles do you cycle? How long does it take? What do you think of the cycle paths, roads, cycle signs etc. provided for cyclists? Have you had any bad experiences of cycling on your way in to work? What clothing do you wear on your way to the office?

I'll start us off....My journey takes 25 minutes from door to door and I usually get to my office in Westminster in approximately 25 minutes. The route isn't too bad, taking me along Rye Lane, the Surrey Canal, Burgess Park, and then on through West Walworth, Kennington and through to the Albert Embankment before crossing the river at Lambeth Bridge. The only section which I don't particularly like is the nasty roundabout on the southern side of Lambeth Bridge with that tight corner around to the left where if you're not careful and the driver of the vehicle is unaware of your presence, you can get squeezed into the curb. Cycling back through Burgess Park in the dark isn't very pleasant either as there are no lights along the path which runs within the park. If Southwark Council installed some lighting along there it would be much more pleasant I think (not to mention much safer), like they have done with the old canal path towards Peckham library. Some of the roads could be better, especially the minor roads which can have some nasty pot holes and subsidence towards the edge where bikes travel along. Drains which aren't level can be quite a hazard too.

My journey is just over 5 miles each way which isn't bad, so that's about 50 miles a week (now that does sound alot!). No bad experiences yet, although I've only been cycling to work for 5 months so time will tell. In the summer I wear a cycling top and shorts and now it's got colder I use my cycling top as a base layer with a thin jacket on top of that and a thin reflective waterproof jacket on top of that. Layering is the key I think to staying warm but not becoming too hot! I also wear cycling trousers as I find wearing shorts far too cold for this time of year. Is there anyone who cycles to work in a suit??

Will

Hi Will,

I cycle from East Dulwich to Shortlands, in Bromley, three days out of five. Used to do it every day but now I run my little one to the childminder's twice a week. Journey (just over 5 miles) takes me abot 30 mins. I have been doing this for seven years in pretty much all weather - no wonder I feel so knackered!

Thinking about it, had no serious incidents to report. Obviously had the odd jerk toot me for being "in the way". But largely it's been fine. Actually drivers often get a poor report from cyclists but I tend to think most road users are considerate and courteous - letting you pull out and not cutting you up. But of course it only takes one piece of b-a-d driving and I'd be bacon.

citizen

I'm just in the process of buying my house in East Dulwich. I currently ride most days from Battersea to Camden Town which takes just over half an hour (and is a lovely route over Chelsea bridge and through Hyde and Regent's parks). I've yet to work out a good ED to Camden route. I'll probably go through Bellenden, Walworth Road, Blackriars and Farringdon which will be mostly urban hell. I anticipate it taking forty odd minutes. I'd avoid Burgess Park like the plague(especially if you are on your own).. I've read some horrible stories of people being attacked as they ride through there.

Great thread! I cycle (though not at the moment as am recovering from back surgery) to Sutton. Was thrilled to clock it on my computer at 10 miles each way ?? felt truly righteous doing 100 miles a week. Takes about 35 minutes on a good day.

I have to say I love it ?? really gets the endorphins going ?? but the driving on my route (through streatham/lonesome/mitcham) is shocking. Lost count of the number of aggressive white van drivers etc. Cycle lanes lamentable too. But it's immensely preferable to getting the train. I was pretty depressed before I started biking and I really found it lifted my spirits.

Oddly enough, I particularly enjoyed winter commuting ?? biked in all last winter and only got really soaked 6 or 7 times. And you don't get cold with the right kit ?? I favoured leggings, bikeshorts, thermal vest and my flourescent jacket...much to the amusement of my colleagues. That said, there's nothing like a summer's day when you can do it in shorts and a t shirt.

What does everyone ride? I switch between road and mountain bike. Do you wear a helmet?

I agree with you there mattham, cycling really does give you more energy and lift the spirits. I tend to feel quite sluggish throughout the day if I don't cycle in.

I have a road bike - a tourer, which is great as it's got the thinner wheels/tyres for cycling quickly along the roads, but also has a tread for taking off road, although there's only so much mud it can take without it slipping all over the place! I do wear a helmet. I wouldn't want to chance it by not having one. You never know with some London drivers what they might do!

I cycle to work in Westminster every day on my lovely shiny single speed road bike. I go over Denmark Hill, which is a bit of a killer without gears! Through Camberwell, along Camberwell New Road, round the back of Oval and over Lambeth Bridge. It takes me about 25 mins.

I love it. And I don't bother with the gym anymore, 50 mins quick cycling every day is more than enough exercise for me.

My partner cycles to work in Bromley from Peckham Rye. 8 miles each way, and takes him about 50 minutes door to door because, he says, he refuses to rush. He has been cycling since he was a little boy though we are both motorcyclists primarily. He has thighs like rock. It is so cool.... ;) I work from home mostly so try and cycle round the park a bit (and to EDF meetings....) and now shall cycle all the way to the cafe when I have time. Then eat some cake there.

willma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought it would be interesting to hear from

> people who cycle to work every day from the East

> Dulwich area.

Good thread idea, well done!!

Well, as I work from home I don;t actually need to cycle to work, but will often join my wife on her cycle to work, from Goose Green to the Kings Road. It's cycle routes most of the way, and we cross the river at Albert bridge. Often I'll come back via longer route, to make it more of a training ride out for me. http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=4004

I ride a Genesis Day01 which is a sort of racing bike with flat bars. Skinny tyres and light frame and nice to ride. I want to do du/triathlons in 2008, so need to get out and do more miles...

Oh, and oif anyone reading this has not got clip pedals and shoes then you;re missing out on cyclings greatest seacret weapon.

E

I go to Kensington High St - yes, same sort of distance as Baker St. Takes me about 35 minutes each way.

I ride a ?200 hybrid (currently a Ridgeback Cyclone). They last about two years' worth of commuting, then they're no longer worth repairing what with knackered chains, sprockets, gears etc.

As I ranted previously, I've had two collisions, both with pedestrians stepping out in front of me.

I took the bus for the first time in ages one time this week, and though I feel that cycling is very dangerous and likely to get me killed, it is still much preferable to being stuck on a Number 12 bus for hours.

I very occasionally take the number 12 bus to work but because of the frustration of not being able to get a seat, getting stuck in the Walworth rd. roadworks etc etc. I find it so frustrating and wish I'd cycled in on each occasion. You save money and get fit at the same time by cycling to work.

I do ED to the Temple - between 25 and 30 minutes. LL, Dog Kennel Hill (fun!), Denmark Hill, Camberwell, Walworth Road, E&C, Blackfriars Bridge. The worst bit is the Walworth Road. Never ending roadworks! Agree with someone up-thread about terrible pot-holes. Really some massive holes in the road on this route. Combine them with oblivious pedestrians, crazy drivers and mad children cycling the wrong way round the E&C roundabout at night without any lights on, and you have the recipe for an interesting journey.

I've had one pedestrian collision - Walworth Road. She hit the ground, got up, carried on running for her bus...

My most challenging recent commute was when I was working in a house at the top of Highgate Hill from Sept to Feb last winter. 10 miles door to door and Highgate Hill never got any easier. (Dog Kennel-Camberwell-Wally Rd-Elephant-Blackfriars-Angel-LiverpoolRd-Holloway Rd)

At this time I was wearing a thin long-sleeved artificial base layer, a long-sleeved merino Icebreaker (warm but doesn't dry quickly) and a Freestyle XCR jacket (excellent - lightweight and no frills). Down below was Endura 3/4 or full-length bib longs (excellent) and Seal Skinz waterproof socks (definitely a secret weapon as long as the water doesn't get in over the top), with Specialized Carbon MTB shoes. I was very comfortable on my Kona Explosif, but have now learned the lesson of mudguards. After that winter my drivetrain (and even my glasses!) were worn out from the crud. Had to replace the lot and a new rear wheel from Condor, Gray's Inn Rd.

Then I sold my Explosif frame (people are mad for old steel MTBs on eBay these days) and got a Kona Hei Hei (ti from back in the day), which I am too freaked to leave anywhere, so now I mostly ride my '77 Claude Butler Majestic which I had resprayed and 'adjusted' at Mario Vaz' place in Brockley. Very good value BTW.

I commute most places and mainly stick to big roads to get there quick. I always tut at the red light runners, and am always amazed there aren't more accidents.

God that all sounds really neeky. Hmm....

I freelance so go to a variety of places in town - most often Covent Garden, which takes me about 30mins. I love it and hate those times when I have to take the bus. Definitely agree with the comment about feeling sluggish when I don't cycle. Always hated the gym too so it's the perfect exercise!

What I really get fed up with though is punctures (another one this morning and I've only ridden the biek twice after getting the puncture repaired!).

I ride a hybrid and had tuffa tape to protect my inner tubes. Still get a huge amount of punctures. Was thinking of looking into puncture-proof tyres. I know these are good for racing/road bikes. Any thoughts/experience of them for other styles?

I've been cycling to work for 15 years and haven't had any accidents yet but know quite a few people who've broken wrists and ankles after falling off and one friend who cracked his helmet in half. It gets safer as you get more used to it and also as you get older and less inclined to take risks or cycle home after the pub.

I got from Nunhead to the Strand, which takes 30 mins, via Old Kent Road. OKR is much faster than Camberwell Road & Walworth road as there are almost no pedestrians. Am planning on moving to East Dulwich and will need to revise my route - will definitely try to avoid Walworth road if possible and probably go along Rye Lane, Surrey canal & burgess park to OKR. Would like to know if there is a good, relatively traffic free route all the way up through peckham and walworth.

There are no decent bike lanes but you can use bus lanes everywhere, which often means you can go down roads barred to most drivers, e.g. north from elephant & castle along London Rd is a great shortcut towards Waterloo Bridge.

Sadly it's an ugly ride however you do it. Best bike ride in London is from Notting Hill to Trafalgar Square via the parks & the Mall, which is off road all the way.

I started cycling last March and haven?t looked back.

I used to work by London Bridge, but now work by Liverpool Street. I cross via Tower Bridge (via Surrey Canal). Although it is closer to cross via London Bridge, there are so many pedestrians (that I think we can agree all cyclist dread), that I find that rout safer.

A great Website to check out is http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ . You can calculate the lenght of your route

I cycle from The Castle PH to Earls Court/West Brompton station. It's about 9 miles each way (based on the AA route planner) and takes anything between 40 and 50 mins depending on traffic and my level of energy. I ride a Specialized Hardrock 2007 and am currently using very thick mountain bike tyres, which slow me down a little.

Route: CPR to Townley Road, footpath along the back of JAGS school, down Denmark Hill past Kings College Hospital, Camberwell New Road, Oval, Vauxhall Bridge, Grosvenor Road, Chelsea Embankment, Cheyne Walk, Cremorne Road, Gunter Grove and then cut through West Brompton Cemetary to arrive at my office.

I wear a helmet and HI-viz vest plus excellent lights on the bike and swap my clothes between shorts/t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms/ waterproof jacket depending on conditions.

Have had many run ins with other road users, usually wankers who overtake at junctions and then turn left, but the worst has been with Bendy Buses near the Oval - was forced out of the bus lane and onto the pavement by one, and another clipped me as he overtook on a corner. They really don't care and when challenged usually just kiss their teeth and make hand gestures as if I shouldn;t have been there in the first place.

Complaints to the operating company just end up with an email which says "we have dealt with this matter which we take very seriously but cannot tell you the outcome as it would breach the confidentiality agreement we have with our staff".

Now accept it as part of cycling to work - The police don't get involved unless somebody is seriously hurt or killed which is a little on the frustrating side but if my very heavy lock just happens to clip the drivers window/wing mirror or dent their bodywork, well that's just a terrible shame and maybe they'll drive a bit more responsibly in future.

I cycle to work - Holborn Circus.

About 5 miles I think and takes me 35 mins (I am unfit!).

I go Rye Lane, Canal, Burgess Park, Portland St to Elephant then up Southwark Bridge Rd, and up New Change to Holborn Circus.

I love it, although the buses on Rye Lane are horrid if you get a loads of bendy ones together.

I take same route but veer off to Waterloo bridge - which is my most hated part of the journey (busy, trafficky, tiring!) - and straight up into Covent graden. The amount of pedestrians that cross that cycle path on the pavement without looking or with their headphones on/phones clamped to their ear is quite scary. They should make it more obvious that it's also a cycleway I reckon. I can't blame people for not knowing.

I also cycle from ED to Liverpool street - down crystal palace road, bellenden road, surrey canal, and cycle route 22 through the back streets of bermondsey, london bridge, bank, old broad street. Takes 25-30 mins, but coming home in the summer was a dream, especially after a quick beer just to miss the traffic :-) My GPS thingy measures the route at roughly 9.13km. Quite a nice route, especially the canal (even dodging the pit bulls in the summer) - wouldn't mind if they extended it a couple of miles in both directions!

I ride a single speed (gave up fixed wheel for the winter) Surly with really skinny GatorSkin tyres. Got my first puncture of the year yesterday, probably due to the heavy rain which washes all the nasty sh*t to the side of road just where cyclists cycle. Have ridden mountain bikes with road tyres over the years, but the road bike with skinny tyres make it a whole lot easier & quicker for me :-)

I wear 'proper' cycling gear and I'm still in shorts, but it got a little cool last week! Soon I'll look like I'm cycling to the ski slopes.

My route is usually quite uneventful until I get to London Bridge, and then it gets a little fraught, mainly with kamikaze pedestrians and converging traffic. So, I take it fairly easy from the south side of the bridge. I commuted from Surrey on a motorbike for years, which hammered home a self-preservation mentality and an acute red-mist awareness.

Bendy buses - why?!?! Totally inappropriate for London's thin roads, and an absolute minefield for cyclists. That's why some genius thought of double deckers. Boris gets my vote on that one.

Beats public transport by a non-country mile, and keeps you fit :-)