zzz

Years ago I had this but with builders who were working for my landlady. She went off abroad on business, I was left alone in the flat, came home late on my own and the place had been carefully done over. Key items were missing, but there was no mess (other than my underwear drawer and the 'kitchen drawer' - the one that had all the junk had both been totally outturned).

I would say if you have ANY doubt, make a kind and genuine sounding excuse to your cleaning lady as to why the job is finishing (change in personal circumstances, or finances etc) and get someone new, with references. My landlady didn't do this and I never felt safe until the builders had finished and handed back the keys - even so, I still worried that they might have had some cut and could return at any point. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

A friend of mine (not in ED) had her house broken into. There is a 50 second delay before their burgaler alarm goes off. In those 50 seconds the robbers managed to go from the backdoor to her bedroom and steal gold jewellery that is kept in a drawer. Nothing else (plasma tv, camera, camcorder, Xbox, car keys) was touched.

It had to be an 'inside job' - a divorce would be too expensive, it would be a bit harsh to blame her 2 year old, so that just left the cleaner, whom she sacked.

Well bedroom drawers are where most people's jewellery is kept so a 50 second burglary, although obviously suspicious, could still be a "lucky" shot. Change your locks (nobody who takes advantage of keys in that way is NOT going to also cut a copy) and put up a cam or two...

Yes the professional burglars can be in and out in within 2 minutes as they know where to look. If they can't get a result quickly, they will quit.

Having been burglared some years ago, I decided to invest in a couple of small safes. One for passports/jewelry and bigger one for documents ( banking etc etc) They are simple to bolt to a brick wall using Thunder Bolts.

For under ?50 you can have piece of mind. I have one spare which I bought for my son at Uni but he will be staying in halls again next year so it's surplus to requirements. I am asking ?39 for it. It is new, unused and still in its original box.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9380972&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C%7B9372015%7D/categories%3C%7B9372044%7D/categories%3C%7B9382012%7D/specificationsProductType=safes/specificationsSpecificProductType=electronic_safes

Here's a pic of the Thunder Bolts.

That is awful, your cleaner wasn't polish by any chance? BEFORE YOU CALL ME A RACIST, IM NOT!, I once tried to board the number 176 bus and the driver only spoke POLISH. I wrote a complaint to TFL but received no response, presumably because they could only speak polish as well!