The best Sunday lunch in Dulwich?

QZ

Where's the best Sunday Lunch served in Dulwich? Is there a good pub/restuarant that serves a decent roast? Someone mentioned Page 2 towards Nunhead but I've never been there.

Having moved here over 5 years ago I would argue that we are spoilt for choice.

Roast wise: I can vouch for The Rye on the ED/Peckham border, Inside 72 when they do it, The Bishop, and for posh Sunday, Franklins

Other places that just do great food are Liqourish, Magdala, and soon EDT

For a change some of the Curry buffets - I'm thinking Surma - are fantastic on a Sunday too

Four of us had Sunday Lunch in the Green yesterday. http://www.greenbar.co.uk/index2.htm

I really liked the food, it's not a huge amount but it was well cooked and satisfying. I had a smoked fish starter followed by the Lamb with seasonal vegetables (2 courses ?12.95). Sorry I'm not the sort of person who can go on about the fine aromas of the slowly cooked meat whose flavours trickled through the roasted honey coated roast parsnips, but I can say it was good food and good ambience. If my folks came up to visit I would probably take them to The Green for Sunday Lunch, it has a more panach? than a pub.

Sunday Lunch essential check: They do have a selection of newspapers on the bar and a comfy sofa.

I would say the staff need a bit of people interaction training but don't let that put you off.

Bridget re. you question about a quiet place, I would say that inside at the front of the Green, where we sat, was nice and quiet although slightly chilly with the doors open. Out the back was extremely popular with families (i.e. busy) so avoid that if you want peace.

• 2 weeks later...
I think carnivores are extremely well catered for in east Dulwich with places like the Palmerston and Franklin's. Was just wondering if anyone could recommend something for the veggies among us? I often struggle on Lordship Lane - for a place with so many restaurants it seems bizarre that not one is vegetarian. I'm getting fed up with curry all the time!

• 2 weeks later...

The Palmerston is by far and away the BEST Sunday roast I've ever had, bar none.

The Rye in Peckham Rye is also a great place to go, with nice big roasts, a beer garden and it's also a great place for families. Very trendy place but not too exe.

I went for Sunday Roast last week Upstairs at the Edt and I was pleasantly suprised. I had never been there before and was suprised it was such a lovely space, the service was good and the roast was fantastic. They use William Rose's organic meat which I love anyway...

[Moderator's note] - this post is by a fake person, the same person who posted this http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,27,231#msg-231 where they say "I'm a regular at the edt" which contradicts the statement above "I had never been there before", therefore methinks they're lying. They have posted five times about the EDT using fake email addresses. Please can businesses get real recommendations and not resort to posting phoney ones about themselves.

This message will be removed in a week?s time

LOL, well spotted Mark! I didn't know EDT would stoop to that level. Personally I always found EDT had a great location, not bad food and RUBIISH service. I've been there time and time again and the consistantly bad (slow) service never ceases to let me down. Sufficed to say I've stopped going there now. Why bother when we have so many other great places to eat in ED.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Don't know about the best, but I had an absolutely rubbish Sunday roast at the EDT (stone cold and crap service) - but by far the worst I've EVER had, in fact possibly the worst MEAL I've ever had in my life, was at that pub in Dulwich Village - The Greyhound ??

On Sunday, I had a great Sunday roast at the Uplands on the corner of North Cross Road and Crystal Palace Road. It is a light airy place, not particularly crowded and not noisy

I agree Tim, it's usually a very good, hearty platter and a decent veggie option too. Loads of space and fairly non-smoker friendly although sitting upstairs is like sitting at tressle tables in a village hall

I went to the Black Cherry for Sunday lunch last week, they didn't do roast that day but I went for the steak and chips which was damn good and I would recommend it.

I've been told that the Bishop do a mighty fine roast, anyone tried it?

Bish generally does pretty decent food but they need to maybe not be so complacent....last few meals in there have been v average. EDT Upstairs has possibly some of the worst service (and most uninspiring menu) in ED!

IMO ;-)

The Crown & Greyhound (or The Dog) is a victim of it's own success, churning out that many roasts seems to have led to a drop in quality, particularly of the gravy which is watery and flavourless. I used to go 5 years ago but won't touch it unless I hear of some serious improvements.

The EDT seems to have a perfect sinewave of quality over time. It has variously been bad and excellent and indifferent over the years as chef's change, waiting staff change and the place changes hads.

It was excellent last time I went but that was 6 months ago, so gawd only knows what it's like now.

Black Cherry is generally good, but I know the owners so perhaps I'm biased. I've found the Bishop to serve really bland food (the humous had literally no flavour, not even chickpea), though the staff are pretty good (well, during the day when they can actually move about the pub).

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to recommend other than my home cooking, with a nice cut of meat from the organic butchers. A nice curry I guess.

The Herne (Tavern) is excellent (owned by the Palmerston).

The obnoxious scottish bar manager from the Palmerston occasionaly pops in, but don't let that put you off.

The only issue is that the kitchen cannot cope with demand - leading to lack of food, long waiting times - and, I hear, pre booking for Sunday lunch.

If you are organised and patient (not me) then go for it!

I had a lovely Sunday lunch in Inside 72 the other week. Roast beef and yorkshire - all cooked to perfection and only ?7.....was top quality. the music is pretty loud though and it's small and smokey so great if that's what you want but it doesn't have as good an atomostphere as some of the other pubs on a Sunday. The other great place (although not strictly East D) is The Rye Hotel - superb food, superb atmosphere and child friendly. But get there before 1pm as it gets busy!

Yes, Palmerston does have an obnoxious bar manager - the scottish man! Food is great though. Once the service was so appalling I think I asked them to remove service charge and he asked why I thought the service was bad so I told him (waitress was rude, no one came to get our dessert order and was so busy we ended up getting up and going to the till to get our own bill). Anyway, when I told him what had been wrong, he launched into having a complete go at me. So much for service charges being discretionary and the customer always being right.

The food is great though although I don't go there as often due to the above - it spolit a nice night out and was completely uncalled for. When some places get really successful they get just a bit too full of themselves. Find a couple of the staff at the Bishop can be a bit stroppy too, although most of the staff are fine.

Service (and food) is always excellent at Black Cherry.

It may be as hectic as a really busy place and thin on the ground as far as vegie options go, but you will do well to go for a stroll over the common to the Crown & Greyhound in The Village.

You can then stroll back to ED via said park, and on return you are in the perfect mood to slip on the smoking jacket and slippers, turn on the DAB, have a snooze and wake up in time for Midsummer Murders... perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know its not in Dulwich per sae, but Dulwich Wood toward Crystal Palace did the BEST sunday roast I've had in a long time.... its still maintains the original pub style and hasn't gastroed yet like most pubs in ED. Whilst I dot mind the gastro, an original english old mans pub is so refreshing these days.

The Crown and Greyhound in the Village also rocks. But it does sometimes depend on the time of day as to the quality of food you receive - and the mood of the chef too!