Million pound properties

Alan Dale

There are ten property sales on the land registry for SE22 which were for over ?1million pounds.

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=se22&f=pd&n=10

Camberwell has recently closed the gap. We have 9 such properties.

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?f=pd&q=se5&n=10

Peckham is a little behind with just 1

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?f=pd&q=se15&n=10

but look at Dulwich proper 110!

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=se21&s=101&f=pd&n=10

So SE5 or SE22 - who will be first to twenty?

Think about all those houses that have been advertised for ?600-?700k in SE22 since the summer. Now look at prices of houses sold between September and October on the houseprices website. Not many are ?500k+, and I only see one that sold in the 600-700 range (159 Friern for 607k in early September). Evidence surely that the high prices that we see in estate agents' windows are largely wishful thinking. Anyone who uses those figures to estimate their property wealth should probably knock 10% off the figure they have in mind.

I've noticed that too but I wondered if that was a deliberate ploy by the property developers who've bought them. They don't really want the punters to know they are being charged a premium of ?200k for the "designer" kitchen, bathroom and magnolia paint job do they....

Curious. There are at least two properties in my very short road that have changed hands in the last 12-18 months that are not listed there. Given that virtually nobody in this road moves, ever (so each sale is, well, the talk of the road), that's a fairly major omission.

I moved out of ED 18 months ago and have only returned once since, having lived there since 1996. I couldn't believe how busy it was, traffic jams down LL and Foxton's cars everywhere, it seemed to have turned into Northcote (nappy valley) Road. On the subject of house prices, it's interesting how many properties have been on the market for quite some time and haven't shifted, it's probably due to them using Foxtons and having their property over valued by vast amounts. Still like ED but it's changed for the worse....

Robb71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I moved out of ED 18 months ago and have only

> returned once since, having lived there since

> 1996. I couldn't believe how busy it was, traffic

> jams down LL and Foxton's cars everywhere, it

> seemed to have turned into Northcote (nappy

> valley) Road. On the subject of house prices, it's

> interesting how many properties have been on the

> market for quite some time and haven't shifted,

> it's probably due to them using Foxtons and having

> their property over valued by vast amounts. Still

> like ED but it's changed for the worse....

I can think of one obvious improvement

Robb71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I moved out of ED 18 months ago

People who leave and go back to disparage are better left as left.

• 3 weeks later...

I think some people see the Tube as a negative.... it may have the opposite affect you are hoping for.

I believe there was quite a lot of resistance to a suggested route through ED when planning was done many moons ago.

I'd be interested to hear of an example of a tube opening causing a drop in house prices.

Whilst I agree that the London Bridge train is more useful I believe it is ones inclusion on the globlly recognised tube map that brings the hordes and ensuing house price inflation.

Also being a single stop from Clapham will make DH an obvious overflow - Balham and Tooting have done well for no other reason than proximity to Clapham.

"Whilst I agree that the London Bridge train is more useful I believe it is ones inclusion on the globlly recognised tube map that brings the hordes and ensuing house price inflation."

That seems to assume that rampant housing inflation and hordes are a good thing.

"Also being a single stop from Clapham will make DH an obvious overflow - Balham and Tooting have done well for no other reason than proximity to Clapham."

Actually, ED doesn't seem to have done too badly with the limited transport links it has already, and in spite of the undeniable attraction of being liked more closely to Clapham (I realise that it's inconceivable that anyone could really not want that). Also, surely Clapham is only a single stop from Denmark Hill already, but that hasn't made much difference to DH so far. Personally, when I chose to come to live in ED, the last thing on my mind was whether it was convenient to Clapham, and I have very little interest, in terms of the EDF, in what benefits the ELL will bring to Camberwell.

However, in terms of its usefulness for ED, if I were to wish to take the ELL, I would almost certainly travel one stop to Peckham Rye from ED station and change onto the ELL there.

Whether you personally like or dislike Clapham is moot. My own opinion is that it's ok. Of the two I prefer East Dulwich.

House price inflation in ED in spite of poor links to Clapham does not imply good links to Clapham would not inflate prices further. ED is still cheaper than Clapham. Similarly I am not saying that the only route to house price inflation is to build transport connections to Clapham.

You are right though that DH is currently only one stop from Clapham but you are wrong in your assumption that prices don't reflect this. It was certainly mentioned when we moved here. The problem is it is one train stop not a tube. Tubes increase values more than train stations. Again though don't confuse this with me saying tubes are the only cause of house price inflation.

You are entitled to take as little interest in the ELLE impact on Camberwell as you wish. Your disinterest however I'm sure is not shared by all users of the forum especially those living in Camberwell, of which there are many.

Back to the million pound properties and a quick search of rightmove and findaprperty implies that ED is likely to get the next four and open up a bit of a gap but who knows where we'll be in ten years.

I'll keep you posted..