"No Entry" sign on Rye Lane

timtim

I've just received a Penalty Charge Notice for failing to comply with a "No Entry" sign on Rye Lane. I emailed the council and was told the camera is on "Rye Lane, near the junction with Heaton Road".

Looking at the map I think this must refer to the No Entry sign preventing cars from driving north up Rye Lane towards the station. But I have never gone this way; I always drive up Copeland Road and rejoin Peckham Rye further up. And yet there is a photo of my car number plate on the penalty notice..

Has anyone else been caught out here? I just can't figure this out...

The no entry sign is at the south end of rye lane. If you drive from Peckham Rye station, and go straiht on towards the park, there is a no entry sign on the left hand side of the road (nr Barclays). It is intended to stop you from going straight on and force you to go left up a slip road past the Nags Head into the one way system.

I have been caught out by it... it's really badly sign-posted and there should be road markings to show it actually a bus lane only. The other issue is that the no entry sign is nearer the slip road than the main road - adding to the confusion - In fact, thinking about it, there is a bike lane between the sign and the road too.

I was furious wuth the PCN - but simply couldn't be bothered to contest it as it would end up in court and just be a complete pain in the neck.

If you contest it - i will help with my statement and we can try and do this together (and with anyone else who fancies beating the cr@p out of traffic SS and the fascist council).

Thanks for your post Tom, I am sure this is where I was caught out.

The sttange thing is that I have seen many cars go through this section; indeed I swear I have done it myself on numerous occasions.. I don't know why this is the first time I have had a ticket.

I will indeed contest it. I will let you all know how I get on.

Has anyone else fallen-foul of this?

Thanks,

Tim

Being only a part time driver I fell into the no entry trap on Rye Lane a few weeks ago. As soon as a realized what I'd done I stopped and tried to back up, then a bus drove up my back end and forced me on. I haven't seen a ticket yet but wouldn't be surprised if I got one soon. I'd be happy to contribute in writing if you wished to contest this as I think it's poorly signed for such a busy intersection. There is too much else to concentrate on especially if you don't know it's there.

Ed - If the bus was up your @rse (so to speak) as they often are, on this occasion he has done you a favour as he will have obscured your plate from the camera (which is outside barclays).

Tim - I used that road regularly for more than 6 months until I got a ticket - maybe it's a new sign, or maybe there is a more vigilant camera operator working there. Either way - its useless and good on you for challenging it.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Tim,

It may well be worthwhile asking the council for the relevant "Traffic Management Order"........for this "No Entry" sign.

The council must supply this to you , if requested...(in relation to a parking or motoring offence), and once received,you can then investigate whether the sign was in fact "legal" which quite a lot of the signs are not (incorrectly placed according to transport regulations or not correctly placed according to the councils own "Traffic Management Order",..........and then take it from there.......you may well be pleasantly surprised..............

the same applies to the vast majority of parking tickets that are handed out in this country........they are not legal,but unfortunately "it is too much bother" to contest them.......and the councils simply keep issuing them in huge numbers, in the knowledge that the vast majority of the population will carry on paying them......

hth

I was caught out last summer and I always went straight onto Rye Lane, never turned left on Heaton Road by the Del Boy" pub.

The council told me that they recently took over the cameras ( located one on the Barclays Bank Building and the other on a lamppost in front of Barclays )and the junction used to be patrolled by Police ( what a load of horse shite ), anyway the sign might be confusing but it is quite large and is there, so I had to fork out the ?50 to the council.... by the way this council is "labour" and NOT fascist as quoted by tom.... I mean is worse than a fascist council....

I have recently asked for the Traffic Management Order for that sign but I'll go myself to the council and dig it out.... if there is one....

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.....

• 4 weeks later...

I fell into this trap on 11th Dec and am about to write to the Adjudicator. Pity I didnt see this thread earlier, but would be very interested to hear any more news on this. I gather the junction is now properly signed, but the council are adamant that the signage at the time met minimum requirements.

Has anyone seen the Traffic Management Order yet?

I think the sign is quite clear enough but despite that I still used to go through onto Rye lane on a regular basis as it is quite inconvenient otherwise, and I'm not quite sure why you shouldn't, anyway I was lucky enough not to be caught out, thank you to all you people on this thread, I won't do it again

• 1 month later...

Maybe snorky works for southwark council and gets commission from penalty notices.

This isnt bleating, southwark were completely in the wrong - the sign was inadequate, and they should not be allowed to get away with it.

I'm glad to say that after a few successful appeals southwark have finally come to their senses and cancelled tickets issued before the signs were made adequate.

NO I dont work for the council - you did wrong, yet you cant accept blame that you did wrong - tsk tsk tsk - a childish attitude

its always easier to blame someone else or nit pick for a loophole than admit responsibility for your own actions.