Pub quizes in East Dulwich (near Barry Rd)

Guest Steve Martock

I've recently moved into the area (Peckahm Rye end of Barry Road) and I'm looking for a decent pub quiz to invite some friends to. I've heard the Magdala(?) does a decent one but I can't/shouldn't do Sundays in the pub

cheers, Steve

ps I'm impressed that East Dulwich has it's own forum website!

I've been to the Magdela on a Sunday and it is a good larf, especially the Play your Cards Right bit at the end. ?2 each and you get sausage and chips with it. Nice.

Does anyone know what days the other quizzes happen on?

• 4 weeks later...

Gowlett pub quiz is on Monday nights.

Very nice and relaxed. ?1 per person, up to five per team.

Pizzas are better than good. Lots of really good beers.

• 2 weeks later...
We did the Gowlett pub quiz last night which was nice. At the start 2 grey bearded men came in and I think I remembered them from my last pub quiz in the CPT a few years ago because they scored 98 out of 100. And yes they were the same, they won and they're known as the Brainy Bearded Brothers or something similar. Do they go to every pub quiz in the area and win? Have they ever been beaten...?

• 2 weeks later...

They are known as The Beards, and they do tend to win most of the time!

CPT Quiz is hit and miss. It's 3 rounds of 20, the first of which is always "Pot Luck", then 2 rounds on various subjects. Thing is, quite often you think you'll do well on the film round, until you realise that it's pre 1950's films!!!

That said, The CPT is my regular haunt, so should stick up for them really! ;o)

Magdalla is a good laugh.

We tried out the Gowlett quiz last night. Very enjoyable evening despite the bloomin' bearded ones winning. Given that one of the categories was all about 'I'm a celebrity ... ', they certainly have a wide range of knowledge! Best pizzas ever tasted in this country I'd say and v nice atmosphere. Extremely friendly staff too. Thanks guys.

I love the Magdala quiz on a Sunday night. Starts promptly at 7.30 and is over by 9.30 so an early night. And you can win serious money on the Play Your Cards bit at the end - the pot got up to ?1000 a few weeks ago. I also noticed that the Uplands has started a music quiz on Tuesday nights.