55 - 65 year olds - where do they go?

Hi All - moved to East Dulwich a couple of months ago - where are all the middle-oldies? Where do the 55-65 (&75) year olds all hang out? I'm a 60 year old used to running organisations so I don't want to spend all day walking the dog & sitting in cafes (I love sitting in cafes but not morning & afternoon every day). I am emphatically not looking for a partner (I have one at home thanks) but looking for places to hang out. Come on, help me out here!

Some of the pubs in the area should be nice places, The Palmerston, Bishop, Franklins or the Dog in the village. Im not in your age range but my parents are and when they come to visit we always go to a pub and I really think that Dulwich is full of different aged people all milling around together, that is why it is such a nice place to live!

This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but if you are used to organising things why don't you think about doing some voluntary work in the area which might introduce you to other people. Charities/voluntary groups are always looking for well organised people who have time to help and then there could be committees to stand on etc. I have met some great people of all ages in this way.

Come to Goose gigs - I'm your age group (upper end!) and we have a wide range of ages coming along from teens to sixty plus.

If you don't like folk concerts or clubs, the Singaround is fun - and FREE! People sing all kinds of stuff, not just folk.

Everyone is very friendly and you'll soon get to know people, or if you don't we can introduce you to people.

:)-D

ETA: You don't actually have to sing at the Singaround, you can just come and listen if you like - though most people do seem to weaken and at least join in the choruses :) The next one is on Sunday 13 November, and we are now Upstairs at the Mag (Lordship Lane, corner of Pellatt Road)

ETA: Or have you looked here:

What's On in East Dulwich ?

Loads of stuff going on locally, though I don't suppose any of the organisers keep a note of people's ages :)

Depends on what your interests are I guess. Though speaking for myself, I'd hate to hang out only with people of my own age .......

Hi All - great & helpful responses - keep 'em coming as am sure there are other people in my position... Much appreciated.

Jenny & Peckhampam - thanks for suggestions - one or two cafes/venues not yet explored. Andrew 1011- fair question & made me think, of course I was still working (running an organisation) but we lived in a young people's area (will leave you to guess where) too. Like NorthLondoner says 'gang activity' haha - certainly in North London where I lived years ago that was true esp amongst the rich. Cassius - agree about voluntary work - will look up Southward Volunteer Bureau but don't want to have the same life as before. Sue- love the Goose Gigs idea - will deffo go along & the Singaround too. Agree don't want to hang around with my age only but I do need my peer group too! I have looked at 'What's on' but difficult as an outsider to read between the lines. Just turn up I guess. Thanks to everyone & am sure others have appreciated all your suggestions too.

I am 63 next week. I enjoy sitting at home sucking Werthers Originals, saying things like "They don't make music like they used to do - no more MC5 and Jefferson Airplane" and "when I was a young man, you could go round the world for sixpence and still have change".

Seriously though, there are plenty of charity shops where you could help out, such as the MIND shop and St Christopher's in Lordship Lane, or Oxfam in Herne Hill. And what about lectures at the Dulwich Picture Gallery? There's also the WI and reading groups - check what's on at the library.

Plus with your Freedom Pass you don't need to hang about in ED. You can spend your day visiting freebie places in Central London, such as galleries, museums, parks.

Or you could chill out with da kidz back at home, innit?

GrumpyGranny Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Sue- love the

> Goose Gigs idea - will deffo go along & the

> Singaround too. Agree don't want to hang around

> with my age only but I do need my peer group too!

xxxxxx

GrumpyGranny, if you come to a gig or the Singaround, just ask for Sue or Nygel and we'll try to introduce you to people who appear to be around your age group, but actually it's often very very hard to tell how old people are just by looking at them :)

See all our upcoming gigs here and see if you fancy any of them, and we even have John Otway at The Ivy House in December, if you remember him :) - Not strictly folk, but fun :)

BTW - just because somebody is around your age doesn't mean to say you'll have anything in common with them except your age!

At the East Dulwich Community Centre we are very conscious that there is a middle group of people who do not fit into the young mums/exercise groupies/have un limited money to pay for private classes in whatever/ not interested in bingo and such. At our recent open day we fully expected to have people in the 'middle' age goup moaning about lack of facilities/groups etc - but no one did. WE are open to the idea of having a University of 3td Age or WEA courses at the centre but only if there is a demand for it.

The libraries run clubs centered around activities such as jewellry making, try Dulwich or Grove Vale Libs

GrumpyGranny Wrote:

> Hi All - moved to East Dulwich a couple of months

> ago - where are all the middle-oldies? Where do

> the 55-65 (&75) year olds all hang out? I'm a 60

> year old used to running organisations so I don't

> want to spend all day walking the dog & sitting in

> cafes (I love sitting in cafes but not morning &

> afternoon every day). I am emphatically not

> looking for a partner (I have one at home thanks)

> but looking for places to hang out. Come on, help

> me out here!

Hi & thanks to everyone for the second batch of suggestions. Wonderful. Was interested in the comment by Pugwash re U3A (University of the Third Age) - I had already had a look a month ago and was disappointed that the nearest one was in Croydon. Ah - the perennial question about 'demand' - sometimes the only way is to put something on & stand back & see! I like the suggestion of library classes/clubs too. Have logged on to Paradiso Cinema plus Supper Clubs sound good. Agree with Zebedee about Freedom Pass - a truly wonderful thing....I can certainly feel an idea for a blog coming on......

Grumpy Granny, there's a lovely, friendly group that meets at the Magnolia on the first Tuesday of every month to play backgammon (beginners are very welcome). I think there's a fair few who come along that are in the (upper) age range you mention but really its a good range of ages and ability, men and women. Its advertised in the forum's 'What's on' section.

Also, I can echo Sue's comments about the singalong sessions. I have been to two previously when they were held at the CPT and they're extremely welcoming and fun for all ages. You don't even have to be into folk music or anything but the songs and singers are amazing, its a really enjoyable night. Highly recommended.

Peckhampam Wrote:

> and another for U3A. Perhaps we need to start an

> ED branch?

xxxxxxx

Pugwash has said (above) that the East Dulwich Community Centre would be open to this if there was sufficient demand, so maybe anybody who would be interested should PM Pugwash?

Katie, thanks for your kind words about the Singaround, it makes it all worth while when people appreciate what we're doing!

According to the U3A guy who co ordinates this area is that if there are only a very small number of people interested in a subject i.e conversational spanish, they usually meet in someones house as they do not have to pay hall hire fees.

larger groups obviously need more space and this is where the costs add up as would expect people to chip in hall hire costs.

A fair few seem to be taking acting classes at City Lit at concessionary prices and having fun working as film and TV extras. 176 bus stops nearby.