Quickest Way to Heathrow

Hi guys,

I am currently in the process of buying a property on Barry Road, and I just wanted a bit of advice on Transport options.

I travel quite a lot for work - usually from Heathrow, and I wanted to know the best way / fastest way / cheapest way to get there from East Dulwich.

My main question is, how much would it cost for a car company to take me out there, and what would the duration be?

I am a bit spoilt at the moment, living close to Paddington, and the Heathrow Express, so I just wanted to know what my viable options would be once I move to ED?

Thank you in advance!

It's not an easy journey, by any means. I've been driven on this route at about 5am and it still seemed to take forever. The easiest route by public transport is probably as mentioned above (or use LGW).

To get a rough price for cab, best to call Addison Lee. Their price will probably be about ?2-3 more than local company, but they are reliable and professional. I imagine you would be looking at about ?50 minimum.

?50 for a cab is about right, you might get ?40 if you phone around, but with a flight to catch (and if your company is paying) then its worth paying for a reliable company. This will usually be the quickest route, about an hour door to door if you are leaving between 5-6am to get an early business flight somewhere.

Alternative route via public transport for you from Barry Road is No 12 bus down to Peckham Rye station, train to victoria, tube to paddington, which will take about an hour, not including heathrow express/connect.

If it's first thing or evening, I get a cab to Hyde Park Corner and then jump on the Picadilly line. When there's more traffic, then I get the cab to Brixton, catch the Victoria line and change at Green Park for the Picadilly.

Coming back from LHR is always the worst journey though. Anyone got a tip for a good route?

The most stressful part of any journey for me is the changing - so the fewer changes the better. So I go to Victoria and rather than mooch about getting to Paddington I just get the district along a couple of stops and change for Picadilly (no walking required)

It MIGHT take a few minutes longer in the end - but not significantly. And is less hassle (and cheaper)

The journey back? Never good... all journey's back from anywhere to anywhere are not good at best of times... but I just reverse the Victoria trip

I have gotten cabs but even at 6am it's just painful - and I'm in no mood to speak to driver anyway

I've got to meet a flight landing there at 05.30 Tuesday and I'm driving. By the time they've got off the plane and picked up luggage etc we will be hitting the rush hour on the way back. Any suggestions for a route avoiding M4 and rush hour traffic in general? I rarely go further than Camberwell so have no idea.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The most stressful part of any journey for me is

> the changing - so the fewer changes the better. So

> I go to Victoria and rather than mooch about

> getting to Paddington I just get the district

> along a couple of stops and change for Picadilly

> (no walking required)

>

> It MIGHT take a few minutes longer in the end -

> but not significantly. And is less hassle (and

> cheaper)

>

> The journey back? Never good... all journey's back

> from anywhere to anywhere are not good at best of

> times... but I just reverse the Victoria trip

>

I'd echo this and suggest you go via herne hill if you can get someone to drop you (or cycle). from there you can take your pick from trains to victoria or blackfriars to link up with the underground. or if you really want to limit changes get the thameslink to kings cross and get straight on piccadilly line to heathrow there. may take a tad longer though.

one word of warning. over xmas we arrived at blackfriars with seconds left to catch the correct train to herne hill. we jumped on the train on the indicated platform but when the whistle blew it didn't pull out. Nobody told us that the train in service only consisted of the first four carriages on the very long platform...

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> The most stressful part of any journey for me is

> the changing - so the fewer changes the better. So

> I go to Victoria and rather than mooch about

> getting to Paddington I just get the district

> along a couple of stops and change for Picadilly

> (no walking required)

>

> It MIGHT take a few minutes longer in the end -

> but not significantly. And is less hassle (and

> cheaper)

>

> The journey back? Never good... all journey's back

> from anywhere to anywhere are not good at best of

> times... but I just reverse the Victoria trip

>

> I have gotten cabs but even at 6am it's just

> painful - and I'm in no mood to speak to driver

> anyway

im with sean on this one bus/tube/train/taxi to victoria then district to acton town,change on to picadilly line.

can you not go out of Gatwick? Its much easier. Taxi to Clapham Juction or 37 bus and then Gatwick Express.

If Im going to Heathrow I get the train from Denmark Hill to Victoria then the District Line to Acton, then change to Picadilly line. I find this the easiest.

We've had this discussion before. If you're spending company money a taxi is far the best option - straight from your front door to the relevant terminal.

If you're travelling on your own money then its a cost / benefit question but if a family of four is spending ?750 a head for overseas holiday then taxi to / from at an extra ?100 represents, to me, excellent value. At >3% of the total holiday cost it's worth it to avoid having to herd teenagers, bags and co-ordinate them with crowded busses, tubes and trains. Travel is stressful enough - make it easy on yourself.

I do this weekly.

Best route (early morning flights) is south circular to clapham, through battersea, take a right onto trinity road, over wandsworth roundabout, up wandsworth bridge road, right at the end then left immediately to fulham broadway, up north end raod, take a left when you hit cromwell road /A4 then stright to heathrow.

Pink elephant ?21 a day in business parking plus excellent shuttle.

Panther cars will do a single trip for ?40.

Public transport - don't bother. If you want to punish yourself, then Heathrox Express, then bakerloo line to charring x, then either on to Honor oak park or east dulwich depending on preference.

Gatwick much easier. Honor oak park - East Croydon, East croydon - Gatwick. Don't bother with Herne hill, much slower.

Left ED at 04.36 this morning and arrived Thiefrow at 05.16 went through Camberwell up to Vauxhall along embankment etc etc to A4 & M4. But coming back I had a tip yesterday to come off at Hammersmith go over Putney Bridge and follow the South Circular and then cut through Dulwich. We left at 06.30 ish and were back before 07.30 very busy on M4 but after that very clear and fast.

I've always found it easiest to go via Victoria (185 all the way, or from Denmark Hill) taking a District Line train and changing to the Piccadilly Line at Barons Court - it's on the other side of the same platform. On the way back I usually do this and take a cab from Victoria to East Dulwich - usually about ?16.

On public transport a train from Denmark hill to either Victoria or Black friars (whichever comes first). You then take the district line and change at one of the Piccadilly line interchanges. Like you said around ?16. (which is a rip off IMO) I have done this on my own a few times but if there is more than 1 of you it is just as economical to get a cab.

you forget to mention Brendan Wrote:

> On public transport a train from Denmark hill to

> either Victoria or Black friars (whichever comes

> first). You then take the district line and change

> at one of the Piccadilly line interchanges. Like

> you said around ?16. (which is a rip off IMO) I

> have done this on my own a few times but if there

> is more than 1 of you it is just as economical to

> get a cab.

Is this ?16 including up till heathrow the heathrow express

is ?15 itself.

It's around ?16 to heathrow. You don't get the Heathrow Express you just stay on the picadilly line all the way.

Take a book. The whole thing takes one and a half to two hours.

If you go to paddington and take the Heathrow Express you may cut about 15 minutes off the journey.

Hi ,

I have use Panther Cars for all years around and i find them very reasonable and good. There charge ?38.00 to go their and ?45+ to pick up. They are not far from barry road so put there number in your phone just in case. (0208 639 0101)

good luck!