Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.knowledgeseekers.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Magnolia. The Black Cherry or another?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageCold/flu bug??
Posted by susierose 19 December, 2011 09:48

Has anyone had a really bad cold type bug, cough, tummy cramps, sickness and headaches loss of voice? I have had one for nearly 2 weeks now! doctors tomorow and im fed up with them saying sstay at home and dont come to surgery! just wonderd if it was somthing going round.

messageRe: Cold/flu bug??
Posted by smb12 19 December, 2011 10:32

Hi

I was wondering the same as my husband has been ill for the past two and half weeks and I am getting a little concerned as I can now safely say its not manflu. His symptoms are more gastroenteritis/stomach flu though - he has had stomach cramps and very upset stomach and can barely eat since the begining of December (which is very unlike him!).

Sorry - forgot to include - I hope you feel better soon. It sounds like a really nasty bug sad smiley(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:12:19:11:23:06 by smb12.

Posted by treehugger 19 December, 2011 11:11

I and lots of people have had a really bad cold - no temperature but really poorly. Off work for a week and not great for 2. Didn't have the sickness though, thank goodness. Hoep you feel better soon.

Posted by PeckhamRose 19 December, 2011 11:19

I probably got mine from someone who insisted on being in the waiting room at the surgery rather than taking their advice AND STAYING AT HOME!
And those martyrs who insist on going to work when they are clearly infectious and insist on sharing it with everyone on crowded busses and tubes, oh well done!

Whinge over.

Posted by PipD 19 December, 2011 12:57

Susierose, yep to all of the above! It's a persistent bugger, but after two weeks I feel like Iím over the worst.

I do go into work though, Iím no Martyr. The chances of avoiding the numerous bugs and viruses going around are next to nothing especially in London where most of use public transport, whether that be through airborne germs on the crammed train or on surfaces such as the escalator. Chuck in that a lot of these things are at their most contagious in the first few days before you have even noticed the symptoms unless you live in an oxygen tent, get chauffeured to work, wear a face mask all day and donít touch anything you are going to get ill. My way is to eat healthily, exercise and to get out of bed and get on with things. Oh, and plenty of paracetamol!

Posted by DJKillaQueen 19 December, 2011 13:40

I had this for almost four weeks and was really ill for the first two weeks. You just have to let it run it's course.

--------------------
Gooooaaaaalllllll!

Posted by susierose 19 December, 2011 15:48

Thanks all! this is a real get ya down! i had very painfull cramps last night as well, like someone twisting my upper stomach! wouldnt wish it on my worst enermy! Im supoosed to spend xmas with my in-laws who are quite old and am really worried about them catching it! Think my partner would not be happy if i said i cant go! but dont want to get them ill at their age. Sod's law i think!!!! sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:12:19:15:50:21 by susierose.

Posted by Salsaboy 19 December, 2011 16:22

Norovirus possibly?

Posted by susierose 19 December, 2011 16:38

could be Salsaboy, bit of that a flu i think! seeing as ive had it nearly 2 weeks! altho i have sickness feeling from the start i only got cramps and was vomited lastnight.

Posted by civilservant 19 December, 2011 20:58

Mr CS has had just the same - abdominal cramps, upset stomach and a cold that just stays and stays.

We put it down to dodgy buffet fare at a work Christmas do (though that didn't explain the sniffle), but he'll be relieved to hear that it's just another seasonal flu bug. Hope you get better soon, it's a nasty one to have!

Posted by karter 19 December, 2011 21:24

Family Karter were really taken down by something too, we ate lots of soup, elderberry juice and manuka honey and so far so good for chrimbo. big grin

Posted by jimmyay 20 December, 2011 19:08

i've had it - version of the noro virus i think . has gone now but terrible scratchy throat, nausea and dizziness, coming in waves over a few days. horrible, but it does pass.

Posted by Dorothy 20 December, 2011 19:36

It is December. Surely there are always cold/flu/stomach bugs doing the rounds? I was pretty poorly this time last year and have had a couple of viruses already this winter.

Is it actually newsworthy?

Posted by the-e-dealer 21 December, 2011 10:40

My son seems to have caught it at holiday drop off. No its not newsworthy better not tell the press. But it is useful to know what is going around,

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by susierose 21 December, 2011 13:28

May not be news worthy but this forum is for people in east dulwich to share info, gain info and if needed ask info. so thats that really! I needed to know something and got some really usefull replys back! So worked well for me! Thankyou you all for replying! im feeling alot better now althou throats still rough! :-) Hope all have a very merry christmas and a very happy new year! :-) :-) :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:12:21:13:30:46 by susierose.

Posted by Ridgley 21 December, 2011 15:17

I am going through it now is awful sad smiley

Posted by paps 21 December, 2011 16:18

My 7 month old seems to have got it for the second time!!

Anyone else had any experience with a baby having it?

Baby paps is vomiting after every bottle milk or diarolyte
but doc says I need to keep on with the milk!!

Any advice grateful!!

Posted by Sue 21 December, 2011 16:22

paps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 7 month old seems to have got it for the second
> time!!
>
> Anyone else had any experience with a baby having
> it?
>

xxxxxx

You might get more response putting this in the Family section, maybe?

Posted by paps 21 December, 2011 16:39

Thanks sue just found a post in the baby section that has really helped big grin

Posted by notapoppet 21 December, 2011 20:36

Hey !! This is news worthy.
It's a wied bug, my daughter really poorly for a week, sickness, stomach/head ache....went away then came back, had it for 3 weeks now but getting better. My teenage son just had stomach ache and headache and very noxious gases. I've just had wierd dizzy head and very knackered.
I think it's a form of the Noro......bless it !!
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a national data base you could check and see whats at large in your area?

Posted by JohnL 22 December, 2011 09:06

It's the longest lasting flu turning to cough I've ever had, and I don't get them usually

4 weeks now.

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is December. Surely there are always
> cold/flu/stomach bugs doing the rounds? I was
> pretty poorly this time last year and have had a
> couple of viruses already this winter.
>
> Is it actually newsworthy?

Posted by susierose 22 December, 2011 12:07

it is a nasty bug! started to feel better the last few days then this morning BAM! back to square one! Hacking cough and feeling cold and so tired! :-(

Posted by Strawbs 27 December, 2011 11:49

I've just started with those symptoms yesterday but no cramps just waves of nausea.. Worried my 8 week old will catch it from me..

Posted by biancason 27 December, 2011 20:15

I had this flu! It started with a sleepless night, then waves of nausea, night sweats and eventually the total loss of my voice. I kept working through it and ended up hanging on to the thing for six weeks!

There is nothing the GP can do for you. I finally started with Lempsip and accepted that I could not continue to keep pushing myself. A few days of total rest is working.

This virus is a really awful one. Make sure you take care of yourself.

Good luck.

Posted by catma 28 December, 2011 08:39

oh god....woke up with mild sore throat and had indigestion (already got gastritis).....hope it's not this!

Posted by Strawbs 28 December, 2011 09:53

Mine has now escalated to sickness and diaharrea and swallowing razor blades.. Myself and the baby aren't moving from the sofa today..

Posted by sheilarose 28 December, 2011 10:21

Absolute best thing for a sore throat: Green Bay Harvest Manuka Honey Suckers -- you can buy them from Ocado.
I think I've been lucky -- 15 hours of nearly non-stop vomiting -- but now I'm fine except for sore ribs and throat and dehydration as a result of aforesaid 15 hours.

Posted by Ms B 28 December, 2011 11:55

I've had something like this in a mild form for nearly 3 weeks with a break of a few days in the middle. I think what helped was taking 500g of vitamin C (I take the Solgar one which includes rosehips, you can get it from Health Matters on LL) every hour or two for the first few days. I can't take paracetamol but fresh ginger in hot water (with honey and lemon) also helps bring your temperature down.

What didn't help was getting caught in the rain on my bike several nights running..,

Posted by tarafitness 29 December, 2011 11:20

most people I know have had some sort of this horrible sickness

I have mercifully been spared the worst but my boyfriend's been really bunged up and foggy with a headache... my son's also had the headache (although no other symptoms) for a while now

everyone on the train sounded like they had it too - must be the season to be snotty! tra la la la laaaa la la la lar

winking smiley

wishing everyone a speedy recovery!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:12:29:11:21:14 by tarafitness.

Posted by Nero 30 December, 2011 00:27

About three weeks ago I had very bad smelling wind, a poisoned feeling with pains in my joints, including fingers, sinus woes and a general lethargy but no vomiting or cold symptoms. It was very unpleasant but I don't think it fits the norovirus pattern of symptoms. Could it have been something like giardia? I did feel dizzy and had very vivid and hyper-real dreams. Hmm. Anyone else?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed