Salvation Army -singing Carols

Freddy1929

Is the Salvation Army coming to Lordship Lane to sing Carols this year, or have I missed them already? Once I hear them singing Carols I know Christmas is here.

I'm an atheist, but I'm very fond of the Salvation Army, they do some incredible work for homeless people.

Also my Dad (also an atheist!) was in Submarines during the war, and he always use to say that were ever he docked during the war, the Salvation Army were always there, and he could always get a wash, cup of tea and a meal! So when ever I see them with a collecting tin, I always put a few quid in, for me Dad.

When they sing Carols, it always brings a tear to me eye!

I'm another supporter of the Sally Army. My grandmother was a member and used to tell tales of her "branch" regularly saving a particular drunk who would sign the pledge, get a new suit, pawn the suit and get drunk again in time to be saved again the following fortnight. She ended her days taking gin in her tea as a medicinal precaution.

I gave early this year to them in Oxford St.

Just spoke to the gentleman(Alan) who runs the Nunhead Salvation Army who told me their band played carols outside dulwich library a couple of weeks ago and he doesn't know of any other plans this close to xmas.

Hope that helps and really sorry if you missed it

Happy xmas

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They do good work, it's true but they

> perpetuate

> > homophobia, so my money goes elsewhere.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> How do they do that, exactly?

They are like a lot of religious groups with a strong theological pov and are against practising homosexuals - though celibate ones are tolerated. sally-ann boycott

Sue Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They do good work, it's true but they

> perpetuate

> > homophobia, so my money goes elsewhere.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> How do they do that, exactly?

Maxxi's link explains. Nice of them to tolerate gay people as long as they deny themselves a normal, healthy relationship.

Sue Wrote:

> That's a shame if it's true.

It's definitely true. A simple google search will show you there's been quite a lot of controversy about it recently. It would be great if an organisation like this could use their position to do some good in this area but so far they're refusing to shift their stance and are quite entrenched in their homophobia. Ironic really because there's little that is gayer than someone in uniform shaking a tambourine!