Blood tests at East Dulwich Hospital

verds

And ask for Carl I think his name is, the black guy with the very friendly manner. He not only didn't hurt at all but treated me as if I was the only person he had seen that day, with plenty of eye contact (not scarily so) and asking about me in a truly friendly manner. His colleague, middle aged black woman, was so rude and took a personal call on her mobile without apology before she had finished with me! And it hurt and she said "Of course it hurts, I just put a needle in you!" Definitely avoid early morning and as above, I went about 11 and waited 5 mins.

I went for blood tests this morning, armed with a book as I thought I'd have to wait for ages.

I got there at just after 8am and the place was empty. I got to go straight in.

The staff were all saying it must be people still recovering from the holidays and loath to venture out!

I had a woman who fits your description,, Peckham Rose, and she was extremely friendly and pleasant and it didn't hurt at all, she was very gentle. I think you must have been unlucky.

ETA: I had intended to get there about 7.15am as they start doing the tests at 7.30am and I thought the earlier I was there the greatest chance of being first in the queue and not having to wait. However as usual I dilly dallyed about so got there much later than I intended - however luckily it didn't matter to me as I'm no longer working.

Maybe if you phoned them they could tell you the best time to go to have the best chance of being seen quickly? But I'm sure it must change a bit from day to day ..... they were certainly expecting more people there this morning than - er - virtually nobody!

Another two people turned up, one just after me and one as I was leaving, and they were also both seen straight away.

I am one of those who have to have fasting blood tests but as a carer, cannot get there before 9 am - need to be at work by 10. Last time I went to Dulwich waited 2 hours and had to ring work up on my mobile to say I was stuck. Felt very faint when I came out as not having any food since 7 pm the night before.

Mentioned this to my practice nurse who advised that I went to the GP surgery in future as a couple of times a week they have a HNA who takes blood between 8 - 9 15 - waiting time usually 10 mins. Since the surgery is nearer than the hospital I usually have a 8.45/9 am appointment. I pop into sainsburys or Tesco on my way to work to buy a sandwich.

This is a good ploy for enduring long waits. I went to Dulwich for my blood test, took my ticket, and I had about 20 people in front of me. I calculated how long each person took and realised I had around 30 minutes, so I went off and had a delicious coffee at one of the many coffee houses in ED, came back to the waiting room, timing it to arrive with only 2 people left in front of me, only waited five minutes or so, had my blood test and went home

Whenever I've been I've always had the cheery and professional Carl. Given just how busy his day is I think its testament to the man that he still maintains a happy demeanour and doesnt treat you as if you've just come off a conveyor belt. Lets raise a glass(Claret of course)to Carl!

Yes there may well be :)

But the one I had fitted your description and was working in the next cubicle to somebody who fitted your description of Carl (although I should imagine being very friendly is part of the job, so that could have been somebody else too as I didn't see his name badge, only said hello briefly as I went in and then later heard him talking through the curtain).

I wasn't trying to make anything of it, Peckham Rose, I was just offering a different experience to the one you had had.

ETA: And as you didn't give the woman's name, it seems somewhat unfair as anybody reading your post would be avoiding all women in that department answering to your description - including my very friendly and gentle one.