Roman Fort, Dawson's Heights Overhill Road

,I seem to remember a local writer called Brian Green in the 1970's makes reference to a Roman fort being on the hill. Interestingly there were a number of ditches across the northern facing side of the hill in the 1970's. It has such a commanding view that it wouldn't be surprising if a defensive structure of some sorts of the period was located there.

The name Dawson's Heights comes from the Dawson's Brick Factory that was located nearby. I believe that this factory provided a lot of bricks during reconstruction in the area following WW2

Brian Green is a local historian. Wrote a few definitive books on the history of Dulwich and Edward Alleyn. I believe he still owns the stationers/toy shop in the village. He was also involved with the IMPS (of which I was a young member in the early 60s - a sort of younger version of the Boys' Brigade. I'm assuming he is still alive though he must be getting on a bit now if he is.

I have lived in the area for over eighty years and there was never a brick works on or near Dawsons Hill, having been involved in the reconstruction of the WW11 bombed properties here no bricks new or reclaimed came from Dawsons Hill.

The use of Dawsons Hill was only at the top at Overhill Road, here were a row of prewar houses, with a row of lock up garages to the rear, and a passage through to the sloping grassed area of the hill, this was used as we would say these days by Fly Tippers and Estate Agents who repaired houses and disposed of the unwanted household furniture and building materials down the slope.

The houses were demolished to make way for Dawson Heights.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I realise that I am a few years too late to give a timely response to this post, but I stumbled across it and couldn't resist messaging. I'm a postgraduate student researching the history of Dawson's Heights and I wondered where you found this information about the heights being named after a local brick factory?

Warm regards,

Tarn

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Frank Field -  a decent politician.   Frank Field, Baron Field of Birkenhead - Wikipedia
    • The alternative would be to let them free, to be predated on and without parents to teach them the necessities of survival. Clearly this is an unhelpful model of instruction, but, given the ducklings have been born and will not survive without parental care (unless they are hand reared in the school - which I doubt has the capacity of skill for this) then gassing them is the most 'humane' action. The school should perhaps have thought through what is the likely outcome for ducklings which are not being reared by either skilled farmers or ducks. I suspect that the duckings would not be saleable to farmers having been initially born and raised in circumstances which were not sterile for introduction into larger flocks. 
    • That's a good idea smiley blue , if you or anyone else comes across petitions to end these despicable acts of cruelty to defenceless animals please put on here or start a new thread if you please so we can sign the petition and add our objections to this , I would also like to thank all of you the people for reading these messages and adding your voices to this cruelty,  maybe we can end it 
    • Malumbu, by that measure are police efforts to cut down on anti-social driving by issuing tickets and fines a token effort as well? Surely punitive measures for cyclists breaking the rules will encourage them not to break the rules again? A bit like when you got stopped and taken into the cab of an HGV. The police are currently using that tactic to show those who break the rules cycling that it might lead them to being hit by a lorry due to the driver's having limited vision - the cycling equivalent of a speed awareness course for drivers.    When they stopped you was it because you had broken a rule or was it just more of an education programme and they asked you to take a look and did it change your cycling behaviour in any way? As I said previously there are those who break the rules on cycling out of ignorance (and those out of arrogance) and I am sure they are using HGVs to educate those in the ignorance category and then hitting those in the arrogance category with the PCNs.    
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In