Scam - the Organisation for Homeless and Unemployed people

Just to warn that I was duped by a bloke selling door to door tonight on behalf of this 'organisation'. He seemed like a nice bloke and it seemed like a good cause but I wasn't 100% convinced so decided to Google it after spending a fiver on some dusters; I found this:

"Residents encouraged

to report scammers

REPORTS of a group of individuals operating a door-to-door sales scam have

been released by Lambeth trading standards to prevent more householders

from being duped.

Well-spoken, smartly dressed young men have been reported harassing residents into

buying household goods with various hard luck stories. The goods considered over-priced by

the residents include tea towels for ?7.99 and scrubbing brushes for ?2.

When residents have been reluctant or simply not interested they have either been cajoled

with hard luck tales of how their livelihood depends on the sale or subjected to verbal abuse.

One resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: ?They seemed trained in selling and

quite persistent.?

The names given by the group are ?The Organisation For Homeless & Unemployed People?

PO Box 2457 Woodford Green IG8 1EE and ?The Homeless & Unemployed Workgroup? PO

Box 66 Loughton, Essex IG10 3UQ. A query with the post office has uncovered that the PO

Box numbers are false and neither postcodes exist in the Loughton and Woodford Green

area.

Under new Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2007 pressurising a

consumer into buying a product or service by telling them that if they do not buy then the

trader?s job or livelihood will be in jeopardy could be a prohibited practice. Trading with a name

that is not identifiable also infringes basic consumer protection legislation.

Residents are advised to report any sightings of this group to Lambeth trading standards

on 0207 926 6102 or their local police station?s Safer Neighbourhood Team. A list of the SNT

offices and contact numbers can be found on the Metropolitan Police website in the Lambeth

safer neighbourhood section. www.met.police.uk/saferneighbourhoods"

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7E0BA3D1-9C83-4A9E-AB19-93674CF2B47F/0/LL48.pdf

This scam has been around for years, don't know if it's still the same people. They were operating round here when I moved here 20 years ago!

My then partner, being very soft-hearted, was duped into buying some rubbish tea towels.

There have been threads on the forum before, but thanks for warning us that these people are around again.

It's a scam when something is being sold 'as if' for charity when it's not. It's a scam when something is sold of below acceptable quality. It's a scam when unreasonable pressure is put onto, often, elderly or vulnerable people to buy at the door. Often you buy things (like Remembrance poppies) for reasons other than your desire to 'have' such an item.

The week before last on our doorstep at 20:30 - my wife answered the door, while I was trying to settle our daughter, to a young man holding a crate of tea-towels etc.

Young man: 'Hello darling, nothing to worry about. I'm working with the youth and wondered if you would be interested in buying something'

My wife: 'No thanks, we're just trying to get our daughter to sleep'

Young man, aggresively: 'Come on, it's not like I'm asking to come in for dinner'

My wife: 'No thank you' and closed the door.

The young man then stood outside shouting and swearing.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think ibilly might be insinuating there are

> things worth worrying about.

>

> And then there is this.

I realise that - but I don't understand why bogus charities and aggressive behaviour are not worth worrying about.

Besides, we can't solve the financial crisis (assuming that's what ibilly is referring to), but we can prevent people buying crap from these people.

Sounds like the people I bought some oven kits over a few weeks ago. Wasn't over-priced, I needed some mits and had been looking for some nice ones for a while so I was very happy he came to the door. Shame that it wasn't doing The good I thought it was but I'd have bought the mits whether it was for a good cause or not. Not nice to hear that others have been intimidated by them - glad I liked his spotted oven mits!

• 6 months later...

I purchased from these people last night. Although the items were overpriced I thought I would choose something that may be of use to me, so I would be assured I was getting something I would use and help a local cause at the same time.

Later that night, I was thinking about the name. 'Organisation'. Not a charity, or society, but and 'organisation' I should have realised earlier.

With regard to the comments above, if it is something you need then yes, it is not so bad. However, to find these people are being deceitful with a fake PO Box number, and claiming to be working for such an important cause, this is what I find most upsetting. It also has a great effect on future, genuine charity groups collecting in the area.

Mentioning here, to bring to all members attention that this bogus organisation is back in your area. If you want it, visit the local pound shop and give the extra to the Shelter group.

I've got done by these guys, was a bit shocked at the prices but thought I was doing some good (he said he was homeless). I checked out the address on the label - it doesn't exist and is very similar to those listed above.

My mate got talking to one of these people on his doorstep, giving him a story about being out of work/homeless; then he took out an iPhone! Business must be booming

See attached picture - avoid this type of stuff!

I've had these guys round a few times (Lyndhurst Grove SE15) and have to say I LOATHE it when I open the door and see it's them. I bought from them the first time, and afterwards thought it may have been a 'scam' in the sense that they weren't *really* part of a big scheme to help unemployed people get back to work blah blah. My guy's sales pitch included telling me things like if he sold just one eensy weensy more item then he'd win a prize of something to do with meeting Jamie Oliver (??).

The last time they were round I was on my own with two small children, trying to give them dinner. When I said 'thanks but no thanks, am in the middle of feeding my twin toddlers' and smiled at him, he swore at me and accused me of laughing at him. We had a slight argument at the door as I just couldn't believe how aggressive he became when I said no and I have to say that afterwards I felt a bit vulnerable. I am not the wussy kind but opening your door to someone who goes on to verbally abuse you, and who happens to be a 6 foot something big bloke claiming to be homeless and/or unemployed... not exactly what one wants of a Tuesday evening, is it?

iclaudia Wrote:

I just couldn't believe how aggressive he became

> when I said no and I have to say that afterwards I

> felt a bit vulnerable. I am not the wussy kind

> but opening your door to someone who goes on to

> verbally abuse you, and who happens to be a 6 foot

> something big bloke claiming to be homeless and/or

> unemployed... not exactly what one wants of a

> Tuesday evening, is it?

xxxxxx

Don't know if it actually helps, but I've just fitted a chain to my front door for this sort of reason.

Now I've just got to get into the habit of using it :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have just had a cold-caller (about 5 minutes ago, at 20:50) knock on my door on the Abbotswood Estate. He got as far as introducing himself as Jason from the Organisation for the Homeless before I told him 'it is way too late' - he then huffed and walked off without saying anything.

Anyone else had the same guy cold call them? Was he selling something?

Ha! Yes, young black fellow rang a half-hour past; to me, quite polite and well-spoken; I apologised for not being able to purchase / contribute and he said, Oh, that's all right, good night then -- must check in the morning to see if the car's been keyed

Alex K Wrote:

> Ha! Yes, young black fellow rang a half-hour

> past; to me, quite polite and well-spoken; I

> apologised for not being able to purchase /

> contribute and he said, Oh, that's all right, good

> night then -- must check in the morning to see if

> the car's been keyed

That's the guy. It's not good that they are knocking on people's doors past 9pm. I'm sure he's had worse this evening - including from me - so I am sure your car will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

After another visit from a stroppy youth selling cleaning products late in the evening I contacted the probation service who he said he was selling on behalf of.Reply below.

In relation to your email about a Probation Scheme for offenders selling cleaning products from door to door, I can confirm that London Probation Trust don't run any projects or schemes that requires offenders to sell cleaning products, therefore I can confirm that this is more than likely NOT a legitimate scheme.

I would advise you to call the police if this persists.

Can I be of any further assistance?

Kind Regards

Samira Al-Hassan (Trainee Legal Executive)

Corporate Governance and Legal Services

London Probation Trust

151 Buckingham Palace Road

London, SW1W 9SZ

Tel: 0300 048 0012

Fax: 0300 048 0297

Twitter:@LondonProbation

www.london-probation.org.uk

Changing lives for a safer London