Damage to car on Nutfield Road - Grrrrrrrrr.....

nutty

Just in the completely hopeless off chance that someone saw the driver of the car who smashed the front of my Lotus on Nutfield Road within the last couple of weeks I thought I'd post a message here so you can sneak on them (or knee cap them - I don't mind).

[rant]It is the lowest of the low to drive away when you know you've damaged another car whilst parking - there is NO excuse.

Suffice to say it will cost me a huge excess, the loss of my no claims, and a massive amount of hassle in getting it fixed.

Hope you are proud of yourselves![/rant]

(6)

Word.

If you live in London, you will have to accept this tho'

I had a lovely 911 and to remove a few ugly stone chips on the bonnet lip and the bumper, I had these bits ptofessionaly resprayed at a dealer not cheap but utterly immaculate.

the very next morning I was looking ou of the window and saw a snooty bag who lived down the road ( I dont want to mention which road in ED) reversing into a space right outside her national trust colours painted house and scraping the bumper dowm to the plastic , whilst rocking the 91l on its suspension quite violently.I obviously rushed down to confront her within about 1 minute and she denied it.I showed her the damage and she denied that it was her & told me it must have been there some time / wasnt her / not her problem

now this woman is a pillar of the local community, well respected & indeed well known, church goer, involved in charitable events and still lives in the same house in the same "very desireable" street.

Now if a normal upstanding citizen refuses to accept blame, then It is unlikely that a random bad parker will volunteer to cover the costs.

Oh well.

PS I know this "lady" reads the M/board - maybe this will prompt her to come clean once and for all - but I doubt it - I dont want to mention the fact that you go out at night and scratch other peoples cars that you seem to think should not be parked there. Im sure there are a few ED residents wo would love to know who is responsible for it . I wont mention either that your version of what is right and wrong also includes filling up other peoples skips with your tatty old kithen units after dark - tut tut tut

rant over:)

Yeah - pretty much every car I have owned I have had this happen to. Someone actually managed to write off an Astra I owned in a parking accident. God knows how they hit it so hard! As I spend more of my hard-earned on nicer cars it just gets more annoying. Oh for the day I can afford a driveway/garage...

I don't like off street parking because it reduces our ever decreasing green spaces in ED. Also- have you ever watched paved over front gardens when it rains? The water sloshes around and over fills the drains in the streets.

If you even have a few pots out or any kind of greenery out front they will absorb most of the excess rainwater as well as providing a habitat for our wildlife.

I speak as the owner of possibly the most dented car in ED. (Never our fault. honest!) But we do have a nice front yard thing with some good tubs AND today is first day of spring so get planting!!!

I have a front drive...when we moved in, we had the paving removed and gravel put down. this is better as it allows the water to drain into the soil. Not as good as plants of course. But it's great not to have ones car so open to scratchers and mad parkers as described above.

Chartwell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course you could always get rid of the car! I

> have a driveway and no car...and I've just joined

> Streetcar for all those times when I occasionally

> use one. :)

Do streetcar hire nice cars?

ED is not well enough connected to get rid of the car, in my opinion. Without a car, I'd spend at least 3-4 extra hours a week travelling. For example, my girlfriend's house is a 15-20 minute drive, but one hour by public transport, sometimes more.

And maybe a front garden looks more pretty without a driveway, but it's a small price to pay! I've always valued function over aesthetics anyway...

Nutty wrote:

----------------------------------------

>Do streetcar hire nice cars?

Not in the league of Guy Salmon and there certainly aren't any 911s! They're VW Golfs/Polos.

Here's the link to the ED page on the Streetcar website:

http://www.multimap.com/clients/browse.cgi?client=mycar&lon=-0.065800&lat=51.447400&scale=10000&width=500&height=300&rt=browse2&reclimit=1

Have a baby on the way so no chance I'll be without my own wheels anytime soon. May have to change the lotus for c Chelsea tractor though!

Agree with Jeremy re: connections. I work in Mayfair and ride in on my motorbike. Saves me approx 1 hour a day in travelling which when the baby comes along will be even more precious.

I think the point is that a non paved front garden is exactly about funtion over aesthetics. It is about rain water having natural ways to disperse rather than putting an increasing demand on our drains. Although its easy to dismiss it with prettyness although I think there is a lot to be said about kerb apperal of buildings with pretty front gardens. Yes yes have a driveway but as mentioned before paving, brick ect is not the only way.

mockney piers Wrote:

> Well that settles the snorkey/snorkeyess thing

> once and for all, only a man would buy a 911. Do

> you have white collars and cuffs on your pink

> striped Hawes and Curtis shirts perchance?

urgh!

I am not known for my sartorial elegance

Nowadays I opt for a more sensible mode of transport

snorky Wrote:

> mockney piers Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well that settles the snorkey/snorkeyess thing

> > once and for all, only a man would buy a 911.

> Do

> > you have white collars and cuffs on your pink

> > striped Hawes and Curtis shirts perchance?

>

> urgh!

>

> I am not known for my sartorial elegance

>

> Nowadays I opt for a more sensible mode of

> transport

I'm a girl and I have a 911

Nutty - I share your pain. My Lotus also suffered the same fate last week, when someone drove down the side (on a quite ED Street). I presume it was a lorry after spending much time examining the damage, CSI style. It is a shame that people aren?t honest enough to leave their details (poor upbringing) and I have now just come to terms with having to cover the excess.

Our new addition to the family arrived 7 weeks ago, so the Lotus is now rarely used (although its amazing the excuses you can conjure up for a spin out to the sticks) and always loses the fight with the little one for attention. Although I realise its days are numbered, I am holding out for a few more spring drives before patching her up and parting company??............sorry just getting more tissues