New betting shop at former Woolwich

Clyde

The people at Green Lanes got a petition of over 200 names and successfully defended themselves against three applications. I am sure if the councillors saw the local opposition they may start worrying about their seatsif they allow this to be granted. other than that everyone can write to the council licensing department like you do for planning.

I am sure Wiliam Hill and Ladbrokes will be doing something about it. I will speak to them tomorrow.

I can understand the need/demand for another betting shop if the existing ones were so crowded you couldn't get anymore people in. There are enough opportunities to gamble down LL if you include the Lottery, Rivoli amusement arcade, Ladbrokes. The article in the Guardian raises the point of exposure. The William Hill is already massive, the Woolwich is of comparable size. To pay the rent they will be under cutting each other promoting the feeling of no risk gambling with inducements and special offers. The existing gambling venues always look empty bar one man and his dog, has any one seen anyone in the Rivoli?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As I've said before.....have you noticed how many

> empty eateries there are on Lordship Lane most of

> the time?.....let's close half them down

And replace them with what? Oh right, a job centre for all the poor buggers who'd be jobless. Very working class hero ????.

What would you say if Blockbusters were to open next to Prime Time?

All most of us want are shops that either enhance the Lane (SMBS et al) or at least don't drag it back to the grotty ol days. At least then I suppose we could reply to a thread about all the half empty bookies in ED suggesting we shut them all down.......

You can object to the grant of this licence application if you can be classed as an interested party e.g a local resident or a local business that will be affected by it. To do so you will need to write to Southwark Licensing Service, C/O Environmental Health and Trading Services, The Chaplin Centre, Thurlow Street, London, SE17 2DG by the 18th of January 2008. Your objection must meet one or more of the three licensing objectives i.e Keeping Gambling Crime Free; Making Sure that Gambling is Fair and Open; Protecting Children and Vulnerable Persons. Subject to your objection being received by the due date you can also attend at the Local Authority Licensing Committee Meeting that will decide the application and give verbal evidence. Such action by local people has been successful under the new legislation. People in support of the application have a similar right of representation under the same criteria. The Statutory Notice currently affixed to the frontage of the premises gives similar information. It is a matter for local people to decide whether they want another betting ofice or not and take the appropriate action by the 18th January 2008. After that the opportunity is lost.

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are already loads of betting shops in ED,

> and they always seem to be empty apart from one or

> two forlorn-looking punters.

Ant, if you are opposed to it you have the opportunity to make your views heard by the LOcal Authority but the clock is ticking. Same goes for anybody else who is against it or for it.

Trouble is the retail mentality. No diversity, if you own a betting shop nd you want to open another one where better than near another betting shop. Why do you think there are so many Estate Agents and restaurants? Why do people go to Brick Lne (or LL for that matter) for a curry. Pigeons and car parks.