Cycle Route to Elephant and Castle

Nick1962

I have recently aquired a new bike and want to cycle into Lordsip Lane daily from my home in Waterloo. I heard that there is a dis-used track/canal/trainline that links East Dulwich to Elephant and Castle, popular with walkers and cyclists alike. Can anyone tell me where this is please or even if it exists?

Not to dampen your enthusiasm but I seem to recall that there have been some worrying posts reported here with regards to that route. Nasty experiences in the evenings for cyclists with group of youths attempting to push them off, stick things through their spokes or put a rope across the path so they can nick their valuables. Might be safer waiting for the lighter nights before taking that particular cut through; it's a lovely route at weekends and during the day. Having said that, I can't recall any recently so perhaps the problems have stopped.

I mapped the route onto google a while back http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=218208326307037829098.0004a87d382672a9e6e31&msa=0&ll=51.464863,-0.08287&spn=0.016924,0.038581. Whilst the park is closed I'm going Wells Way - Southampton Way - Peckham Rd (briefly, to turn right) - Lyndhurst Way, which is fine, and probably quicker than the park anyway.

Never had any unpleasantness on the route, but I've never gone that way in the dark. I definitely wouldn't cycle through the park at night.

Cycled that route for a couple of years and never seen any sign of 'ropes across the path' etc - sounds like an urban scare story. Usual common sense rules apply and there are always exceptions with groups of young lads etc, but never experienced any myself. If you'd rather avoid the canal route, I take the Southampton Way, Wells Way, Portland Way route. Always been fine for me. Enjoy the brutalist sixties architecture on the way!

Quote from a few years ago

"I was attacked cycling across Burgess Park after dark a couple of years ago. Two guys swung a scaffold pole at my face and tried to steal my bike. I think it's only because I was "clipped in", wearing shoes with cleats that attach to my pedals, that I didn't come off the bike immediately and rolled into a better-lit section of path, where they didn't chase me. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I needed a bit of surgery to put my nose back together. After that I kept to the roads: I'd rather be able to see the dangers I face when cycling! "

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,189418,211263

If you're after a middle-ground sort of route that avoids busy Southampton Way, I recommend going through the housing estates.

Here's a map: http://g.co/maps/8k2vd

At the bottom of Lyndhurst Way, head straight across to go down Kelly Avenue. (the road has a barrier but space for cycles down each side). Turn left at the bottom on to Commercial Way, then hang the (third I think) right into Chandler Way. Again there are some bollards on the road's entrance but not a problem for bikes.

Then it's straight down to St George's Way, turn left and then right at the lights.

Not as fast as just going down Southampton Way, but it's much quieter which, to me, is more pleasant. You can get a clear run without dodging buses and weaving round traffic jams (though it does get busy along St George's Way waiting for the lights)

i've used Burgess Park for a couple of years ,daily on my commute to and from work. at the moment much of the park is shut so the cut through is shorter. however i have never experienced any problems. On dark winter nights i tend to go as quickly as possible, however - it's unlit and rather spooky but i woudln't say i've ever seen troublemakers around.

There were problems on Surrey Canal Walk but they were two and a half years ago with the perpetrators being arrested.

Instead of cutting through Burgess Park, just continue using the cycle route on Glengall Road, crossing the Old Kent Rd then cutting across towards the Borough and Waterloo.