Forum Sponsors

www.knowledgeseekers.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.white-edge.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: warning-strange man hanging around in childrens playground.
Posted by Penguin68 20 March, 2012 09:56

It is entirely appropriate if you consider that someone is acting suspiciously to notify those competent to come to a considered judgement about this; clearly others too had a concern.

However we should be wary of ourselves leaping to conclusions (as opposed to suspicions) without clear evidence. We are increasingly being sensitised to treat others with suspicion, and to assume the possibility of the worst of motives. There are people out there who are odd, or different, or ‘look’ threatening but in fact are not a threat to anyone (except, sadly, sometimes, to themselves).

Raising a concern is good; coming to premature conclusions (and then, in some cases, though evidently not this, acting on them) is how ‘innocent’ people – crippled, mentally ill, physically ill sometimes, end up being beaten up and injured. Even, recent cases would suggest, informed people such as the police cannot distinguish between someone who is threatening and dangerous and someone with autism.

Be wary, absolutely yes, but avoid being judgemental in the absence of clear facts or knowledge. Alert others to the possibility of a problem, yes, but don't start a witch-hunt (which I don't believe the OP was in any way trying to do)

Posted by mfcjoe 20 March, 2012 10:09

Mr Penguin68 I could not have put it better myself, i apologise if i hurt the OP feelings but, sometimes when i read some of the things on this message board it makes me cringe, London is full of odd people, if the police were called every time someone does something a little odd or strange they would be snowed under.
This part of south London is known for it's large number of care in the community cases and it seems like a few of them frequent this forum. LOL

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 10:14

Yes it would be better if you were in a care home kfcjoe.

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by mfcjoe 20 March, 2012 10:22

And with a name like e-dealer you should be in jail. Psst got any E,s mate.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 10:35

Like E-Mails which dont relate to drugs, E- Commerce which doesnt Relate to Drugs, And EBook which doesnt relate to Drugs E Dealer doesnt not relate to drugs. However KFCJOE does sound and talk like a muppet.

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by mfcjoe 20 March, 2012 10:55

Yeah i know that Mr dealer, go and wash the brown stain off of your nose, it's very unsightly.

Posted by Marmora Man 20 March, 2012 11:20

I second Penguin68's post. I too felt that that OP and subsequent messages of support were tending to encourage undue suspicion of strangers.

This is to the detriment of true community spirit and potentially discourages individuals from coming to the aid or support of others - particularly vulnerable others, in case their motives are questioned.

Posted by Otta 20 March, 2012 11:26

I agree that witch hunts are to be avoided, but the OP was clearly intimidated, on more than one occasion, and I think the man's behaviour does sound odd.

Now maybe he is care in the community, and meant no harm at all, but maybe he wasn't. I think if I was a woman taking my kid to that playground on my own, I'd rather know about this, not so I could take my pitch fork, but just so I could be aware.

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 12:14

Unlike those above, I promote people to be cautious of strangers and always on your toes when your human instinct kicks in and you suspect someone of being threatening or ever so slighty dodgy. Many of the middle-class people in ED, with the greatest respect, tend to live in a fantasy wet behind the ears world where e regime is lovely and you won't come across harm if your nice to people etc - this is London, it's been a vile, corrupt, suspicious and crime ridden city for centuries, it's not the home-counties, always be on your guard.

Louisa.

Posted by *Bob* 20 March, 2012 12:36

Louisa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Many of the middle-class people in ED..

Ooh.. there it goes again!

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 13:07

Well you can hardly be working class if you have time to waste on here writing drivel!

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 13:08

*Bob* as much as it pains me to constantly reflect upon the many naive traits of the middle classes, I feel as though I have been doing them a service since 2007. Who else would publicy shame a yummy mummy for picking daffodils on goose green? Or feel the urge to lay down the facts about the reality of London being a nasty place? Some, not all, of said community would happily see the demise of Le Moulin with not a jot of consideration for the many committed local residents such as myself who have salves tirelessly over decades to promote it's very existence, thaw supporting a local business, not proping up 'selective' independent traders just because they sell organic pork chops. Rant over.

Louisa.

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 13:11

the-e-dealer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well you can hardly be working class if you have
> time to waste on here writing drivel!

At what point did I point out being working class? And drivel, judging by your previous posts on this and other topics you may well want to take a leaf out of your own book!

Louisa.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 13:14

And I agree with Louisa - Glad I don't disagree! :-)

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 13:17

You know it makes sense e-dealer smileys with beer

Louisa.

Posted by El Pibe 20 March, 2012 13:19

Are you trying to say that Le Moulin's sauces were actually medicinal or that they produced their food through some sort of indentured labour?

Yours 'muddled from middleclassia'.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 13:20

Where's Le Moulin?

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by El Pibe 20 March, 2012 13:25

It was at the top of Lordship Lane.
I had no idea it had gone the way of an East Dulwich Daffodil, so inconspicuous was its presence!!

Never again shall I partake of it's prawn cocktail starter and Angel Delight from the sweet trolley sad smiley

Posted by *Bob* 20 March, 2012 13:27

Fear not, Pibe.. there are plenty of other local eateries thaw you can prope up.

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 13:30

It was a decent independently owned restaurant, but because it didn't 'fit in' with te image the new middle class residents wanted to promote of ED, it failed to survive the onslaught of drastically changing trends. Like many of the peculiarities of middle class folk, they pick and choose which 'indy' shops fit in with their remit, and equally re same with chain stores/restaurants. A real shame, a real local business. But oh well, as long we have gourmet burgers and organic cat litter who cares eh? Long live Clapham!

Louisa.

Posted by El Pibe 20 March, 2012 13:34

Conjugate the verb 'To Project'

I am independently minded.
You are incapable of rational thought.
They are victims of social peer pressure.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 13:35

Angel Delight ! ? Yum !!

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 13:44

I've been incapable of rational thought for years, especially since battling with the hearts and minds of the intelligencia on here! But I'm like a rat up a drain pipe when it comes to fighting the corner for the old school ED'ers in their battle with the Clapham invaders with their love of all things organic and expensive. And yes they are victims of peer pressure!

Louisa.

Posted by Penguin68 20 March, 2012 13:45

It was a decent independently owned restaurant, but because it didn't 'fit in' with te image the new middle class residents wanted to promote of ED, it failed to survive the onslaught of drastically changing trends. Like many of the peculiarities of middle class folk, they pick and choose which 'indy' shops fit in with their remit, and equally re same with chain stores/restaurants. A real shame, a real local business. But oh well, as long we have gourmet burgers and organic cat litter who cares eh? Long live Clapham!

Or to put it another way - it failed to meet, or perhaps to communicate it was meeting, customer needs. That's a failure of marketing (marketeers identify customer needs and design products and services to meet those needs, or communicate effectively that they have got such products and services). No business is 'owed' a living just because it, in the past, did its job well. If it wanted to continue trading it should have changed to meet its customer needs - it was no longer occupying a commercial position. Lots of non cat litter and burger businesses do survive, indeed do well, in E. Dulwich. Local is of no use if it isn't good as well. Or do you subscribe to supporting bad local businesses? I certainly don't (a bad business is one that doesn't meet customer needs at a 'market' price).

Posted by Chippy Minton 20 March, 2012 13:59

Quote:
Louisa
Like many of the peculiarities of middle class folk, they pick and choose which 'indy' shops fit in with their remit, and equally re same with chain stores/restaurants

Ehh? What is so wrong with people chosing where they spend their money? Should people have said "We think Le Moulin isn't very good, but we have to go their because it's a local 'indy' even though we'd rather go another local 'indy' that we actually really like" ??

Posted by Louisa 20 March, 2012 14:09

Many local Claphamites claim to be supportive of independent businesses and would rather spend their money in one of the trendy chain restaurants of the village or LL than supper a decent local place like Le Moulin, many wouldn't even set foot inside it. It's just pure snobbery a lot of the time. Of course choice is a great thing, but my argument is choice has been rail roaded around here!

Louisa.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 14:16

SHOULD THIS BE IN THE LOUNGE?

--------------------
Nor do I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:20:14:17:39 by the-e-dealer.

Posted by *Bob* 20 March, 2012 14:19

Lou, you might consider entertaining the possibility that by spending the last five years railing somewhat spitefully against the very people who ought to have been potential new customers - that you might, in some small way - have contributed to its demise.

In short: the next time you have a favourite restaurant, the management would probably prefer it if your online persona kept it to herself.

Posted by the-e-dealer 20 March, 2012 14:42

I used to like Spaghetti Weston!

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Otta 20 March, 2012 14:52

Quote:
Louisa
it didn't 'fit in' with te image the new middle class residents wanted to promote of ED, it failed to survive the onslaught of drastically changing trends.

Are you talking about The CPT?

I never ate in Le Moulin, but I heard nothing but very good things about it from friends that had. It can't be denied though that the place could have looked a bit better from the outside.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed