Do you live on Wood Vale?

Hi everyone,

I'm sounding out fellow Wood vale neighbours to see if anyone would be interested in joining a facebook group, or such like, if I were to start one, to share thoughts, ideas, questions, concerns etc with immediate neighbours. And maybe even make some new friends? I'm a mum of two under three, and often see other mums nearby and am too shy to say hello!

Maybe this thread will be enough, instead of a group? If you live on Wood Vale, and have an opinion either way, please do post.

Sarah

This guy does and will probably have a lot of time on his hands - knock on his door - Andy if you're reading this - your local neighbourhood needs you.

sy6e2512_jpg_560096c.jpg

His house ...

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Jul/Week2/16026879.jpg

That's fine. I'm sure it won't need a Facebook group, but there does seem to be a few mums happy to meet. Not imagining it will be exclusively about sharing concerns so much as getting to know neighbours. That's not everyone's cup of tea I realise. No worries.

We're on Wood Vale. A concern we have is the impact of the 480 lorries loaded with soil going in and out of the cemetery for four weeks in June/July. I think it's about 3 an hour Monday to Saturday 7:30am - 4:30pm. We've heard nothing more since the letter came through the door a few weeks ago:

http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=27177

As the road surface regularly subsides already, I wondered if Wood Valers should compile a group request for a re-surfacing provision, if necessary, as part of the original contract? Also - does anyone know if the hose pipe ban would apply to these type of works - as that could make the dust and dirt levels fairly unpleasant.

Fromtheteys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We're on Wood Vale. A concern we have is the

> impact of the 480 lorries loaded with soil going

> in and out of the cemetery for four weeks in

> June/July. I think it's about 3 an hour Monday to

> Saturday 7:30am - 4:30pm. We've heard nothing more

> since the letter came through the door a few weeks

> ago:

> http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgConvert2PDF.

> aspx?ID=27177

>

> As the road surface regularly subsides already, I

> wondered if Wood Valers should compile a group

> request for a re-surfacing provision, if

> necessary, as part of the original contract? Also

> - does anyone know if the hose pipe ban would

> apply to these type of works - as that could make

> the dust and dirt levels fairly unpleasant.

Hi there,

I think a group request for a re-surfacing provision sounds a good idea. I'm not sure the works would affect my end of Wood Vale, but nonetheless I would be happy to sign a group letter etc.

It's interesting that you suggest group action. I was speaking with the head of marketing at the Horniman this week, and he told me that they had tried to get in touch with a residents association for Wood Vale to discuss the proposed license change, but none was in existence. On the other side of the museum there is a residents association, which they were able to work with.

So far, it doesn't look much like there is support from residents for a formal residents group, but maybe in the future the need might arise. Maybe numbers 48 and 50, which posted the recent flyer through our doors about the Hornimann might want to get behind one? Does anyone know them?

> So far, it doesn't look much like there is support

> from residents for a formal residents group, but

> maybe in the future the need might arise. Maybe

> numbers 48 and 50, which posted the recent flyer

> through our doors about the Hornimann might want

> to get behind one? Does anyone know them?

A well known (and recently) ex-political spinner lives in extremely close proximity to those locations. It is understood that his (previous) tabloid journalistic skills were used to craft the wording in these flyers. 'Nuf said?

One of the odd things in having a residents association would be the need to work with two different councils since the boundaries of Southwark/Lewisham is the white line of the road. Since dealing with one can be difficult, dealing with two together may drive any association working groups to distraction.

I don't think we received any flyers about the Horniman... must go and check the recycling pile later!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are thinking about moving to woodvale with a young baby and 3 year old, would be great to hear from people who live on the road re what it is like, other young families, nurseries and schools close by and anything else that will help us get a feel as we are not living in the area currently.

big thanks

sally

We are also Wood Valers. I have a 6 year old and a 4 and a half year old - my older son goes to school with Jo Dearson's daughter in fact. Very interested in keeping in contact even if only on here.

I have asked Southwark for an update on the cemetery situation but they have not got back to me. I live opposite it and only foiund out about the proposed works because a friend on Ryedale had a flyer and I went to the drop in meeting.

Apparently they 'forgot' to flyer all of the properties actually overlooking the cemetery. Call me a cynic.....

Personally I am more concerned with the view from my window once the work has been completed... less park with a few headstones and more war grave type effect with row upon row of identical back to back headstones. Hmmm. I made a complaint and asked them to put more trees in and make it less depressing looking but funnily they haven't given me a status update as requested. If anyone does hear anything I would like to know

Thanks Jane

Hi Jane,

a conprehensive tree survey was carried out and many of the current trees are to remain. Some are to be removed, mainly due to type or weak root structure. Many new trees (there will be more than at present) plus shrubbery along the boundary with Wood Vale is to be planted. The site therefore won't be uniform like a virgin cemetery (fitting plots around trees) and greenery will be along the boundary with Wood Vale.

Renata

Renata

Despite the fact that we are living through the wettest drought since records began, I assume that the new trees to be planted will avoid those native British species (i.e beech) most susceptible to drought conditions in those parts of the cemetery which are not normally water-logged (i.e. the boggy bits along the Langton Rise border). Are there disease resistant chestnut and elm that can be planted. Will there be more London Plane trees?

Has anyone considered doing something for the jubilee? On Wood Vale would probably be impossible, but it might be feasible on Langton Rise? For a street with so many families, there is little going on and lots of opportunity!

Also, does anyone know if/where the Horniman posts when the nature walk gate is open or closed - getting frustrated with not knowing and arriving to be disappointed..

- mother of boys 8 and 5.

Hi Penguin,

I have no idea what type of trees are to be planted, I know that they are not going to be tiny saplings, but larger ones which may help with the contrary British weather conditions. I shall pass on your sensible comments re drought etc.

Renata

JillO Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone considered doing something for the

> jubilee? On Wood Vale would probably be

> impossible, but it might be feasible on Langton

> Rise? For a street with so many families, there

> is little going on and lots of opportunity!

>

> Also, does anyone know if/where the Horniman posts

> when the nature walk gate is open or closed -

> getting frustrated with not knowing and arriving

> to be disappointed..

>

> - mother of boys 8 and 5.

If you live in Wood Vale, have your Jubilee gathering there if you feel the need, not in Langton Rise. Please don't assume that everybody is into that kind of thing and that they won't mind the noise and disruption. It needs to be something that all, or at least the majority, of residents want to do and that will never be the case.

Hi Jill. W are going to be away for jubilee, and with a very new baby I think I might feel overwhelmed trying to organise anything if we were here. Bad timing for us! But, I love your sense of community spirit, so thanks for putting the thought out there. I'm sure a jubilee celebration can be enjoyed,, for its gathering of community, regardless of how one feels about the monarchy.

We are also moving thinking of moving to the road. We have young children. We are a bit concerned with the traffic. It seemed reasonably heavy at rush hour. What time does it calm down?

Hi Im buying on Woodvale, should be in residence by the end of May. Cant wait, it looks really quiet,and I just love the history and the energy of the road. Look forward to meeting the neighbours, and if there is residents group, I would be more then happy to join.

:)-D