Lordship Lane bars about 7 years ago?

Hello, this is my first post here. I am currently writing a story and I need to set a scene in ED in the summer of 2005. I just wanted to know from someone who already lived there at the time, which of the current bars and pubs was open at the time, or how have they changed name/management. I'm especially interested in Adventure Bar and Boho Bar or any place that was open in 2005 with a similar vibe and clientele to those. Thank you to anyone who will be so kind as to give me some information.

It would be a more interesting story if you took it back a couple of years further.

I think by 2005 The Lord Palmerston had already been changed into the gastro pub we know today, and The Foresters Arms (now that was a grim pub) had already become The Bishop. The Magdala had already changed into its yellow incarnation. Adventure Bar was Inside 72. Boho was a fruit-machine place. No Black Cherry. I think Green and Blue had already opened, but the 'bar' was a small windowless room in the back of the shop.

Inside72 was really cool place- known to regulars as the 'student bar'. Excellent indy music playing, only place around you could find Makers Mark. Nothing poncey or pseudo about it back then. Aaaah.....those were the days!

Inside 72 was what persuaded me to move to ED in 2003. Walked in there after looking at a property and the bar man gave me a run down of the area. The vibe in their was so friendly I was already sold. Was sad to see her go. Back then the "Brasserie" on North Cross Rd wasn't bad either....

wow, thanks so much, I am overwhelmed by all the replies. Unfortunately I cannot change the time setting, but it sounds like Inside 72 was the place to be :) You make me wish I'd been there, with all your great stories, I'm especially intrigued by the robots on the counter. Nicholas Spears, it's a short story, thanks for asking :)

Inside 72 was great. If you wanted to write about a mixture of young student types caught up in the Libetines indie scene and old beardy hippies supping ale then that would be your place.

Nothing like it in ED now. The Adventure Bar that replaced it is a TOWIE freakshow. I guess that's a bit snobby... ;-)

The Vale had had it's day by 2005. When it first opened as The Vale around 2002/03 it had a spell of being the only late night spot in the area, and we had some laughs in there dancing and getting hammered as 24 year olds. The manager always fancied himself as a bit of q gangster type, and the doormen tended to be arseholes.

By 2005 it would be pretty empty on a weekend night as other alternatives had opened.

Don't think Black Cherry opened til 2007.

EDT has always been there. It was the first place in the area to really modernise circa 2001, and attracted big crowds at weekends. Since then it's always stayed pretty busy.

Off the main strip, what is now "The Great Exhibition" was then The CPT (Crystal Palace Tavern). Although it had the reputation of an old mans pub, it did have quite a big number of 20something regulars, of which I was one, who were very friendly with the staff, and would regularly be in the upstairs living quarters drinking on the balcony after hours (happy happy days). Without the CPT, I wouldn't have met half my friends, or my wife.

Actually, that does remind me, we had our first snog in The Vale in Jan 05, when we all ended up there having started in The CPT, so The Vale must have still been alright, although that is one of the last times I ever went there.

Another shout to Inside 72. It felt like a little bar in Spain, had wicked music and decor. And pink candles stuck in JD bottles with the wax dripping down. Cool!

Too much red onion in the steak sandwiches though!!!

In the evening yes, but used to occasionally take a sicky from work, and spend a lazy afternoon in I72 with a mate, and that would involve food.

This thread has made me very nostalgic. It was only 7 years ago, but pre marriage and kids, it seems like a lifetime ago!

By the way, I'm not sure The Drum had opened at that stage. It mat have opened that year, or 2006, it didn't last long, which is a shame, because it was a fab late night drinking den! :)-D

I agree with Jeremy. It's a shame you aren't going back further as a lot more has changed and a far more interesting 'regeneration' study. Remember the old Kings on The Rye, on the corner of East Dulwich Rd & Peckham Rye? Now that's an entire book in itself. As for The Drum, it didn't have a late license and drove the residents to despair.