Interested in cycle to work in the City?

jonsuissy

I've been cycling into work in the city for a few years now and find its easily the best way to get to work - quicker, cheaper and of course much healthier and you get a tremendous feeling of empowerment.

I know that a lot of people are put off by the safety aspect but it can be reasonably safe if you know which way to go.

I'd be happy to lead a gentle trial run (approx 5 miles) from ED to the City area, say one Saturday morning before doing it for real again on the Monday. Then take it from there.

If you don't have a bike then there is a tax break "Cycle to work" scheme available which can halve the cost of buying a bike (but you do have to use it to cycle to work!)

Also, don't worry about the weather - you soon get warm and it hardly ever rains - honest.

Let me know if you are interested.

Jon

I am a regular cycle commuter but cycle to Battersea and have to say, I agree with the above. It takes out the guilt of not going to the gym and it hardly rains at e time you're actually on your bike.

Really nice idea Jon, I hope some people take you up on your offer!

Great idea Jon. I'd thoroughly agree with you too - I go from near the Horniman to Victoria most days and it's a great start to my day. There's a point on every commute where I find myself grinning. There are ways to avoid many of the hills around here too - you don't have to take Dog Kennel Hill like the buses do!

For anyone who is tempted, there's also great free cycle training available via Southwark Council. They cater for everyone from wobblers to those who can ride but don't like traffic.

Agree on some of the benefits, but also keep in mind the negatives of cycling in London. Its not all "better health" and "safe" - nor as cheap as you think when you take into account cost of bike, higher maintenance etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12298562

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/cycling/facts-figures.aspx

Not trying to put people off, but need to reflect a balanced view. I know far too many people who have had serious injuries riding in London ...

Good luck with this Jon. I've just got myself a bike again after a few years and did a trial run last weekend - about 25 minutes from SE22 due north to EC3 via Tower Bridge. Hoping to start properly on Monday. As for cost Lane lover - ?350 for the bike (which I also use at the weekends for fun) and accessories plus maintainance, versus ?648 for an annual rail pass is a clear win.

Do you take the TFL suggested cycle route Jon?

There is a perfectly good cycle bypass around the Elephant and Castle.

Also Surrey Canal Path and Burgess Path mean about 25% of my commute to Waterloo is off road (and no hills!). The rest is on quiet streets. I don't go the quickest route but still get there quicker than I can by public transport. My bike cost ?160 second hand, I have had one puncture (but that was probably down to the cheap tyres it came with) and a service once a year with a local independent bike shop is all I've really had to spend (ok - decent lock, helmet, lights, rack, pannier also essentials for me).

If anyone would like me to share my route then PM me. I started cycling it with a friend who knew the route, so would agree what Jon is suggesting is a really good idea. If I'd have had to start off by cycling the main routes/bus routes I really think I would have given up. I'm now more confident on the busier/main routes but would recommend starting off on the quiet routes. TFL provide free cycle route maps which are helpful - you can order from their website.

Also I wear my normal clothes to cycle in. Layers are good, you can strip one or two off once you get going. If you stop at red lights and don't cycle too fast you arrive at work with a healthy glow but no need to shower or change!

I have just got a bike and am going to cycle from forest hill rd to charing cross area - all tips on avoiding hills and roads that are very busy happily received. Also - does anyone know whether as I technically live in Lewisham councils area - whether I can attend the Southwark free lessons. (I'm right on the border)

thanks...

I actually did the maths recently on comparing bike and public transport costs for commuting over 3 years. I have a fairly decent bike and a reasonable amount of kit, I get the bike serviced regularly, and I don't avoid all public transport costs. Even then the cost over 3 years is well under ?1500 compared to over ?3000 for 3 x annual travelcard and because I expect the bike to last me longer than 3 years the annual cost decreases year on year.

I agree with all of the positive comments-- cycle to covent garden for work but I avoid the Elephant and Castle round about like the plague. There are lots of different routes into that part of London depending on where you live. I go via Kennington to get to waterloo and then over the bridge, voila!

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to do this from Marmora Road to Tavistck

> Sq. Agree with above comments - and would add that

> cycling around / across Elephant & Castle was

> agreat way to sharpen up mind and responses early

> in the morning - setting me up for the day ahead.

lane lover Wrote:

> Not trying to put people off, but need to reflect

> a balanced view. I know far too many people who

> have had serious injuries riding in London ...

You must know some very unlucky cyclists then or work in a role that means you meet a lot of them.

If we're sharing anecdotes as evidence of a balanced view, I know precisely one cyclist who has had a serious injury (broken bones etc) while cycling in traffic. I know a huge number more who have never had a bruise let alone anything worse. In comparison, I know quite a few pedestrians and drivers who have been seriously injured on the roads.

Everything has an element of risk, that's one reason I recommended the cycle training above. Learning how to deal with it effectively puts you in the safest position. Cycling - if you follow the rules of the road and basic common sense - isn't as dangerous as many believe.

for me crstal palace road - bellenden road - lyndhurst way - cut through an estate - go through corner of burgess park - portland road - bypass elephant - up through trinity church sq - then borough high st and london bridge

an absolute winner! 30 mins home to EC3....

No big roads until borough high st

lane lover Wrote:

> Agree on some of the benefits, but also keep in

> mind the negatives of cycling in London. Its not

> all "better health" and "safe" - nor as cheap as

> you think when you take into account cost of bike,

> higher maintenance etc.

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12298562

>

> http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformati

> on/cycling/facts-figures.aspx

>

> Not trying to put people off, but need to reflect

> a balanced view. I know far too many people who

> have had serious injuries riding in London ...

The NHS would disagree http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/spokes-the-nhs-cycling-network/messageboard/cycling-forum/896298078

And, I've cycled in for past 10 years, and it's cost me less than ?750 for the bike and maintenance in that time. Train alone would have been at least ?5k.

I agree with all you've said! I have recently started working in a central hospital and decided to bite the bullet and cycle and I love it! With long shifts, it takes away the guilt of not thrashing it out in the gym plus it wakes you up nicely in the morning. Good luck with this. Great idea.

Here's a map of the route via the Surrey Canal route to Waterloo via E&C bypass http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=218208326307037829098.0004a87d382672a9e6e31&msa=0&ll=51.485605,-0.08523&spn=0.033939,0.077162. Although I more often now take Lyndhurst Way - Southhampton Way - Wells Way as is faster though not so pretty. Also very happy to take anyone along that route if someone wants a guide!

Also would like to recommend the Southwark free lessons, even if you are an experienced cyclist. Had one recently to get some tips about maintenance and better technique (e.g. use of gears etc) and it was really useful. Learnt quite a bit even though I've been cycling for years. More info here http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200123/cycling/446/cycle_training/1 Can get them if you work or live in the borough.

And just to add, I feel that cycling around London is fairly safe if you ride sensibly and assertively. But still too many deaths this year, and it seems a lot of serious accidents happen when cyclists get caught inside left turning vehicles, esp lorries. So don't filter up the left hand side, not worth the risk! Take the lane and be visible, Southwark lessons also very good on this sort of stuff.

My comments:

I heartily agree that cycling is the ideal way to traverse London.

You can ride a very cheap bike as long as it is serviced regularly (like any bike), and it will function almost as well as anything. Then you are certainly saving money as well as becoming healthier.

A free two-hour cycle lesson is often given to those living or working in a particular borough - try the appropriate council's transport section for more info.

Cycling looks far more daunting from the side if the road than when you are in the thick of it.

Help London work smoothly - ride considerately and look out for yourself and you will surely never regret taking it up.

What a great idea! I've toyed with the idea of cycling to work but find the concept a bit daunting so to have a trial run at the weekend with someone who knows the journey would be brilliant. Having said that, I haven't had my bike out of the shed for over 4 years so it will need some TLC first. I saw some guys on North Cross Road today fixing up some bikes - are they there every week doing bike mots? How much do they charge?

@convex I go almost to White City from Barry Rd. Not the most picturesque ride until Victoria then it gets quite nice going through Belgravia, Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens (my office stops a bit short from Westfield). In the last two months my routes (one avoids DKH) have taken between 36 and 48 minutes but it's normally around 40mins.

Thanks for all the positive comments (and PMs).

csaddleton - perfectly doable. 2 options. ED to Tower Bridge, along Cable Street cycle path and you are there in no time. Other option might be to go to Greenwich and through the foot tunnel and then up the Isle Of Dogs.

If you wanted a trial run on a saturday morning I'd be happy to show you the way. I'd also be interested to know if anybody actually doing this journey had any suggestions.

damzel - Never used the North X Road people but I do use the guys at BC Bikes (36 East Dulwich Road 020 7732 4170). Can't fault them for friendliness, service or price. Of course others are available. When you've sorted the bike, let me know and we can do a trial run.

ziggy - don't know what the ftl route is but I go Bellenden Road, Canal Path, Grange Road, Bermondsey Street, London Bridge. Good luck with your ride (did you make it today? Lovely weather for it!!)

MarkE - let me know when you are ready to start

Woodland - you can but try. I did it for my daughter. Don'r remember being asked for my address. The traning was short but excellent.

csaddleton Wrote:

> anyone cycle to canary wharf, i would like to know

> if that's a doable ride..

35 minutes / 7 miles from top of Lordship Lane to Canary Wharf.

20 minutes to Greenwich, 5 minutes pushing the bike through Greenwich foot tunnel, and 10 minutes up to Canary Wharf.

I go Colyton Road, Homestall Road, Stuart Road, Rye Road, Surrey Road, Brockley Way, St Norbert Road, Mantle Road, Malpas Road, Florence Road and then down Greenwich High Street. Once north of the river it's straight up to wherever in Canary Wharf you want to go. Quiet back roads route with minimal gradients, so you can tailor it if you want a work out.