Cycling companion

Hi

I'm looking for a cycling companion to go out on 30km 40km, 50km runs Sundays and weekday evenings

Looking for someone with a mechanically ready bike and rider.

Not keen on racer types but a pace companion would be ideal

Please PM me or leave destination ideas on this thread.

Aim to West Wickham, Biggin Hill and Down.

Progress down to Westerham. Also, head to Mersham (past S' Coulsdon), then head up to Reigate Hill.

Or, my fav triathlon route was..... head to Purley, and take the A22 and to the 5-ways roundabout before Caterham, then head to Godstone, Gatwick and back again.

There are 101 rides I could suggest.

Good luck!

southside73 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What is your average speed when out on the bike?

Well, the last time I did a ride, I went out about say 5 miles south of Biggin Hill and, say Westerham and back to east Dulwich, in a loop route.

I set a phone alarm for two hours and set off, I will toss a coin as to go left or right at a junction or if the view is clearer or better for me to the right, I will go right, so my route is very meandering.

I got to Westerham in 2 hours so to calculate my average speed very approximately would be distance( as the crow flies)30miles divided by time: 4hours = 7.5miles per hour or about 12km/hr

Wow!

You are so under-selling yourself!

They built Biggin Hill airport / WW2 due to the altitude, Westerham is a substantial drop which means the return has an awesome climb at just a few miles an hour.

I have been running ED cycle groups from Goose Green on Sundays, one week parks and plaques, and the other for rides to greater distances like Brighton. 30-years ago as a triathlete, swimming 4-miles a day in the pool at Beckenham, then after work (I was a swimming teacher) 80-mile ride most days.

Upper Norwood is just c.80m, Crystal Palace is c.110m and Biggin Hill is c.180m. Now the top of Westerhm Hill is c.240m - It was tough with my back wheel as it was disaligned and sprockets loose. The good news was I took my new road bike back to Covent Garden and they personally rebuilt the wheel and is perfect!

I'm keeping an eye on this thread ;-:

McCabe

I'm currently running lots of fitness groups in parks, but.... you may be drawing me out of my shell. I no longer do the big speed, but I do enjoy my road bike to cover miles at ease on 120 psi tyres.

Proj London Health Wrote:

> Wow!

>

> You are so under-selling yourself!

>

> They built Biggin Hill airport / WW2 due to the

> altitude, Westerham is a substantial drop which

> means the return has an awesome climb at just a

> few miles an hour.

>

> I have been running ED cycle groups from Goose

> Green on Sundays, one week parks and plaques, and

> the other for rides to greater distances like

> Brighton. 30-years ago as a triathlete, swimming

> 4-miles a day in the pool at Beckenham, then after

> work (I was a swimming teacher) 80-mile ride most

> days.

>

> Upper Norwood is just c.80m, Crystal Palace is

> c.110m and Biggin Hill is c.180m. Now the top of

> Westerhm Hill is c.240m - It was tough with my

> back wheel as it was disaligned and sprockets

> loose. The good news was I took my new road bike

> back to Covent Garden and they personally rebuilt

> the wheel and is perfect!

>

>

>

>

> I'm keeping an eye on this thread ;-:

>

>

>

> McCabe

>

> I'm currently running lots of fitness groups in

> parks, but.... you may be drawing me out of my

> shell. I no longer do the big speed, but I do

> enjoy my road bike to cover miles at ease on 120

> psi tyres.

I got off and walked when it got too steep. Other times the road conditions meant I could nip along.

Are you planning one for this Sunday?

Anyone fancy a ride to Hamstead Heath this Sunday. Leave at 10 am from The caf? in Peckham Rye Park, take some sarnies. Stop for a rest and a bite. Be back for about 2pm ish?

I'll be there and will wait until 10.15

Just turn up or PM me

also thinking of doing an evening run for a sunset over parliament Hill, setting off at 6pm . Meeting place the same.

I'm not thinking of doing it twice though

Just PM'd you on the link.

A group member call John brought this ride to my attention - its great, lots of hills - and then I adapted the 2nd half and became really challenging: Farthing Downs via Croydon & Coulsdon, to A25, then a left to Godstone for tea & cake. The B roads to take you upto the Biggin Hill-ish area (this is a climb and a half), then take a left and head back towards Hayes (close to Bromley), then Elmers End and up Anerley Hill to Crystal Palace parade.

Hope this helps - its a great ride!

** NOTE / Warning **

Once you have climbed Farthing Downs you are now in a haven - very high up. If you choose to continue this beautiful ride up to the A25 and cross over the road to continue heading south, beware of a hill about 1-Km away. You climb a gentle hill for the said 1-Km or so, then you start heading down hill which feels great. Its an S-shaped downward hill, first to the right and then a moderate hairpin to the left - If you are not prepare, your speed will be c.25MPH and caught on another right hand bend which generally causes you to curve on the wrong side of the road. Now the road straightens and you could be upto 35-MPH or faster and decending like 'Eddie Eagle'. You will pass over the M25 and feel great!

Keep your fingers on the brakes and feather them incase you need to stop. Wash the rims the day before to remove a build up of rubber and use sandpaper between the rims and the brake pads to key the pads (making them rough) as after weeks they become smooth. Obviously, the rough side of the sandpaper on the pads and not the rims.

McCabe

This sounds great. I've only got a single speed for doing the commute at the moment. But I am hoping to upgrade this in the coming weeks and start out on longer rides. Not knowing any routes though it would be great to be able to have someone to ride out with. Just not sure about my pace over that distance!

Hi thisislawatts

I am planning to go out this Sunday, if the weather is fair.

I have been thinking of a few rides for the next couple of weeks. One is Richmond park, another, Chatham docks, Tilbury. ( I have an interest in Shipping )Further ahead, Rochester and the south coast.

I'm also very keen on night rides when it's warm and still. am very open to other ideas.

The rides are meant to be enjoyable but with effort on occasion to reach the destination..

Last Sundays ride to Hampstead heath was good. I was tired afterward as it was the first ride of over ten miles I had done for several months.

If you would like to Come out Sunday 1/6 and have an idea of where you might like to go drop me a line.

Hello,

I can't do Sunday but the weather is meant to be nice tomorrow and I might head out somewhere if anyone else is keen? I'm usually a bit of a wimp and just go and do loops of Richmond park, but I'd be keen to head elsewhere if someone is up for a bit of an explore for a couple of hours. I'm not especially fit, have only been cycling a few months (very sporadically) but am quite comfortable doing 50-60km in 2.5-3 hours.

thisislawatts Wrote:

> This sounds great. I've only got a single speed

> for doing the commute at the moment. But I am

> hoping to upgrade this in the coming weeks and

> start out on longer rides. Not knowing any routes

> though it would be great to be able to have

> someone to ride out with. Just not sure about my

> pace over that distance!

Have PM'ed you

sela Wrote:

> I'm looking to do more cycling, but prefer to

> cycle locally in the evenings of weekdays.

Hi sela

Yes, if you want to suggest a weekday evening ride, please PM me, I can be free one or two evenings a week

The ride tomorrow, June 8th will be a 4hr run, 2hours each way. Probably going to head south or east but if you have an idea do say so.

It's a moderate pace, not a race. The emphasis is on enjoyment with a bit of effort.

Meet at the Peckham Rye Caf? 10am tomorrow for a 10.15 departure.

NB. The run to the south coast has been put back a week to w/e 14/15/6/14

Pm me if interested or turn up tomorrow

Baring all but high southerly winds and heavy all day rain, but not a few showers, a coast run will set off from Peckham Rye Park Caf? Sunday morning 15/6/14

I am looking at a maximum of four riders

Please signal your firm intentions to go by PM or on this thread. No timewasters please. You and your bike must be in readiness.

Probably will set off about 8-9 am.

Thanks

pipsky2008 Wrote:

> Hi

>

> I'm looking for a cycling companion to go out on

> 40km, 50km working up to a coast run over the next

> fortnight starting this Sunday 25th May.

>

> Looking for someone with mechanically ready bike

> and rider.

>

> Not keen on racer types but a pace companion is what I am looking for. I can be free some weekday evenings.

>

> Please PM me

NB. Tomorrow, 15/6/14 is the British Heart Foundation London to Brighton cycle ride. I won't be joining this ride but if someone wants to ride down to Brighton early next week with me, please PM me.

I will be setting off early, about 7AM. Please make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition.

Thanks

pipsky2008 Wrote:

> Hi

>

> I'm looking for a cycling companion to go out on

> 40km, 50km working up to a coast run over the next

> fortnight starting this Sunday 25th May.

>

> Looking for someone with mechanically ready bike

> and rider.

>

> Not keen on racer types but a pace companion is what I am looking for. I can be free some weekday evenings.

>

> Please PM me

NB. Tomorrow, 15/6/14 is the British Heart Foundation London to Brighton cycle ride. I won't be joining this ride but if someone wants to ride down to Brighton early next week, please PM me.

I will be setting off early, about 7AM. Please make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Tomorrows ride will start from the Peckham Rye Caf? at 4pm.

Heading east to Dartford, over the QE2 bridge and back west over Tower Bridge and back.

About 40 miles all in all.

Bring a snack for the half way break!

PM me or meet at the caf? at 3.45pm