Exploring Midlife with Paint: a course for women, SE5, Sundays 21st Sept - 26th Oct

A course on six Sunday afternoons, 2-6pm. ?240.

"In the middle of the road of life,

I awoke in a dark wood,

where the true way was wholly lost."

Dante Alighieri.

At midlife people are often taken aback by the feeling of not knowing who they are any more. Things they have put their heart into for years no longer have meaning for them. They feel lost and adrift. This brings anxiety, distress and loss of energy.

But these feelings are actually to be welcomed. They are a sign of new life on its way : at midlife the Self, grounded in our true nature, is demanding that we become our authentic self at long last, and let go of the conditioned personality we've been using since childhood to adapt to our family and society.

But how do we do this?

I have found the Point Zero approach to intuitive painting - the playful process of responding in paint to what is natural in ourselves - to be a very good guide and companion.

The essence of intuitive painting is freedom from product. There is no judgement and it really doesn't matter how your painting turns out. (This is so radical you may want to reread the last two sentences!) This allows painters, usually for the first time since they were children, to become really present to, and explore, what they feel like painting.

This has really helped me unearth my Self at midlife. The more I paint intuitively, the more I become aware of the lively feelings beneath my conditioning, in my life as well as in painting. The painting process has also given me curiosity and trust in the ultimate benevolence of feelings that have prompted me to change my life in unforeseen ways.

You don't need any art experience or "perceived talent" to paint intuitively. This process is a path to self acceptance. It is about exploring the feeling of your aliveness with curiosity rather than meeting external expectations. In the studio you will never be put on the spot about your painting. The only rule is that nobody ever comments on another person's painting, even in a complimentary way. (As facilitator I wouldn't dream of it.) When we gather together at the end of the session it's to talk about our experiences, never about the appearance, content or meaning of what we have painted.

The first part of each session will be dedicated to the experience of becoming present to ourSelf through the practice of intuitive painting. The final hour will be an exploration of what midlife is asking of us, and what this means to us individually.

Do call Helena if you have any questions, on 07947 104 135.

paintingyourpathway.co.uk

The Whistling Studio

88 Grove Park

Camberwell

SE5 8LE