Award-Winning Military Historian Antony Beevor at The Michael Croft Theatre Thursday 9th October 201

dulwichbooks

Dulwich Books of West Dulwich in association with Alleyn's School presents international bestselling author and multi-award-winning military historian Antony Beevor who will be discussing his latest book, The Second World War, which has just been published in paperback.

The Second World War began in August 1939 on the edge of Manchuria and ended there exactly six years later with the Soviet invasion of northern China. Beevor's The Second World War focuses on the fate of the ordinary soldiers and civilians whose lives were crushed by the titanic forces unleashed in this, the most terrible war in history.

Antony Beevor served as a regular officer in the 11th Hussars in Germany. He is the author of Crete, which won a Runciman Prize; Paris After the Liberation (written with his wife, Artemis Cooper); Stalingrad, which won the Samuel Johnson Prize, the Wolfson Prize for History and the Hawthornden Prize for Literature; Berlin: The Downfall , which received the first Longman ? History Today Award; The Battle for Spain; and, most recently, D-Day, which received the Rusi Westminster Medal. His books have appeared in 30 languages and sold 5 million copies.

?His accounts of the key moments in the Second World War have a sense of colour, drama and immediacy that few narrative historians can match? ? Dominic Sandbrook (The Sunday Times)

?This is as comprehensive and objective an account of the course of the war as we are likely to get, and the most humanly moving to date.? - John Gray (The New Statesman)

This event will take place at 7.30 on Thursday 9th October 2014 at The Michael Croft Theatre, Alleyn's School, Townley Road, East Dulwich, SE22 8SU.

Tickets for this event are priced at ?10 (?8 under 18 concessions) and are available from http://mct.alleyns.org.uk/page.aspx?id=128 or from Dulwich Books, 6 Croxted Rd, London SE21 8SW. Tel: 020 8670 1920. Email [email protected]

For information of other forthcoming events including: Sarah Waters, David Mitchell, Tracy Chevalier and Laura Bates visit www.dulwichbooks.co.uk.

Books will be on sale at the event and Antony Beevor will sign copies following the talk.

• 3 weeks later...