Forum Sponsors

http://avalonkitchens.co.uk/
xxxx
helenphelan.com

Bespoke Windows Ltd

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
messageRe: Tuesday Tipplers Book Club - newbies welcome
Posted by Red_Cat 23 August, 2017 20:11

Be there shortly

Posted by marlowe 09 September, 2017 12:50

Sorry couldn't make last book club. Is there a date and a book for the next one?

Posted by Red_Cat 10 September, 2017 22:27

Unfortunately we were quite disorganised at the last meeting, we were going to go for 19th September but didn't decide on a book so that dates probably not going to work now.

Does anyone fancy doing a list then maybe we could organise a date for October?

Posted by marlowe 14 September, 2017 18:23

I don't mind doing a list. As it's black history month in October- I'll do a list of black writers.

Posted by marlowe 21 September, 2017 18:38

Here's the list:
James Baldwin - Another country
Another Country is a 1962 novel by James Baldwin. The novel is set in Greenwich Village in the late 1950s. It portrayed many themes that were taboo at the time of its release including bisexuality, interracial couples and extramarital affairs.
Toni Morriso - Bluest Eye
Morrison, a single mother of two sons, wrote the novel while she taught at Howard University.[1] She centered the story around a young African American girl named Pecola who grows up during the years following the Great Depression in Lorain, Ohio. Because of her dark skin color, Pecola gets taunted for her appearance as the members of her community associate beauty with "whiteness".

Alice Walker
This book honours and sincerely explores the link between spirituality and sexuality by telling the tale of a family, and all it’s members, after an event that altered their lives forever. Without giving too much away, it’s about the denial of a young girl’s sexuality, and ultimately her self and how that affects her, her father, mother and sister. It also has a huge impact on how they all relate to each other from that point onwards.

Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a 1969 autobiography about the early years of American writer and poet Maya Angelou. The first in a seven-volume series, it is a coming-of-age story that illustrates how strength of character and a love of literature can help overcome racism and trauma. The book begins when three-year-old Maya and her older brother are sent to Stamps, Arkansas, to live with their grandmother and ends when Maya becomes a mother at the age of 16. In the course of Caged Bird, Maya transforms from a victim of racism with an inferiority complex into a self-possessed, dignified young woman capable of responding to prejudice.

Malcolm X - The Diaries of Malcolm X
The heart of the book is Malcolm's impressions, his personal observations on the people he meets and the circumstances he encounters, his own feelings of trepid

Posted by Red_Cat 21 September, 2017 21:17

thanks, I think you missed off the name of the Alice Walker book, which one is it?

Posted by marlowe 22 September, 2017 12:20

For some reason I can't log on to my computer so I had to the list on my phone which is why it's so badly done. I can't find the name of the Alice Walker book so I'll change it to The Colour Purple.

Posted by marlowe 22 September, 2017 12:24

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story focuses on the life of African-American women in the southern United States in the 1930s, addressing numerous issues including their exceedingly low position in American social culture.
What dates are good for everyone in October?

Posted by Chezza798 22 September, 2017 15:24

Hi there,

I am moving Dulwich in January and would be really interested in joining your book group. I will continue to watch the thread so i know which book to read and when the January meeting will be. Look forward to meeting some new people.

Posted by JenniferJ 22 September, 2017 16:03

I can do any Tuesday except the 31st.
Jen x

Posted by Red_Cat 22 September, 2017 16:21

Can we do 17th or is that too soon? I don't think no can do 24th

Posted by marlowe 24 September, 2017 09:19

17th is fine for me

Posted by JenniferJ 24 September, 2017 14:30

17th works for me. See you then!
Shall we attempt to have a list for that date so we can vote on the night? As it will be late November what do people think of as a good topic? Should we dare go Christmas themed given following month may be tricky with diaries?
Jen x

Posted by marlowe 25 September, 2017 13:01

Great -can people pm me their choice for the 17th please?

Posted by marlowe 28 September, 2017 11:21

I've only had 2 votes so far.

Posted by JenniferJ 28 September, 2017 11:27

Just submitted my vote.
Jen xx

Posted by marlowe 28 September, 2017 13:41

Thanks for the votes - the winner is Another Country. See you on the 17!

Posted by kennethw 17 October, 2017 10:10

Hi everyone, I'll be a bit late tonight, so please start without me.

Kenneth

Posted by Red_Cat 17 October, 2017 18:15

I'll be there about 8.15

Posted by marlowe 17 October, 2017 20:17

Is anyone coming? Feeling a bit conspicuous on my own!

Posted by kennethw 17 October, 2017 22:56

I hadn't read Another Country but from the comments tonight, I might have another bash at it.

I offered to do a list of books set in London for the next meeting, we'll be in Tippler from 8pm on 21 November.

Andrew Taylor - The Ashes of London 497 pp

London, 1666. As the Great Fire consumes everything in its path, the body of a man is found in the ruins of St Paul’s Cathedral – stabbed in the neck, thumbs tied behind his back.
The son of a traitor, James Marwood is forced to hunt the killer through the city’s devastated streets. There he encounters a determined young woman, who will stop at nothing to secure her freedom.
When a second murder victim is discovered in the Fleet Ditch, Marwood is drawn into the political and religious intrigue of Westminster – and across the path of a killer with nothing to lose…

Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London 396 pp

Until January, Peter Grant was just a probationary constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking people as the Metropolitan Police Service (and as the Filth to everybody else). His only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the Case Progression Unit and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously perky WPC Leslie May. Then one night he tried to take a witness statement from someone who was dead but disturbingly voluable, and that brought him to the attention of Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England.

Julian Fellowes - Belgravia 417pp

In the 1840s, when the upper echelons of society began to rub shoulders with the emerging industrial nouveau riche, Belgravia is peopled by a rich cast of characters. The story begins on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. At the Duchess of Richmond's now legendary ball, one family's life will change for ever.

Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway 204pp

Clarissa Dalloway, the wife of a Conservative member of parliament, is preparing to give an evening party, while the shell-shocked Septimus Warren Smith hears the birds in Regent's Park chattering in Greek. There seems to be nothing, except perhaps London, to link Clarissa and Septimus. She is middle-aged and prosperous, with a sheltered happy life behind her; Smith is young, poor, and driven to hatred of himself and the whole human race. Yet both share a terror of existence, and sense the pull of death.

Posted by Red_Cat 17 October, 2017 23:09

That's was quick!

Posted by kennethw 17 October, 2017 23:13

Best to get the choices out there while I still remember.

Posted by susan_ 18 October, 2017 06:33

I'm so sorry I missed last night - it's been really busy at work and I sat down on the sofa when I got home, with every intention of coming out. Suffice to say I woke up at about 11 still in the same spot on the sofa!

Posted by kennethw 24 October, 2017 21:12

Hi, I was going to leave it till Saturday and count the votes then. Is that OK with everyone?

Posted by kennethw 30 October, 2017 22:13

Hi there, are there no more votes in the House?

I'll count them tomorrow and announce the winner tomorrow.

Posted by kennethw 03 November, 2017 08:39

And the winner is Rivers of London.

See you all at 8pm on 21 November in Tippler.

Posted by smallblue 16 November, 2017 11:41

Hello all!

I'm new to this group, and I'm hoping to come along on Tuesday, if you'll have me!

I'm almost half way into Rivers of London and finding something to laugh out loud to, at least twice a page!

See you there,
Raj.

Posted by kennethw 16 November, 2017 17:24

Hello Raj

Thanks for the message, it'd be great to see you. We usually sit in the front, I'll be there for 745

Posted by susan_ 16 November, 2017 22:51

This will be my second reading of Rivers of London - enjoying it just as much the second time!
See you all Tuesday and welcome Raj

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum