Forum Sponsors

www.raisedbybears.co.uk
xxxx
www.lorenzophotography.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
messageRe: Tuesday Tipplers Book Club - newbies welcome
Posted by LadyBird1977 29 November, 2016 11:54

Hello,

I just moved to the area and so will come and join you if that's ok on 10th Jan smiling smiley

I'm happy with A History of the World too.

See you then, Merry Christmas.

Ashley

Posted by LadyBird1977 29 November, 2016 11:57

Hello,

I just moved to the area so will join you on 10th Jan if that's ok?

I'm happy with A History of the World in 10 1\2 chapters.

See you soon and Merry Christmas!

Ashley

Posted by susan_ 07 December, 2016 08:43

Okay Bookclubbers, the results are in

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

10th January at 7:45 for 8pm start.

Posted by susan_ January 08, 03:48PM

I've just finished the book and am looking forward to discussing on Tuesday - see you all there?

Posted by overcaffeinated January 08, 03:51PM

I plan to be there! Especially as v keen to talk about the book...

Posted by LadyBird1977 January 08, 05:49PM

I am a newcomer. Really loved the book and looking forward to Tuesday. Ashley

Posted by marlowe January 10, 07:14PM

looking forward to discussing book. Might be a bit later though.

Posted by overcaffeinated January 10, 07:54PM

Am late but coming!

Posted by susan_ January 14, 08:57AM

So we decided to meet on 21st February and Kenneth volunteered to do a list of books for the February meeting - he'll post on the forum and we can PM him with votes.

Cat volunteered to create a list for our March meeting, but I don't remember if she'd already chosen a theme.

Posted by susan_ January 23, 08:08PM

Hey everyone - I'm not sure what happened to Kenneth but with time marching on I figured I'd post on his behalf smiling smiley

The uncommon reader
A masterpiece of comic brevity.’ Observer Led by her yapping corgis to the Westminster travelling library outside Buckingham Palace, the Queen finds herself taking out a novel by Ivy Compton-Burnett. Duff read though it proves to be, the following week she withdraws a second, more enjoyable choice of book. This awakens in Her Majesty a passion for reading so great that her public duties begin to suffer. And so, as she devours work by everyone from Hardy to Brookner to Proust to Beckett, her equerries conspire to bring the Queen's literary odyssey to a close. A gloriously entertaining comic narrative, but it is also much more: a deadly serious manifesto for the potential of reading to change lives.

Smut
A marvellous little book, small enough to put in a jacket pocket and so delightful that you'll want to keep taking it out again ... Part of the pleasure here is the unexpected mis-match between respectability and unseemly behaviour, but there's much more to it than that. These novellas are good enough to re-read and enjoy even when the events are no longer unexpected, and the reason is Bennett's sweet, easy prose. There is no sense of effort at all here. It's like watching an expert dancer dance, or an expert ice-skater skate. He just knows how to do it, and that's that

The clothes they stood up in
The Clothes They Stood Up In, the staid Ransomes return from the opera to find their Regent's Park flat stripped bare--right down to the toilet-paper roll. Free of all their earthly belongings, the couple faces a perplexing question: Who are they without the things they've spent a lifetime accumulating? Suddenly a world of unlimited, frightening possibility opens up before them.

The lady in the van
In "The Lady in the Van," which "The Village Voice called "one of the finest bursts of comic writing the twentieth century has produced," Bennett recounts the strange life of Miss Shepherd, a London eccentric who parked her van (overstuffed with decades' worth of old clothes, oozing batteries, and kitchen utensils still in their original packaging) in the author's driveway for more than fifteen years. A mesmerizing portrait of an outsider with an acquisitive taste and an indomitable spirit, this biographical essay is drawn with equal parts fascination and compassion.

They're all by Alan Bennett, of course, as that was the proposed theme. So please PM me two choices by end of day Friday 27 January and I'll post the winner over the weekend.

Posted by kennethw January 23, 09:21PM

My bad Susan, I was going to do that this week.

Posted by susan_ January 29, 08:40PM

Okay - the results are in:

Winner: The Clothes they Stood Up In (with 5 votes)
2nd: Uncommon Reader (4 votes)
3rd: Lady in the Van (3 votes)

See you all on Tuesday 21st Februarysmiling smiley

Posted by JenniferJ February 07, 08:47PM

Sorry for not voting. Just back from ski trip so will buy this tomorrow! See you on the 21st.
Jen x

Posted by susan_ February 07, 10:13PM

Hi everyone- just found out today that I have to be away for work the week of the 20th so I'm going to miss bookclub in February sad smiley

Posted by Red_Cat February 13, 04:39PM

O no that's a shame you can't make it Susan 😕.
I'm doing the list for next week, I'll put it up at the weekend.

messageRe: Tuesday Tipplers Book Club - newbies welcomeattachment
Posted by Red_Cat February 20, 10:37PM

Hi All,

Attached is the list for next month's book, based on the theme of Ireland in respect of St Patrick's day. PM me your vote if you cant make it tomorrow. Hopefully you can open the attachment, if not, I'll repost tomorrow morning.

Cat x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 20, 10:39pm by Red_Cat.

Attachments: Book list Feb 2017.docx (15.1KB)  
Posted by kennethw February 20, 10:40PM

Thanks Cat,

I won't be able to make it tomorrow, have a good evening everyone.

Posted by Red_Cat February 21, 07:08PM

I will be late as finished work late, be there about 8.30

Posted by Red_Cat February 22, 10:00PM

Our next meeting will be on 21st March and the winning book is The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien.

Ashley volunteered to do the next list, theme to be decided!

See you all next month.

Posted by LadyBird1977 February 23, 08:22AM

In celebration of April Fool's Day I've decided to go with a comedy theme.

I'll post the list before the next meet up.

See you all soon.

Posted by betsyr March 01, 10:14PM

Hi all, I would like to come along to the next meeting if it's still an open group? When is it and at what time please?

Betsy

Posted by Red_Cat March 01, 11:16PM

Hi Betsy yes you're welcome to join the group. We meet at the House of Tippler on Lordship Lane at 7.45 ish. Next meeting is 21st March and the book is The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien.
Hope you can make it.

Cat x

Posted by LadyBird1977 March 18, 10:49AM

Hi everyone,

Below is the book list for next month based on a comedy theme in celebration of April Fools' Day. If you can't make it on Tuesday PM me your votes and I'll bring them along for the final count.

See you then x

Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene
Wormold is a vacuum cleaner salesman in a city of power cuts. His adolescent daughter spends his money with a skill that amazes him, so when a mysterious Englishman offers him an extra income he's tempted. In return all he has to do is carry out a little espionage and file a few reports. But when his fake reports start coming true, things suddenly get more complicated and Havana becomes a threatening place.
"As comical, satirical, atmospherical an "entertainment" as he has given us" (Daily Telegraph)

Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes
Berlin, Summer 2011. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of open ground, alive and well. Things have changed - no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman.
People certainly recognise him, albeit as a flawless impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable happens, and the ranting Hitler goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own T.V. show, and people begin to listen. But the Führer has another programme with even greater ambition - to set the country he finds a shambles back to rights.
This uproariously funny satire will have you in stitches (Shortlist)

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
This is Ignatius J. Reilly of New Orleans, noble crusader against a world of dunces. The ordinary folk of New Orleans seem to think he is unhinged. Ignatius ignores them, heaving his vast bulk through the city's fleshpots in a noble crusade against vice, modernity and ignorance. But his momma has a nasty surprise in store for him: Ignatius must get a job. Undaunted, he uses his new-found employment to further his mission - and now he has a pirate costume and a hot-dog cart to do it with...
'A pungent work of slapstick, satire and intellectual incongruities ... it is nothing less than a grand comic fugue'
The New York Times

The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
A masterpiece of black humour from the renown comic and acclaimed author of ‘At Swim-Two-Birds’ – Flann O’Brien.
A thriller, a hilarious comic satire about an archetypal village police force, a surrealistic vision of eternity, the story of a tender, brief, unrequited love affair between a man and his bicycle, and a chilling fable of unending guilt, ‘The Third Policeman’ is comparable only to ‘Alice in Wonderland’ as an allegory of the absurd.
‘Flann O’Brien is inventive, his storytelling is swift and sure, making the eccentric seem natural and the commonplace hilarious.’ The Times

Wilt - Tom Sharpe
Henry Wilt, tied to a daft job and a domineering wife, has just been passed over for promotion yet again. Ahead of him at the Polytechnic stretch years of trying to thump literature into the heads of plasterers, joiners, butchers and the like. And things are no better at home where his massive wife, Eva, is given to boundless and unpredictable fits of enthusiasm - for transcendental meditation, yoga or the trampoline. But if Wilt can do nothing about his job, he realises he can do something about his wife - and as each day passes, his fantasies grow more murderous and more real.
"Superb farce ... If you don't laugh your head off, Crippen wasn't guilty" (Tribune)

Posted by Red_Cat March 21, 06:28PM

I'm not sure if I'll make it or not tonight so I'm going to pm my vote to Ashley just in case.

Posted by LadyBird1977 March 21, 10:25PM

Drum roll......... the winner is, Wilt - Tom Sharpe

We didn't agree a date for the next book club because we forgot, and also there were only two of us. Shall I suggest 11th April?

See you soon, Ashley xx

Posted by Red_Cat March 21, 10:41PM

11th is fine with me.
Sorry not to make it tonight.
Cat x

Posted by LadyBird1977 March 27, 12:40PM

Hello again,

I actually can't make the 11th April due to a work trip but that's ok, you guys go ahead and I'll join in May again.

I forgot to say Rhian is doing the book list for next month.

See you all soon, I hope that you enjoy Wilt smiling smiley

Ashley xx

Posted by susan_ March 27, 01:09PM

I'm unfortunately going to miss April due to a holiday, I'm going buy and read Wilt anyway!

Just an FYI that my attendance may be patchy for the next several months. My mom, while more stable and back home, is on a slow recovery. I will be spending a bit of time at my parents home to be an extra pair of hands (chief dog-walker too). No dates are fixed yet but I thought I'd mention it in advance

Susan

Posted by marlowe March 31, 02:46PM

Hi everyone,
I've decided to do a list on books that have been banned:

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
American Psycho is a novel that makes a statement about modern society. Patrick Bateman is a rich kid who works on Wall Street. Bateman spends his mornings at the gym and his nights clubbing with his friends. Everyone believes Bateman is a nice guy, the shy boy next door.

Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
Doctor Zhivago tells the story of Yury Zhivago, a man torn between his love for two women while caught in the tumultuous course of twentieth century Russian history. Yury's mother dies when he is still a young boy, and he is raised by his uncle Kolya. He enrolls at the university in Moscow, studying medicine.

Lady Chatterley's Lover - D. H. Lawrence
It tells the story of Clifford and Connie Chatterley and their sterile marriage, which ultimately leads her to have an affair with their gamekeeper, Mellors. The story takes place after the First World War and is set in England, in the heart of the industrialized Midlands.

Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
In a convoluted and disturbing string of events, a drug addict flees from the police. His journeys take him across the United States and down into Mexico and beyond. On his travels, he meets up with various members of the underground drug and homosexual cultures. Alongside the twisted narrative runs a counter story about the uses of mind control by governments and psychiatrists to manipulate, destroy and direct the masses. Told in lurid detail that disturbs and disgusts many readers, the novel presents a glimpse into the emerging counter cultures of the 1950s and gives interesting insights into how these forces effect the ongoing development of modern society.

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
One of the most controversial and acclaimed novels ever written, The Satanic Verses is Salman Rushdie's best-known and most galvanizing book. Set in a modern world filled with both mayhem and miracles, the story begins with a bang: the terrorist bombing of a London-bound jet in midflight.

See you on the 11th!
Rhian xx

Posted by LadyBird1977 April 01, 09:49AM

Great list! This one is going to be hard to choose smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed