Forum Sponsors

www.white-edge.co.uk
xxxx
www.lorenzophotography.co.uk

www.fdrlaw.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
messageRe: Tuesday Tipplers Book Club - newbies welcome
Posted by JenniferJ May 16, 07:14PM

Sorry. Not going to make it now either. Something has come up. Let us know when next one is and I'll really make an effort.
Jen x

Posted by Red_Cat May 16, 07:53PM

Is anyone planning on coming?

Posted by kennethw May 16, 07:58PM

I'm just leaving now. Will be about 15minutes.

Posted by Red_Cat May 16, 08:00PM

O good see you shortly!

Posted by kennethw May 16, 10:04PM

Hi everyone, we decided on 13 June for our next meeting, and Lady Chatterley's Lover for our next book.

Netflix currently have the version with Richard Madden (Rob Stark off Game of Thrones) as Mellors. #justsaying

Until then

Kenneth

Posted by LadyBird1977 May 17, 08:04AM

Thanks and sorry to have missed last night x

Posted by susan_ June 08, 12:47PM

I'm 90% through Lady Chatterly and I can't figure out whether I like it or not. Definitely looking forward to discussing it with everyone next Tuesday
smiling smiley

Posted by Red_Cat June 13, 06:54PM

I will be there tonight but a bit late as finished work late

Posted by susan_ June 13, 07:34PM

I've arrived early to have some food - staked out the front window

Posted by LadyBird1977 June 13, 07:42PM

On my way! smiling smiley I'll be eating too.

Posted by kennethw June 13, 10:45PM

Poor Lady Chatterley. Nobody seemed to think she caught fire, or was racey enough to merit a ban. I must get you to read some Anais Nin.........

I volunteered to do a list of political fiction for next meeting, which will be 11 July. Meet at 8 at House of Tippler.

Here's the list.

A very British Coup - Chris Mullin (226pp)

Former steel worker Harry Perkins, has, against all the odds, led the Labour Party to a stunning victory at the general election. His manifesto includes the removal of American bases, public control of finance, and the dismantling of the newspaper monopolies. The Establishment is appalled by the prospect, and secretly decides that something must be done. As M15 conspires with the city and the press barons, Perkins the PM finds himself in a no-holds-barred battle for survival.

House of Cards - Michael Dobbs (412pp)

Chief Whip Francis Urquhart has his hand on every secret in politics - and is willing to betray them all to become prime minister.

Mattie Storin is a tenacious young political correspondent. She faces the biggest challenge of her life when she stumbles upon a scandalous web of intrigue and financial corruption at the very highest levels. She is determined to reveal the truth, but she must risk everything to do so…

Head of State - Andrew Marr (385pp)

Two corpses. A country on the edge of a political precipice. A conspiracy so bold it would make Machiavelli wince. Andrew Marr’s debut novel imagines what really might be going on behind the door of 10 Downing Street.

When a young investigative reporter is found dead on the streets of London few people notice. But when another body – minus its head and hands – is washed up on the banks of the Thames, its grisly condition arouses a little more interest.

1984 - George Orwell (294 pp)

1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell's prophetic, nightmare vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. "1984" is still the great modern classic "negative Utopia" - a startling original and haunting novel that creates an imaginary world that is completely convincing from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny this novel's power, its hold on the imagination of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions - a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We (224pp)

Yevgeny Zamyatin's We is set in an urban glass city called OneState, regulated by spies and secret police. Citizens of the tyrannical OneState wear identical clothing and are distinguished only by the number assigned to them at birth. The story follows a man called D-503, who dangerously begins to veer from the 'norms' of society after meeting I-330, a woman who defies the rules. D-503 soon finds himself caught up in a secret plan to destroy OneState and liberate the city.

Posted by susan_ June 14, 08:42AM

Excellent list! I'm assuming a secret ballot so PMing you my two votes

Posted by sparklehorse June 14, 10:12PM

Great list! Will also PM my votes.

Posted by kennethw June 15, 10:27PM

Thanks for all the votes so far, Shall we say another 3 days, then I'll announce the winner?

Posted by Red_Cat June 16, 12:18AM

Yes ok, I'm intending to put mine in tomorrow. Good list, can't quite make my mind up

Posted by kennethw June 19, 10:15PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your votes. The secret ballot only needed 1 round and the winner was

A Very British Coup.

See you all on the 11th.

Kenneth

Posted by susan_ July 10, 12:20PM

I'm enjoying the coup - especially in light of current political climate ;)

Looking forward to discussing it with you all tomorrow evening - shall we try to get a table in the courtyard at the back if the weather holds?

Did someone volunteer to do a list for next month (I can't remember, so if it was me, somebody please remind me!)

Posted by Red_Cat July 10, 08:48PM

I can't remember who said they were doing the next list - just know it wasn't me!

would be nice to sit upside if the weathers still good.

Posted by LadyBird1977 July 11, 11:20AM

Oh gosh, it was me! And I can't make it tonight, sorry. For some reason I had next Tuesday in my diary....

I was going to go with a sunshine theme, I'll try and get a list together and out to you all asap.

Crazy busy at the moment, apologies xx

Posted by LadyBird1977 July 11, 12:20PM

Here it is! I had three already, just needed to ponder on another two books that make me feel the heat! smiling smiley One of these books is my favourite book of all time!

I can't make it tonight so PM me your votes and I'll announce the winner at the weekend. Have a good evening!

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
Set in Los Angeles in the early 1980's, this coolly mesmerizing novel is a raw, powerful portrait of a lost generation who have experienced sex, drugs, and disaffection at too early an age, in a world shaped by casual nihilism, passivity, and too much money a place devoid of feeling or hope. Clay comes home for Christmas vacation from his Eastern college and re-enters a landscape of limitless privilege and absolute moral entropy, where everyone drives Porches, dines at Spago, and snorts mountains of cocaine. He tries to renew feelings for his girlfriend, Blair, and for his best friend from high school, Julian, who is careering into hustling and heroin. Clay's holiday turns into a dizzying spiral of desperation that takes him through the relentless parties in glitzy mansions, seedy bars, and underground rock clubs and also into the seamy world of L.A. after dark.

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning - Laurie Lee
Abandoning the Cotswolds village that raised him, the young Laurie Lee walks to London. There he makes a living labouring and playing the violin. But, deciding to travel further a field and knowing only the Spanish phrase for 'Will you please give me a glass of water?', he heads for Spain. With just a blanket to sleep under and his trusty violin, he spends a year crossing Spain, from Vigo in the north to the southern coast. Only the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War puts an end to his extraordinary peregrinations . . .

The Island - Victoria Hislop
On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother’s past. But Sofia has never spoken of it. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, Sofia gives her daughter a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more.

The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson
Paul Kemp has moved from New York to the steamy heat of Puerto Rico to work at the Daily News. He starts hanging out at Al's Backyard, a local den selling booze and hamburgers to vagrant journalists who are mostly crazy drunks on the verge of quitting. Then he meets Yeamon, whose delectable girlfriend has Kemp stewing in his own lust. But the idle tension that builds up in places where men sweat twenty-four hours a day is reaching a violent breaking point.

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific.The crew of the surviving vessel consists of a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan, a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger and Pi - a 16-year-old Indian boy.The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary pieces of literary fiction of recent years. Yann Martel's Life of Pi is a transformative novel, a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound readers in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will, as one character puts it, make you believe in God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 11, 12:21pm by LadyBird1977.

Posted by susan_ July 11, 06:49PM

Hey all, I may be a little late arriving as I've not yet left the office.

Posted by kennethw July 11, 07:18PM

Hi, I'm coming along but I'll be there about 815.

Posted by marlowe July 11, 08:04PM

Hope people are going to turn up as I'm on my own at the moment!

Posted by kennethw July 11, 08:05PM

Am on my way.

Posted by gleonce July 12, 08:43AM

Hi All,

I'm hoping to join your next evening if there is room...you have some great choices and I look forward to meeting you all

Posted by overcaffeinated July 12, 10:03AM

I can't be there in August (we're away) so I won't vote but I'm hoping to be back in Sept!

Posted by susan_ July 12, 03:49PM

Hey everyone, we were five last night with a good discussion of the book followed by lots of comparisons to current politics and general commiserations and merriment.

We did do a secret ballot (2 votes each) which resulted in a three way tie; the run off ballot chose "Less than zero".

We also decided to meet on Wednesday 23 August (I know! A Wednesday! v controversial! but diaries in August were a nightmare!). I'm going to do a list for September- no theme as yet.

Gleonce- you're very welcome, just come along and look for us (usually in the front window and sometimes one of even has the book out to signpost us) 19:45 for 20:00 start

Posted by gleonce July 13, 09:39AM

Excellent, thank you. Look forward to meeting you all

Posted by susan_ August 23, 06:56AM

Hi everyone- I'm afraid bookclub sneaked up on me and I'm not ready! I'm really jet lagged (arrived home yesterday and not sure how I'll make it through the working day) so I'm not going to come out this evening. I'd be terrible company and might fall asleep in my tapas. I will try to do a list before bookclub time so you'll have something to choose for the next month.
Really sorry gang sad smiley

Posted by kennethw August 23, 07:55PM

Hello everyone,

I'm here, and up at the back, someone else is at the front.

Kenneth

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed