Volunteers please - Xmas Day/Boxing Day/NY Day

wobblybee

I am on the look out for volunteers please - on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day...

Tommo (a chaplain at Southwark Cathedral in his professional life) has been running festive lunches for years in the Forest Hill / Catford area.

They are for local elderly or vulnerable people who may otherwise be spending Christmas on their own and he relies on the help of volunteers to make sure they run smoothly. Volunteers find it a very rewarding and fun experience.

If you think you may be able to give up some time on any of the days, I'd be really grateful if you would let me know please, the shifts are approximately as follows:

7.30am - 10 am

10am - 2pm

12.30pm - 5pm

Tasks include food preparation, setting up tables, serving guests and most importantly chatting to the guests and making them feel welcome.

The lunches are being held in Forest Hill, SE23 - either at St Hilda's Church hall or St Saviour's (Brockley Rise).

Please let me know if you are able to help!

Thanks very much,

Alice

• 3 weeks later...

A BIG thank you to all EDF readers who have PM'd me and are helping out with these lunches. It is incredibly kind and public spirited of you.

I'm afraid this is another plea though as I still have a few gaps!

In particular, Boxing Day afternoon from 2pm and New Year's day from 2pm. Can anyone else spare a few hours on either of these days please?

Also there is an additional lunch on Saturday 13th December at Goldsmiths' Community Hall and I need 3 more volunteers if possible, it is an early start, 7am for one person and 9am for the other two...Can anyone help?

Thanks again,

Alice

The East Dulwich Forum readers have been amazing and I've received lots of offers to help via this site, thank you all so much.

I have one final plea....it is quite specific as we are short of a driver on New Year's Day to drive the minibus to collect the guests and drop them off home afterwards. I won't lie, it's a long day, but if anyone fancies kicking off 2015 in a different way and has experience driving a 16 seater or similar, it would be great if you could get in touch please.

Thanks all,

Alice

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I still need a driver for New Year's Day if anyone can help? I also need a minibus now as it has fallen through, just in case anyone knows an organisation that might be able to lend it for the day...?

Also just a note to people who have volunteered, the venue has changed to one in Bellingham Green on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. I have emailed everyone but wanted to post on here just in case any emails have gone astray as obviously I don't want anyone going to the wrong place.

Please get in touch if you are not sure of the venue address.

Thanks all,

Alice