French conversation, the French House, 16 February at 7.30

wool-e

Hi all,

I'm interested in starting/ joining an informal group, to have a coffee and a chat in French. Anyone interested? I've been in London 2 years and have found such a group surprisingly difficult to find. I've seen some similar posts on here in the past, but they didn't seem to go anywhere. Did anyone go to Boulangerie Jade before?

Just to emphasise, I'm not looking for any kind of tuition or to make any payment, just to enjoy an afternoon coffee and chat with some local French-speaking folk. My French is intermediate according to my last assessment, but I find it easy to talk (and gesticulate!) about any subject even if the grammar isn't great. I often go to Francophone countries and get by, and have a lot of email contact with French speakers. I hope some regular speaking will save me time on wordreference, wonderful as it is.

Unless anyone can tell me of an existing group, I think the best way forward is to see who is interested and when they are available, and arrange a one-off meeting, then take it from there. My timetable is very changeable for now, but many weekdays from 2pm onwards I'm free. If you're interested and can only make it at weekends, let me know and saturday could be an option.

A+

Salut wool-e,

I'll have some free weekday time during September, and could do with scraping some of the rust off my French conversation skills. I was fluent in the 90's when I lived in Wallonia, but lack of practice has dulled both my listening and speaking.

Jeudi prochain peut-?tre? Si vous voulez proposer l'un des caf?s du quartier :)

Salut peckham_ryu

Tr?s bien! J'ai une autre message de quelqu'un qui ne peut que faire les soirs et weekends- pouvez-vous faire le dimanche 6 sept. ? 15h, et je verifierai avec elle aussi? Je propose French caf?, 28 Forest Hill Rd., mais des autres suggestions des 100+ caf?s sont bienvenu!

- Edited as the other speaker couldn't do the saturday - sunday ?a va?

Ok, we're meeting this Thursday 3rd at 7pm in French cafe, Forest Hill Road. I'll have a copy of Le Monde with me (as entertainment if no one can make it!), so just turn up, or message beforehand. And if you can't make that time but are interested, let me know.

A bient?t.

p.s. - the internet says it closes at 5, but it's now open until 10. It serves food in the evening, but I checked and it's fine just to have coffee.

That's brilliant to hear more interest. We said last night that Thursday eve is a good time - but I don't have a free one until 15 October. Next time will be in the French House, 52 Lordship Lane. I'll send a reminder since it's ages away!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you, you are not the only embarrassed one!

The next is on 29th October at 7 pm, the French House. It is a lovely, warm place with friendly staff and table service, even checking that we were speaking French!

altessefitness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, when's the next meet? This is an awesome idea;

> I was born in Congo, was there up to the age of 6

> and to be honest it's embarrassing that my French

> is the way it is. Would be helpful for me to brush

> up away from family and gain some confidence

> engaging them in French.

• 2 weeks later...