'Make A Bake' East Dulwich Baking Group - Third Monday of each month

hollyt

Hello fellow bakers!

'Make a Bake' had our first meet up and it was a great success! Thank you so much to everyone who came along, everything tasted so good!!! As well as eating far too much and having some drinks, we chatted about the format for 'Make a Bake'.

We've decided to change the date to MONDAYS which works better for most people as that gives you Sunday to bake. The start time will be 7:45/8. We'll take it in turns to host (those that can).

We'll have a theme each month and take it in turns to bake sweet and savoury so we have a good balance of both. We divided everyone up into team A or B. Each time one team will do sweet and the other savoury and swap each time. If you're coming for the first time you can make either and then you can join a team when you first come.

The teams so far:

TEAM A - Holly, Mary, Laura, Susan, Farah, and Rachel.

TEAM B - Tash, Claudia, Odette, Ginny and Cath.

The themes, dates and hosts for the next three months are:

Monday September 21st

FRENCH

Host - Tash (overcaffeinated)

Monday October 19th

GUESS THE SURPRISE UNUSUAL INGREDIENT

Host - Odette(OD)

Monday November 16th

BAKES INSPIRED BY HOLIDAYS

Host - Ginny(Ginster)

Any questions, feel free to post!

Looking forward to seeing people in September :-)

Holly x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Please see attached invite, I know this is a bit cheeky but if you don't asks you don't get, would any of you be able to donate a cake to our coffee morning. This is my first public event and Beauty plus and Si Manga have kindly agreed to me using space outside their shops in Forest Hill Road, So I am hoping for a good turn out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello!

Thank you so much to everyone who came along this week to 'Make a Bake', it was a brilliant night :-)

We chatted about Christmas and decided we did want to have a baking get together. We will do it a week earlier though on Monday 14th December as 21st felt too close to the big day. The theme will be 'Bakes You Associate with Xmas'. Therefore they don't necessarily have to be traditional Christmas bakes but they could be a bizarre family tradition!

We also have an email address now, so please email us and we'll add you to our mailing list!

[email protected]

Our next Make a Bake is:

Monday October 19th?

GUESS THE SURPRISE UNUSUAL INGREDIENT?

Host - Odette(OD)?

Look forward to seeing you there!

Holly and Tash xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the original recipe I used for my sweet potato crackers.

And here's what I actually did: (It's a north American recipe so I converted some measurements to metric with the help of Mr Google)

188g all purpose flour

2.5 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt (actually I didn't add this as I used salty butter)

44g unsalted butter

200g cooked, mashed sweet potato (approximately one medium one)

1 teaspoon sugar

(I added some cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg but you really add whatever spices)

I peeled, cut up and steamed the sweet potato for 8-10 minutes. It mashed easily with a fork and I plopped in the butter while it was hot so it would melt and combine easily.

Then I added the dry ingredients and used my fork to mix it all until it was nearly a dough. I used my hands to knead it a couple times and then put it (wrapped in clingfilm) in the fridge for half an hour or so just to make it easier to work with.

I rolled it out in batches (using a little more flour for dusting) and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. You really must roll it very very thin so that the crackers get properly crisp. My first batch was too think and simply didn't dry out enough in the baking so ended up kind of chewy.

I baked them on parchment-lined cookie sheets at 175C for 10 minutes then flipped them over and baked for another 6 minutes. The aim is to get them crisp without going too brown. The pictures in the link show beautiful orange-y crackers almost like the goldfish crackers of my childhood, but I didn't watch mine closely enough so some of them discoloured from overbating.

Enjoy!