Volunteer at festive lunches - Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day

ekyv

Are you looking for something a little bit different to do this Christmas? Well look no further! I am on the lookout for volunteers on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day...

Tommo (a chaplain at Southwark Cathedral in his professional life) has been running festive

lunches for years in the Forest Hill / Catford area. They are for local elderly or vulnerable people who may otherwise be spending Christmas on their own and he relies on the help of volunteers to make sure they run smoothly.

The lunches will be held at Christchurch United Reformed Church in Bellingham and approximate shift timings are as follows:

7am - 11 am

10am - 2pm

1pm - 5pm

Tasks include food preparation, setting up tables, serving guests and most importantly chatting to

the guests and making them feel welcome. In particular, we are desperate for two minibus drivers on each day to bring guests to the lunches and take them home at the end of the day. Minibuses are provided!

If you think you may be able to give up some time on any of the days, I'd be really grateful if you could let me know, all the volunteers find it a very rewarding and fun experience.

Many thanks

Ellie

To anyone thinking of doing this I did it today and it was a great experience and I have now signed up for New Year's Day. It is run by a great group of friendly people and the people that attend it was an honour to be able to help and also to spend some time with them and give them some company. X

pommie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strawbs I'm still waiting to hear about how I can

> help as I could probably help on new years day

Hi, they seem to run it in 3 shifts, I don't know what the early one is but the others are 10-2 and 1-5. It is a mix of keeping people company and then serving lunch and clearing up when they are finished. When I was there they then played bingo and you can help them with that. I have gone and bought a stack of things to donate as bingo prizes for New Year's Day. I do have an email address of the op that I am happy to pm you if you like.