New farmers market for Dulwich Village

LFM

Hello everyone,

We're very excited to be bringing a new weekly farmers market to Dulwich Village, every Saturday from 18th June. Find us at Dulwich Church of England Infants? School.

The editor of Dulwich OnView has asked us a perfectly wonderful question;

Why will the market be perfect for Dulwich and how will locals benefit from it?

We?ve been running farmers markets since 1999. We?ve seen how they benefit farmers and London communities alike. The Dulwich Village farmers market will provide a community hub, a place to shop, to meet, to greet, to taste, to swap recipes every Saturday. A space where we can host family days, cooking events, Punch and Judy shows, where local groups can showcase their events, from open garden days to music festivals. A place where children can explore, ask questions, try juice and salad leaves, talk to farmers, find out where their food comes from, what?s in season, what tastes good.

We will be bringing a wonderful group of farmers, fishermen, bakers, plant and flower growers, cheese makers, pie makers, and more. We?ll be including some locally based producers too. We like to think that the Dulwich Village Farmers Market will become the place to be every Saturday, everyone in the area is welcome, just leave your dogs outside please or carry them!

Because the market will be open every Saturday, the Dulwich community has a chance to shop every Saturday, and spend money in other local shops, restaurants and cafes after the market. We know from other markets that when the market is busy, local shops are busy too and that?s great for the local economy.

We want to see both the market and local shops and cafes thriving.

Some stalls accept card payments.

The full list of stalls is growing; see the market page on our website for more details http://www.lfm.org.uk/markets/dulwich_village/

The market;

Every Saturday 10am-2pm

Dulwich Village C of E Infants' School

Dulwich Village

London

SE21 7AL

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Dulwich-Farmers-Market-1705797923025609/

Twitter

well aren't you excited !!!

I have a perfectly wonderful question for you -

Why does this market not open until 10am ?

Why would you think anyone other than parents with children at the school/s would necessarily know each other ?

Why does this intro sound so patronising, do you believe we city dwellers have never seen a cow or field of corn or know where eggs come from?

We already have over this side of Dulwich, the forum of which you came on purely to advertise your market - the consistently excellent Brockley farmers market and Horniman FM with one of the best views in London as backdrop.

And our children have tasted salad leaves

And we have Riverford and Abel and Cole

We will probably come to check you out

if there is parking

but it had better be good

The no dogs rule runs across all of our markets that take place at school playgrounds and is something we're asked to do. Blackheath is a car park. The Dulwich Village site is a school playground. Sorry if this is an inconvenience.

Hi Robert,

Yes we're very aware of this, and will be monitoring the market and keeping an eye on noise and cooking smells. The market isn't overlooked by any dwellings but we will always work with local councillors/local people over any concerns that may be raised. There is a method statement and design and access plan in operation, and you can comment on the planning application on the Southwark website.

The LFM organise amazing markets and we're delighted they're coming to Dulwich, this is fantastic news as the village has very little in terms of food available. This will help the local economy and provide a place for the community to meet up too. The food will be coming fresh from farms that LFM have checked out first. We'll be walking to the market - check out the railings outside the playground to tie up dogs!

I'm not sure - to me it seems one too many and designed to muscle in on the success of the established weekly markets in ED (N Cross Rd), West Dulwich (Sat, I believe genuinely run by local traders) and Herne Hill (Sun, run by a different farmer's market organisation), not to mention Brixton.

HH in particular has been hugely successful and works in that location because it's already a commercial area and other local businesses form the backdrop. Unlike HH, in DV the existing cafes are not close enough to benefit from visitors and may even lose trade on one of their busiest days.

The proposed site in DV is completely different and likely to cause a nuisance for local residents and road users close to what is already a dangerous junction, and for the hotel when it reopens 100 yards round the corner. Really surprised there was no consultation or testing in advance.

Sorry to sound sceptical but most of the traders at these things never seem to be 'farmers', either.

Going tomorrow & intrigued to see what's on offer. Looked at their website & they seem genuine enough to me- I think Dulwich Village area needs something like this actually rather than chains of shops.

Well, I went along on SAturday and it was great. Very good value meat and fish especially. I bought some very nice Kentish blue cheese, half a leg of spring lamb, some fish and some apples. There were lots of stalls I din't buy from - bread, veg, etc etc etc. I think its an excellent addition to the shops already available, certainly foodwise. North Cross Road market is hardly under threat by it. For me, its way too busy and in the 15 years I've used the Lane I've found it less and less useful shopping-wise. I don't enjoy the queues and I have a limited need for lampshades and fancy goods...

Give it a go and don't take the car.

Under Class B of Part 4 of the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 1995 a market can take place for 14 weeks (or 14 markets) before planning is needed.