social cycle ride 9.30am Saturday April 29th

From the Cutty Sark to Cody Dock via Woolwich (and back)

this is one of the monthly "+" Rides starting at 9.30am and returning for 1pm. It's a sort of stretching exercise for those who want to go that bit further and see more of London than can be cycled in the usual 120mins.

Next unusual thing is the start line. The ride starts at the Cutty Sark,in Greenwich, meeting 9.30 beside the Foot Tunnel entrance. Anyone who feels they can't get there by themselves but still wants to go should meet Bruce outside Canada Water library at 9am (it's all getting earlier and earlier, you notice) and he will lead you down.

But what is Cody Dock, I hear you cry. I searched the internet so you don't have to. Whatever it is, it has a Facebook page which says "We are transforming a derelict dock into a creative quarter with community gardens and footpaths that will open up the Lower Lea River for everyone". Also, I discover, Cody Dock is on the north side of the river in the Lower Lea Valley in East London.

The route goes along the Thames Path to the Woolwich Ferry. Take the ferry to the other side and then ride over the George and Albert Docks alongside City Airport. Cut through the University under Cypress station and up through Becton Park then pick up the Greenway to Three Mills and down to Cody Dock via the new bridge at Bow Locks. Back along the Limehouse Cut, Thames Path Northside round the Isle of Dogs, and the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

More info on Cody Dock is here: http://www.gasworksdock.org.uk but don't ask me why it's got a street address in Canning Town. The leader is Amanda. You can text Bruce on 07729 279 945