by Bell House

?10

Charles I: King and Collector

Thu 24 May 2018, 19:30 ? 21:00

?10

TICKETS

Event Information

DESCRIPTION

We continue our series of art history lectures about major exhibitions in London with Graham Greenfield, who started by studying Architecture before changing to Fine Art. He has worked in a variety of museums, and has lectured at Tate, Courtauld Institute of Art, the V&A, Dulwich Picture Gallery, and on almost every exhibition at the Royal Academy since 1994.

King Charles I amassed one of the most extraordinary art collections of his age, acquiring works by some of the finest artists of the past ? Titian, Mantegna, Holbein, D?rer ? and commissioning leading contemporary artists such as Van Dyck and Rubens. Yet, following the King?s execution in 1649, his collection was sold off and scattered across Europe. While many works were retrieved by Charles II, others now form the core of museums such as the Louvre and the Prado.

Charles I: King and Collector reunites the greatest masterpieces of this magnificent collection for the first time. Celebrating its breadth and grandeur, it includes over 100 works of art, ranging from classical sculptures to Baroque paintings, from exquisite miniatures to monumental tapestries. The exhibition demonstrates the radical impact they had at the time, and sheds light on how they fostered a vibrant visual culture that was hitherto unknown in England.

Tickets include a glass of wine

Tickets available at bellhouse.co.uk/events