Totally FREE! E' Dul Cycle Rides: Sundays 9-30am London Pks & Blue Plaques short rides: Dates TBC

We are back for Spring, Summer & Autumn

Fancy an easy going Sunday morning ride with a coffee and croissant?

These are easy going cycle rides everyother Sunday, on Bromptons, mountain bikes, or even 3-wheelers!

This project started yonks and yonks ago and has achieved locations such as Hyde Park, Regents Park, and even the 'Jack the Ripper' tour ride. The average ride is c.6-miles at an easy peasy pace, then stop for a tea / coffee and croissant. The great part is that you will be back home for lunch time :))

When, Where & What else?

* Meet for 9-30am

* At the Texaco garage at Goose Green

* Wear high vis jacket, helmet, no red light jumping - cash for a tea / coffee etc..

Fun factor: 87.4%

Calories burnt: c.500 ~ 600 calories

What do I need to do?

Register your interest on this thread - it couldn't be easier!

2013: London Parks & Places

* 2014...... - Where? You decide :-)

* 14th April - Battersea Park

* 28th April - Spitlefields: Towerbridge, Bricklane and more....

* 12th May - Hyde Park and back via Chelsea

* 26th May - Blue Plaques

* 9th June - Southwark Park and four Blue Plaques

* 23rd June - Greenwich / Cutty Sark and three Blue Plaques

* 7th July - Regents Park

* 15th Sept - St James Park

Project London Health

Good question!

Actually, we head down through Bellingdon Road then we have a choice of 3 directions:

1. Left and through Camberwell, Vauxhall, Victoria into the West End / Hyde Park / Regents Park etc...

2. Right and under Peckham Library and then along the old Surrey Canal taking us up to Tower Bridge, and finally...

3. Right head out towards New Cross, Greenwich.

We did the London Marathone route which is clearly greater than 6 / 12 miles, it was a great experience and quicker than running.

The Surrey Canal route is a great way into Whitechapel and on to the 'Jack the Ripper' route. There is so much on your doorstep just waiting to be seen, and then of course there is the latt? and croissant time :)-D

McCabe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all,

The first ride of the short easy peasy rides start this Sunday 6th Nov at 10am, by the Texaco garage in Goose Green. The first ride is going to be a really short distance to Battersea Park, then pull up for tea / coffee and a good old croissant!

I'll have you all back for noon.... I have to head back for my birthday lunch :-) This time last year we did the 'Jack the Ripper Tour' in and around White Chapel.

Easy Peasy Short Ride to Battersea Park

Time: 10am

Meet at: Goose Green Texaco Garage

Distance: c.5-miles

Calories: c.200 calories!

Fun: 87.4%!

McCabe.

'Jack the Ripper' trail

The next easy going ride is on Sunday 20th November, and will retrace the steps of 'Jack the Ripper' around the area of Whitechapel. We first did this last year on 7th November (interestingly, thats my birthday :)-D ), it was great fun and an easy ride with a stop for coffee and cake at Spitalfields!

Route

* Bellingdon Road, through to Peckham Library

* Taking the old 'Surrey Canal' from the library up to South of Tower Bridge (this cuts out many busy roads)

* Over Tower Bridge then take a right heading East along 'The Highway' for just under a mile, then........

* We take a left and that where tour begins!

I will have you back for 1pm, its less than an hour each way with an hour + bit for the tour and brunch :-)

* Mostly a flat ride

* great sites to see such as Tower Bridge and the Tower or London

* an opportunity to ride through Bricklane and experience Spitalfields

* Completely FREE, bring some change for a coffee and a croissant, and one for the organiser... me :))

McCabe

Back from Italy...

This Sunday will be a flat ride with interest ..... following the trail of 'Jack the Ripper', touring the haunted streets of whitechapel, in the sinister showdows of the 'Rippers' victims. Also, cake and coffee too at Spitalfields Market :))

Come and meet at the Texaco garage in E'Dulwich this Sunday for 10am. If you can, wearing high vis means that drivers see you before you see them.

If you are interested, please comment on this thread to keep it up!

Best,

McCabe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hope the man-flu has passed! Happy New Year.

Are you planning to start the Sunday rides again, I'd be up for some of the longer ones,

although not next weekend, should be free after that.

Still not got that road bike! Santa let me down.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Are you and the family up for the 5Km & 3Km tomorrow? It would be great to catch up after such a long break over Winter.

Proposing either Sunday 19th or 26th Feb. I'll combine the two groups and start at Goose Green for 10am, lets say one of the parks for a coffee: Southwark, Battersea, Hyde Park, Regents Park. After a few rides we can then head back to the two groups, easy rides at 10am, and the longer hill challenging rides at 9am from the Dulwich Toll Gate.

I have to say that on reflection it was such a good idea to have a winter break.

Best!

McC

I'm interested in these cycle rides. Are pregnant women allowed to join? I currently go riding with my family on the weekends and can last about 10 miles altogether. Oh and I can just about manage to go up Dog Kennel Hill, but vveeeerrryyy slowly!

Hi to all,

The start date will be on Sunday 19th Feb, 10am, meeting at the Texaco Garage in Goose Green. Until Summer, these will be everyother Sunday allowing everyone to have a life in between. With the combined group we have had upto 16, but typically 8 or so.

Distance & Pace

The first 3 will be short, to Battersea Park, Southwark Park and Hyde Park. These are about 5-miles tops, then stop for a coffee and toast / croissants to make it a focus, then head back and in doors by midday.

We will ride at c.8 ~ 10MPH, this is an easy peasy pace for all ages and abilities. Once the group has grown, we can then resume back to last years structure with two groups, the shorter easy rides and the longer harder ones :-)

H&S

I encourage wearing a bright jacket to be seen by other road users but is not compulsory, also British Cycling have a good insurance scheme...

Oh yes,

If you are pregnant and happy to ride and do so anyway, I'm good with that. The good news is that we avoid hills, so we head down Bellingdon Road and take a left to Camberwell, upto and over Vauxhall bridge, then take a left along the North side of the Thames then back over the river and into the park.... The park has a great caf?...

Best!

M