How to escape the East Dulwich Forum

wavyline girl

Step one is to post a big flouncy message - right at the top of the general issues section - for all to see. You've got this covered so that's a good start.

Next, you can either:

- quietly send a PM to admin and ask them to unsubscribe you

Or

- just stop posting in the bits you can't be arsed with and use it for buying and selling.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

I thought I have written to the admin people before, but I don't think I got a response.

Surely I am entitled to have my details removed from the site, if I request it?

I will try again.

Thanks I do appreciate any constructive advice

(? and not the smug, snide,caustic mean spirited variety,which is exactly the reason I dislike this site so much!)

wavyline girl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely I am entitled to have my details removed

> from the site, if I request it?

What details?

I suspect your name isn't actually Wavyline girl, and unless you're a complete muppet (which I am sure you're not) I doubt you've shared your DOB, address or credit card numbers, so what's to be removed other than things that you have typed and chosen to put on a public domain?

Admin can deactivate your account, so if people click on your name it will say "this poster no longer exists or something like that, but they're not going to go back and manually delete every post you've made.

I think we should be allowed to leave (I don't want to). For people who wish to leave I think their posts should delete or at least become anonymous. They are searchable on the Internet. This site is closed to posts but not to reading.

As Siduhe says, you can edit anything you've previously written, but why should admin (unpaid volunteers) waste their time doing that.

I am not certain, but I think it would mean them having to do it post by post rather than having a "delete all posts by joe blogs" button.

As I understand it, the software the forum runs on doesn't allow for anything other than entire deletion of threads that user has been involved in as part of a deactivation. So everyone loses out because one person doesn't want their posts to survive. It's fairly old software and this forum is managed by a group of volunteers who I would guess have plenty of other things to do. If someone feels that strongly, the option exists to go back and edit.

So not an outrageous request at all, but not very practical for here I would guess.

Sounds to me like the original poster just wants to unsubscribe ie not receive emails from EDF any more. Isn't the best way to do that to go to My Control Centre/show followed threads and uncheck anything there? Works for me!

I think if she was planning to do that she wouldn't have approached it in this way. Personally I sympathise with her and I find it understandable that someone could want to remove their presence completely. Most of the threads are pretty ephemeral anyway so I don't see that it would ruin things for other users. Who knows, might even encourage better manners in some. I know that some of the longtime users don't like people to use the word bullying, but if you ridicule, criticise or attack someone repeatedly, especially when you carry it on after the original disagreement or into another thread, that's what it is by normal standards.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having had a look at wavyline girl's comment re

> the skateboard incident, it seems to me that she

> was justified in being annoyed. I don't know why

> certain people are being unkind to her on this

> thread

If you mean me, I wasn't having a go about the skate board thing, was just asking if that had been the trigger.

Other than that all I've done is try to explain what admin can and can't do (as far as I know - I don't claim to know the exact capabilities of this software).

I don't think there has been anything "unkind".