Forum Sponsors

007Handyman
xxxx
www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 40
messageRe: Ask Admin
Posted by Ladymuck 19 March, 2010 12:36

mockney piers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the plugin for lordmuck to use...

Well how kind, not to mention thoughtful. Thank you Mr. Piers from Lord and Lady Muck. xx

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 19 March, 2010 13:45

I shall read with interest. I read many US blogs and literature and some of their usage drives me mad. Took me eons to work out what cilantro was!

Posted by Ladymuck 19 March, 2010 15:09

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
Took me eons to work out what cilantro was!

Oh I could have told you that...why, it's a variety of coriander...I grow it every year...it's delicious!big grin

Posted by Horsebox 21 March, 2010 18:07

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
> I shall read with interest. I read many US blogs
> and literature and some of their usage drives me
> mad. Took me eons to work out what cilantro was!

You couldn't have just googled it?

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 21 March, 2010 18:38

Of course I did - allow me a little poetic frustration.

Posted by Horsebox 21 March, 2010 18:55

Poetic frustration allowed, PGC. I was just a little surprised that somebody of your calibre, standing and intellect might be troubled for so long over a pesky herb.

I am somewhat relieved at your response.

Posted by Narnia 28 March, 2010 19:22

Administrator Wrote:
> Hi
>
> It is preferred that people attach photos to posts
> rather than embed them into messages as that
> facility tends to get abused. What I have done is
> change the text above the text editing box from
> "Attach a file ..." to "Attach a file or photo
> ..." to make it a bit clearer for those who
> struggle.
>
> What other tips would be in the How to section?
> Tips on "everything" is a bit of a broad subject.

How do you define abuse Admin? There's a spate of posts with pictures at the moment, some may be funny but mostly not. In a forum where the written word is the point of it, can you cut down on these please?

Posted by Administrator 29 March, 2010 11:51

Photo embedding abuse means people posting exceptionally large photos or oversized photos that take up disk space.

Sorry, I cannot cut down on people posting photos that you do not find funny however you can turn images off in your browser, to find out how look in the help section of your browser or search Google.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by mockney piers 29 March, 2010 12:48

There might be a firefox extension that blocks downloads of oversized photos, or maybe a greasemonkey script that resizes them to a more reasonablely rendered size.

I'll have a look to see if there's anything useful.

But I agree with admin that there probably isn't one that stops unfunny links/pictures.

Posted by Narnia 29 March, 2010 14:38

Administrator Wrote:
> Photo embedding abuse means people posting
> exceptionally large photos or oversized photos
> that take up disk space.
>
> Sorry, I cannot cut down on people posting photos
> that you do not find funny however you can turn
> images off in your browser, to find out how look
> in the help section of your browser or search
> Google.

Now you have explained what you meant by abuse I realise my request was based on ignorance.

Posted by Narnia 01 April, 2010 19:09

I'm not sure what the problem is Admin but every time I come out of the EDF I'm being asked to log in again with username/password as if I were on a different computer. Can you advise what the problem might be? I'm also getting random pages on internet explorer opening whilst I use AOL and this hasn't happened before. I suspect the problems are related but I don't know the solution.

Posted by Administrator 01 April, 2010 19:29

Turn your computer off and then on again, does the problem still happen?
Which random pages of the internet are you seeing? Anything interesting? Anything naughty?
Do you have a wheatgerm intolerance?
Have you seen Avatar 3D recently?

OK, I think might be a cookie setting in IE. Turn it to accept cookie sessions. And make sure your Internet Security software e.g. Norton is set to accept cookies. And get plenty of rest.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Narnia 01 April, 2010 21:08

I must really annoy you Admin! I thought I was sarcastic but I'm no match for you.

Posted by Narnia 01 April, 2010 21:29

Given you last two responses to queries of mine have been sarcastic Admin, do you wish to get anything off your chest that's bothering you? It would make it a lot easier if you gave straight answers than one's that may be misconstrued. It's your forum. If you would personally like me to piss off I'll be happy too as I wouldn't want to outstay my welcome.Please advise.

Night.

Declan

Posted by Administrator 01 April, 2010 22:26

There was no intention to upset you with those messages.

With the first one I explained what I meant by the photo embedding facility tending to get abused. I also explained how to turn off the images on your browser and gave you a link to instructions. No sarcasm there.

The second one was slightly sarcastic because you are asking me what is wrong with your computer "I'm also getting random pages on internet explorer opening whilst I use AOL" and I am not your AOL technical support however I did provide you with a straight answer. Here is an article about enabling cookies in Internet Explorer.

Do I want you to "personally piss off" off? No, and I find it quite obscure that you have read into my answers that you think I would like you to piss off. I have provided you with answers, and subsequent links to back up those answers in an effort to help you. As I have said to you before, sometimes doing someone a favour can be a right pain in the bum.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Narnia 02 April, 2010 07:51

Quote:
Sorry, I cannot cut down on people posting photos that you do not find funny

If this isn't sarcastic I don't understand sarcasm.

Regarding the second request of mine for advice I should have made it clear that AOL is not my ISP,just the route I use to access the internet, send emails and log on to the forum etc. I did not know if the problem I had with the latter was a forum related issue or my problem. I wouldn't dream of asking you to help me fix my computer. A simple response that it wasn't a forum issue would have sufficed.

I hope this will clarify what I meant to say and your bum gets better.

Posted by Administrator 02 April, 2010 09:33

It does not matter if AOL is you ISP.

Check to see if your cookies are enabled

I do not know if it is a forum issue, you are the only users who has reported this so therefore I am trying to find out if it is a problem with your computer first.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 04 April, 2010 21:22

Just testing - my posts won't appear in the 'for sale' section.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 04 April, 2010 21:23

Well that's bloody weird.

Posted by sophiesofa 05 April, 2010 19:39

did you have a banned word in it such as b*mp?

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 05 April, 2010 20:29

Nope. Though I was about to be v. sarcastic so probably just as well!

Posted by sophiesofa 07 April, 2010 12:03

Mines not really an ask admin but seemed silly to start a new thread when you check this one. I was just looking at the forum sponsors section and www.orcalocaldulwich.co.uk when clicked on adds an extra k onto the end of the address so the website is not found. I just took the k off the end and it worked but some people might not realise and assume the orcal website is down. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:04:07:12:03:50 by sophiesofa.

Posted by Administrator 07 April, 2010 13:41

Thank you for pointing that out sopiesofa, it has now been fixed.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Ladymuck 14 April, 2010 00:06

Hello Admin,

I notice that a particular forumite has completely vanished without trace. I.e. even that poster's previous posts have disappeared - which makes the threads which previously contained them appear a little nonsensical in places. On attempting a search: BLANK! I.e. no message in red informing me that this poster had been "deactivated". It's as though they were never here...

Is this a new "thing"? In days of old, if e.g. a poster received a ban (which, I presume, is what has happened), their previous posts remained for posterity - not anymore it seems. Am I imagining things?

Posted by Keef 14 April, 2010 07:54

I'd be interested in this. Have no idea who the person is, but when I asked if it was possible to close an account and have all your posts removed, I was told no.

Is it possible to remove someone altogether (not in real life obviously, as that would be a bit hardcore).

Posted by mockney piers 14 April, 2010 08:14

I'm pretty sure the answer is still no Keef, and I think it makes sense to keep them (I'm pretty sure it would be a simple SQL statement if it HAD to be done).
I imagine one of two things has happened, either a banned person has come back in another guise and a flurry of posts were manly deleted along with his/her account, or someone has changed their name making it look like their posts have gone.

If ladymuck is referring to Declan then that would certainly be the case.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 14 April, 2010 08:38

Could be Declan, could be legaleaglish. They have both had changes of late - both are definitely still around

Posted by legalbeagle 14 April, 2010 09:47

I'm pretty sure this is a reference to Swagger who was on the "Whistle while you work" thread that I started, and who has completely disappeared - all of his posts are gone. I did ask him if he was big bad wolf, because I recognised his tone, as did quids. I've asked admin on that thread but no reply yet. just for the record I didnt find anything he said offensive on that thread, but that might not be why he's disappeared of course.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 14 April, 2010 09:57

ah - if that's the case then

this might explain any sudden actions

Posted by HAL9000 14 April, 2010 10:52

Reading between the lines here - it looks like someone has written a "Kill on Sight" script to deal with this contingency without having to trawl through the archives looking for potentially offensive material.

In other words, Mockney has been replaced by a computer!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 40

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum