Is anyone else finding the forum slow at the moment?

Sue

I can't pinpoint when it started, but the last couple of days it seems to be very slow to load and to change threads.

As I recently changed broadband providers I can't be sure it's not something to do with that, but other websites seem to be mostly OK.

I've tried in two different browsers, Firefox and Opera, and it seems very slow in both.

Is it just me? (If so, I advise you not to move to Plusnet :)) )

Investigating more closely, the forum is deffo slower than other sites I'm on.

Taking forever to load pages. Glad it's not just me.

Admin, could this be anything to do with whatever happened when the forum was down the other day?

As James Barber has pointed out on another thread, broadband speeds could be generally slower because of the numbers of people working from home and off school at the moment, but the forum is not just a bit slower loading, it's really really really slow :-S

Electrical resistance in metallic conductors tends to decrease with temperature - if it gets a lot colder they may start superconducting (but don't hold your breath).

However, very cold, dry air tends to sustain greater potentials of static electricity that could compromise the dielectric coefficient of insulators.

On balance ? it?s probably a case of swings and roundabouts. I haven't noticed any slow down, by the way.

Arrrrrggggghhh, the frustration of it...here is a "cut and paste of the precise message I am getting":

The connection has timed out

The server at www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not supported. Error processing resource 'http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,243972,581209,page=254'. Line 2, Position 17

If it helps, I'm also finding page reloads much slower this week than before (by about 7-9 secs). I thought it might have been traffic increase given the forum is doing a great job of advising on the local travel than the tfl website. But its also happening on off peak hours (1am for example). Still ok though just a tad slower....

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

In the last week there have been 645,000 page views to 25,000 visitors which is lot for the server to cope with. We can't afford to upgrade the server so it is going to be a bit slow for some of you, but I will do an upgrade again on the server later to see if that makes a difference.

For the techies:

Webmin tells me Package updates: 120 package updates are available

Webmin version 1.550 is now available, but you are running version 1.520.

If anyone is a server wizard and wants to offer their assistance in speeding it them please contact me.

Admin, many thanks.

Maybe we should all think about a little donation, especially those of us that use the forum regularly. I have to admit, I think I should pay up a bit more than I have to date.

Anyone that agrees - see the 'Donate' link at the bottom of the page.