The truth that can't be spoken.....

????

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but the opening statement... it is basically true

>

> I can have a good time in most of them, but

> food-wise it's so-so

Are you including Coriander there too, Sean? If anyone can recommend a better local curry house, I'd like to hear it.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Try the Babur in brockley or the 3 monkeys at

> herne hill.

> I'll bet you ???? they are better, but somewhat

> more expensive.

3 Monkeys is the curry equivalent of Chopsticks - bland food, hideously overpriced. Babur used to be excellent but has gone seriously downhill over the last 5 years or so.

carter39 Wrote:

> Are you including Coriander there too, Sean? If

> anyone can recommend a better local curry house,

> I'd like to hear it.

I think Curry must be in the eye of the beholder - Coriander is my least fave of the curry houses round here - very oily, the time I went.

Like a drunken uncle who keeps turning-up at parties and repeating himself.. here I am!

Why do people drink Budweiser?

Why would anyone buy a car with a spoiler on it?

Why don't most people know how to cook rice properly?

These and the interminable proliferation of mediocre 'curry houses' on Lordship Lane are just some of those little mysteries in life as yet unexplained.

Have had 2 meals from Coriander, first was great, second was horrid. Agree about the places on LL, Ganapati is far superior in every way. Keep meaning to take bob's advise and go over to Tooting for a meal soon.

My friend wot's just had a baby was advised by some weird pregnancy guru to eat a tablespoon of ghee twice a day in the last month. It looked and tasted absolutely foul - not dissimilar to Swarfega. After a few days of rinsing the spoon in the sink it became blocked. I've only just got over my curry phobia and this is making me feel sick again.

Went out for meal last night - new Italian place.

Oh yeah? - what was it like?

Yeah.. alright.. not too salty.

Saw that film last night.

Oh yeah? - what was it like?

Yeah.. alright.. not too long.

Went to that new nightclub last night.

Oh yeah? What was it like?

Yeah.. alright.. not too loud.

They're all much of a muchness, with variations in quality principally around what specific dish you ordered, or just a bit of good or bad luck on the night. Tandoori Nights was always the exception - being two cuts above.

Anyone who disagrees with this is clearly too oily.

I would say Tandoori Nights is an Indian Restaurant wile the others are Curry Houses.

Incidentally I had a very good take out from Coriander on Saturday.

Does Ganapati deliver and if so why isn?t there one of their menus in the plastic folder in the second drawer of the dresser in the hallway?

So.. 16 restaurants which all serve much-of-a-muchness food on one short stretch of high street?

Aren't we blessed!

I was told a delivery service from Ganapati was on the way, but I don't think it's materialised yet. It is (as others say) the only decent place to eat within so many miles. But (having no competition) it's very expensive. The last time we ordered a takeaway for two it was over ?25. I don't mind paying that to eat in the restaurant, but it seems a little extravagant for a takeaway. And I'm finding the menu a little limited now.

If we had a MIRCH on LL it would be curtains for half the others.

I'll still pay a premium to any Chinese or Indian that will offer free range (or 'organic') chicken meals. Coriander, Mr Liu etc have all told me they have no intention of offering that option. Tandoori Nights might be the only Chinese/Indian on LL that does, and even that is only hearsay - can anyone confirm?

Even Mirch Masala seems to have gone downhill since they expanded and made it look a bit nicer

The curry houses on LL serve their purpose - if you are out and decide you want a curry, there you go. If you are deciding to go out for a curry (and you don't mind driving 15-20 minutes), there are many better choices. Especially if you actually want to eat Pakistani or Gujarati or Sri Lankan food, rather than UK curry classics cooked by Bangladeshis.