Photography enthusiasts. Wednesday 4th April, Clerkenwell

mockney piers

:( was hoping to come along to one of these meet ups - after getting a digital camera for christmas have really enjoyed taking more pictures, but I've got a double whammy - broken computer so still got my cornwall holiday pics on my memory card, and - more importantly - i broke a toe yesterday so currently hobbling along... after Kathryn's fingers maybe there's a curse on trying to attend?!!

It certainly isn't the easiest pub to find, as it's in a very narrow alley just on your right as you head north up Hatton Gardens, or just on your left of the road immediately to the east of Hatton Gardens if (like me) you're coming from Farringdon!

I'm pretty flexible Mockers, quite happy to leave Clerkenwell for later. Still got a bit of that cursed cold. Not enough to prevent a beer of course, but would welcome starting chez Crackers Grove to put warm clothing on.

See what Crystal Says?

Hi All,

Considering shelling our some hard-earned on an SLR. Pretty new to this gig but keen to learn. Currently considering either a Canon 30D or Sony a100. Any views on these or advice on where to get them at the best price?

Mockers uses a 30D, but I'm sure he could tell you all about that!

A good new entry level DSLR is the new Canon 400D (all reasonable bells and whistles are included in the full kit). I use it's pre-precursor the 300D which takes great photos still! 'Which' recommends you buy the 350D which is ?150 cheaper and they feel it's better all round. Those are the ones to compare directly with the a100

The 30D's twice the price, and likely to be superceded by 40D later in the year so prices might drop (and I'll get one then!)

I'm not personally familiar with the Sony a100, but Which is pretty firm that it's behind the Canon and the Nikon D50

If you like the idea of buying from a shop (so you can return if there are any problems), Jessops can usually be persuaded to come pretty close to a price match with prices you can find online if you take the print out in.

I normally get my stuff online and best price / reliability rules. Amazon's pretty good.

I bought a 400D at Christmas and and very pleased with it but I've always been a Canon fan, you can see a picture taken with it here. I second Hugeunot's comments about the 30D, wait for the 40D instead if you can. Also Canon are doing a cashback on various products at the moment http://www.canon-europe.com/2007promotions with ?55 back on the 400D

For buying kit, I find that http://www.warehouseexpress.com is good on service and price (I bought mine through them) and have a read of the magazines, my personal favourite is Digital Photo

Yes I do have it and have been extremely happy with it.

The 400D is cheaper and has more megapix and the sensor cleaner, but it's lighter and less robust.

But it's only good for 10,000 clicks pre-service, the 30D is good for 100,000. Other nice additions include custom white balance and picture styles, better metering and other minor bits and bobs, but main benefit is lifespan.

I've read good things about the sony, but they are pretty new to this, so with the canon you have the benefit of years of experience in the field, especially when it comes to glass, and a fantastic range of lenses.

I've the USM/IS 28-135 which i'd recommend over the kit lens.

Also just got the 50mm prime 1.4 which weighs in at about 200 quid and is rather lovely:

You daft wee thing.

Nutty, I've had a quick look at the Sony stuff on flickr and it's certainly capable of producing very good imagery.

I had a snoop on discussions on the A-100 owners groups and the feedback is very positive. But can't help you as I've no experience of it myself.

My advice is go into a shop and try hefting them all, check the build quality, weight and interfaces. You don't have to buy there of course.

An interface imho can make or break a product regardless of the quality.

I love the thumb wheel on my 30D and find using my old 300D really problematic nowadays.

Hope some of this helps, have fun choosing and hope you join us on our walks some time :)

P