Forum Sponsors

www.nannycentral.co.uk

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageHow many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by Sol 13 March, 2013 17:17

How many more weeks holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools? I believe there are about 13/14 weeks holidays in the school year for state schools; how about private schools?

Is there a reason for this?

messageRe: How many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by Townleygreen 13 March, 2013 17:50

They tend to get about 17 weeks (at least the local day schools). But don't forget that they work longer days - finishing later that your state schools. Someone worked out that the number of hours worked at each was about the same.

messageRe: How many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by uncleglen 13 March, 2013 20:09

They have 2 weeks for the Autumn half term (state schools have 1) and they finish 2 weeks earlier in the summer. Yes they do work longer days- up to 4:15 whereas your average state school finishes at 3:30 0r before. There may well be a law about the hours students are entitled to be taught for....

Posted by Townleygreen 13 March, 2013 20:23

Many state schools finish way before 3.30!!- 2.15 in some cases

Posted by uncleglen 13 March, 2013 20:45

Good grief- what on earth do they get up to after 2.15 until mummy and/or daddy get home?

Posted by tomk 13 March, 2013 21:08

State schools = 12 weeks holiday pa. Most state schools finish somewhere between 3.10-3.30.

Posted by pebbles 13 March, 2013 21:08

Not sure about a reason but Dulwich day schools get 20 weeks holiday a year!!

Posted by woodrot 14 March, 2013 08:34

you are like seriously not like wondering why private skools have more holidays are you ?

please tell me it aint so

Posted by womanofdulwich 14 March, 2013 08:42

i think state schools have 13 weeks holidays, private about 17 weeks.you can add a few teacher training days to the state schools

Posted by Townleygreen 14 March, 2013 09:06

Pebbles said: Not sure about a reason but Dulwich day schools get 20 weeks holiday a year!!

No, they get 17 as I said earlier.

Posted by pebbles 14 March, 2013 09:11

Sorry to put all the schools under one bracket however my kids go to Dulwich Prep and they have 20 weeks

Posted by Townleygreen 14 March, 2013 09:14

OK, I was talking about the big 3 (Alleyn's, DC, JAGs)

Posted by adnankha2 August 05, 11:20PM

This forum requires you to create a new account because you do not use a ninjakiwi.com game account. It is said that you utilize the exact name to enroll. Do not take someone else's name. I want buy essays online uk now. New members need 5 posts and 1 day before they can create new topics. If you have questions and can not create a thread, use General Thread Questions. Fun, read the rules and enjoy the NK forum!

Posted by Bob Buzzard August 06, 09:01PM

My son will be starting at a new school in September- they have a two-week half term in October, 3 weeks at Easter and finish for the summer in early July (then Iím planning to go on holiday). Plus the Feb and May half terms and 3 weeks at Christmas.

Posted by malumbu August 06, 11:15PM

What a right on thread this is. When I moved to the area Lordship Lane was more like Poorship Lane. Since the area has become so gentrified and competition for places in state school I though you no longer had to pay for private education. Mind you Boris will bring back the Grammar Schools. Isn't this more of a discussion for mumsnet (that is not a gender specific comment I hasten to add.)

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum